No announcement yet.

Son's wanting a bow, thoughts guys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where are you located? Many local 4H clubs have an archery program. If you are near Smith County (Tyler), I can help you out.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Comment

He might be a little out of your range

Comment

After a visit to our local archery range I will get back to you guys and let you know what we are doing and maybe asking what steps to take next!! Great help so far guys.

Comment

Heck yeah he's old enough! Let's get that boy shootin'! There are definitely lessons availible. You might consider getting each of you a bow. Shooting together is a great way to spend some father/son time. And, in this case, y'all could learn together.

Comment

Originally posted by Pullersboy View Post
            Heck yeah he's old enough! Let's get that boy shootin'! There are definitely lessons availible. You might consider getting each of you a bow. Shooting together is a great way to spend some father/son time. And, in this case, y'all could learn together.
            This^^^^^.

My daughter's interest in archery is what got me started. I have very fond memories of practicing and shooting 3-D tournaments together. Priceless experiences.

Comment

Welcome aboard.

Check out the Bear Cruzer Lite. Great bow, easy on the pocket book, lots of cools colors and he will be able to use it for several years. Just got my 10 year old one.

Comment

Start kids as soon as they can draw a bow back. For any NEW archer, find the closest archery store and let them set him up with a bow as it will be fitted for him. Most stores love to talk to new archers and will assist them with their first bow purchase. Good Luck!
                Thanks for getting your child into archery, just always good to hear!

Comment

Get that boy a bow. We started at 3yr old.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JayH View Post
                    Hello Texas bowhunters forum,

It's great that you added me to this forum and I greatly appreciate it! I am here for a little advice on what I should do next, but let me start from the beginning.

Three mornings ago my boy came to me and asked if I could get in a bow for his next birthday, he even had examples in magazines that he was showing me. Now, I'm no expert when it comes to bows but I know that they can become dangerous if not handled correctly. Knowing this, my son will be turning 11 in 5 weeks and has his heart set on a bow but, Would you guys say 11 is safe to be handling a bow and arrow? and can you even get lessons for an 11-year-old?

These are some thoughts that are popping into my head right now but, there are much more when I get passed this stage like the bows themselves, Equipment, clothing and anything else that comes into this sport. I have found some here http://www.used.forsale/archery-youth-bow on a site I use this might help with what I'm looking for.

Really looking forward to speaking with you guys and seeing what you views on my boy getting his first bow is...

Thanks

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                    Welcome aboard.

Check out the Bear Cruzer Lite. Great bow, easy on the pocket book, lots of cools colors and he will be able to use it for several years. Just got my 10 year old one.
                    beararchery
                    I love the design of the bow in the link above this is just what I am looking for. At the weekend I have arranged to go with my son to get him measured up and see what's for him. While I am there I might as well treat myself to a measuring and a bow. As you guys said, it will be a lot better to do this activity with him, Loads of fun.

Comment

You will be glad you did! This will be something yall will always have to do together. Just be prepared bows are an addiction you can't shake haha yall have fun and keep us updated on what you find out and decide at the bow shop

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Absolutely ready now.
                        Shooting archery requires correct technique also called form. You learn that by taking some lessons.

I would find an archery shop (not a big box store) and sign him up for 3 or 5 lessons initially with a loaner bow. Then pick the bow to buy with guidance from who taught the lessons.

More important- get yourself a bow and learn together. Archery is one of the rare sports you can do with a child, and continue your entire life. It builds a great bond and friendship, my son started at that age and we still shoot and hunt together.

μολν λαβ

Comment

Welcome to the fire mate...

Comment

Welcome to the Fire! My oldest is 10 and currently shooting the Bear Apprentice III. Tons of adjustability and comes ready to rock from the store. Your boy will be hooked in no time.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                              Get that boy a bow. We started at 3yr old.

Future Deer slayer right there [emoji1303]

Comment

Originally posted by JayH View Post
                                As of the bow and arrows themselves, what kind of maintenance needs to be kept to keep them in prime condition? And what kind of costs are we looking at?

Thanks again guys
                                Maintenance is pretty low cost. The bow string and cables will need to be waxed regularly and the wax is pretty inexpensive. A cylinder of wax is less than $10 and will last several years.

Basic tools will be needed but especially a set of Allen wrenches for making minor adjustments, adding accessories and tuning.

Arrows are pretty easy. Carbon arrows should be "flex" tested if they come in contact with anything besides target material, including other arrows. Aluminum arrows, yes, they still make them, can be visually inspected for bends or stress fractures.

Pay particular attention to the nock, this is the part that attaches to the string; if it is in anyway deformed or cracked replace it immediately.

Fletching will be shot or torn off. A fletching jig is inexpensive and putting a new fletching on is very easy.

Keep everything in a dry, room temperature environment and it will last many years.

And welcome to the fire. There is nothing more rewarding than shooting with the family on a nice day at the range.

Comment

Working...
                                X