No announcement yet.

10MM vs 44 Magnum Bear Medicine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For sheer power the 44 mag is the clear winner.

However the availability of 16 rounds of 200-220 grain hard cast loads is quite a bit of firepower.

I love my Glock 10mm but I honestly cant say which one I would take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
      Carry a can of bear spray, leave them at home and save the weight.
      And when the wind is in your face ? Swap places with the bear ?

Comment

Where are you hunter that bears are that bad? I have been in Colorado for 13 years now, bowhunting all over the state, was an outfitter and guided a LOT of elk and deer hunters, and never once even considered a sidearm. Screw that extra weight! Bears will usually make for parts unknown real quick in the woods. (By my house is another story) if you are that truly worried get a small
        Can of spray. Chances are you will never use it, and it's much lighter.

Comment

^^^curious as well. I agree in colorado, but he may be going to alaska for all we know.

Comment

I've been to Alaska several times. Take the one you shoot the best, it dont matter how big the round is if it don't hit the bear. Most guides I went on flyouts with carried a 12ga shot gun. I carried a 1911 in 45apc, it's what I shoot the best and have the most trigger time on. Just remember if the bear wants you he's gonna get you, so carry what makes you feel better.
            Once when I was there a guy killed a bear on the Russian River that walked up behind him to get fish carcass's and surprised him. He shot it one time with a .38 snud nose, I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it myself.
            Last edited by kevin nicholls; 02-24-2018, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
              Carry a can of bear spray, leave them at home and save the weight.
              Yeah, I'll pass:

Well-known researcher was apparently mauled by one of the giant animals he loved.

Notice the article says a "medium sized" Brown Bear. Dude basically just Cajun seasoned himself to make it more palatable.

Me, I own a 10mm but if I was knowingly going into bear country, even Black Bear, .44 Mag and I'm looking into the hotter rounds or even a larger caliber. No such this as overkill in that scenario.

Comment

I was going to buy a G20 but then I stumbled on a deal for a DW 357 6”. Compared to the G20 it’s about 4/10th of a lb heavier. Yes it doesn’t have the mag capacity, but I can push my loads into the 800 ft/lb energy range. Not to mention the trigger is worlds above what the G20 has. It’s not 44 mag power but I’ll have bear spray as my primary defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Twist
                  Cajun seasoned himself

Hahahaha

Comment

I kept my G40 on my hip this past season while bowhunting Black bear just in case

Comment

10 mm with corbon ammo

Comment

I'm in for the 10mm. With the right ammo, it is a very potent bear round. I will choose it any over bear spray or "hey bear" tactics.

Comment

Originally posted by rebelbow View Post
                          10 mm with corbon ammo

Is Corbon even still around anymore?

Underwood, Buffalo Bore and some Double Tap Ammo is the best Ammo for the 10mm these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Look up the 460 Rowland

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntermac View Post
                              Where are you hunter that bears are that bad? I have been in Colorado for 13 years now, bowhunting all over the state, was an outfitter and guided a LOT of elk and deer hunters, and never once even considered a sidearm. Screw that extra weight! Bears will usually make for parts unknown real quick in the woods. (By my house is another story) if you are that truly worried get a small
                              Can of spray. Chances are you will never use it, and it's much lighter.
                              This is my point exactly. I would bet I have spent as much or more time in the back country than most on here and never carried a firearm and only when needed carried bear spray. The guy in Kamchatka getting eaten by brown bears that he was living with was dead regardless of what he had with him.

Going into the backcountry is dangerous business. People die every year in the backcountry from hypothermia or simply falling off a cliff. It's much more rare for someone to be attacked by a bear and be killed, which is why it's a big deal and get's talked about when it happens.

Comment

Are you going to carry that semi auto hot, if not then go with a 44 mag.
                                Bear spray is the best bet though.
                                If you're hunting in NW Wyoming it is a must.
                                Grizz are expanding their range and a real threat. In some areas gunshots are a dinner bell for them. We had a many of bear "incidents" this past fall. False charges and down right attacks, not to mention the bears that just claim a kill and the hunters have to give it up.
                                Colorado not an issues but like I said NW Wyoming definately, and I have rarely if ever seen an Alaskan hunt where at least one person was not carrying a bear gun.

Comment

Working...
                                X