Title
    Attached Files

Some kind of allergy?

Comment

He's old and has freckles. So, call him "Freckles"

Comment

Face full of fire ants?

Comment

Almost looks like scarring. Was there a fire near there?

Comment

It almost looks like mange on his face or something similar. He looks pretty much hairless. I'm not sure if deer can get mange though.

Comment

Originally posted by Chasing_bone View Post
              It almost looks like mange on his face or something similar. He looks pretty much hairless. I'm not sure if deer can get mange though.

I think it's mange.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

He looks 124 years old

Comment

Demodectic mange

Comment

Older than dirt!

Comment

Some hair turns gray, some hair turns loose.
                      Looks like he is having a little bit of both going on.
                      Better put him out of his misery.

Comment

He has two drop tines!!!

Comment

I was bored so I did a search. I am not seeing this is it, but it seems similar to me.

He got this answer from a biologist:

"From the Bandera wildlife biologist.

When I first talked over the phone with you; I thought it was (DEMODECTIC MANGE). After seeing your photos I change my opinion to (DERMATOPHILOSIS).

The mange mite of white-tailed deer is Demodex odocoilei and many white-tailed deer that contract this disease may not show clinical signs or lesions. Also, white-tailed deer are the only host for this particular mite. This type of mange indicates small areas to extensive hair loss often accompanied by thickening of skin in affected areas; transmission among animals is by contact from infested animals or areas used by infested animals. Public Health Implications: Cases of mange in deer are noted in hunter killed animals and thus cause a concern to sportsmen. Since the lesions are only confined to the outside skin and do not affect the muscle tissues, consumption of infested deer does not pose a health risk.

Now; here's what your deer photos indicate to me! (DERMATOPHILOSIS) caused by bacterium; no clinical signs but infected animals may be weak and emaciated; typically have pustular inflammation of the skin with patchy hair loss. Lesions are covered by loose crusty scabs. Tufts of hair may become fused by hardened exudate and resemble the bristle portion of a small paintbrush. Lesions most frequently occur around the muzzle, eyes and ears but can be more extensive. Dermatophilus congolensis infects a wide variety of mammals including many species of wildlife, domestic animals and humans. Dermatophilosis should be suspected in any pustular or scabby skin lesion. Transmission; the organism can be easily transmitted by direct contact such as from doe to fawn by grooming or nursing. Also, blood feeding arthropods such as ticks or biting flies. Adult deer seem to tolerate infection well and usually recover without complications. The prognosis for fawns is less promising, with some becoming very weak and emaciated. Occasionally, fawns may die when lesions are severe. Public Health Implications: Dermatophilosis is transmissible to humans. The risk of human exposure from deer seems to be highest in individuals raising orphaned fawns since these animals often develop lesions. Use of proper sanitation, such as thorough washing of hands with hot soapy water, after contact with animals is important for prevention. Infections in people are usually mild and respond well to appropriate antibiotic treatment. Again! This is just my opinion of your deer photos! You may also Google these diseases and conduct your own search.

This came straight from his disease book and he stated that without having the deer he could only make a educated guess from my description and the pictures. Based on our conversation I will discard the meat."

Comment

Working...
                          X