No announcement yet.

Best starter Gun for 6yr old?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it's for hunting, I'd say something in .223 or 22-250 that fits your budget. As stated above, the Savage Axis is a good start and you go from there as coin allows.

One thing I'd do is get it in a 22 inch barreled youth model. From there as they grow up, you can put a full size stock on it and they'll be set up with a varmint, pig, truck, fun gun.

I too like the 17hmr but as stated above is not at all forgiving to shot placement and while wounding a hog doesn't bother most of us it could bother a youngin.

You could go with a 243 but for small framed children it would require the managed recoil as they have more "pop" than most think. Especially in a small light rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
      I started to go this route with my son, but the AR was considerably heavier than bolt actions and not as comfortable to shoulder and shoot
      Yep. Why I suggest the micro bolt actions.

Comment

I think the Ruger American Rifle - Ranch looks pretty solid. 16" barrel would be great for a kid and I'd bet they can shoot.

Comment

I hate short barrels. Reducing the weight slightly by chopping off 4 inches
          Ain't worth the increased muzzle blast. Decrease weight by smaller scope, lighter stock, shorter stock, no sling and only a couple of bullets. But leave the barrels 22".

Comment

Howa mini action 7.62x39 or 6.5 Grendel. My pick 7.62x39 cheap effective ammo to hunt and practice. No advantage to 6.5 Grendel under 200yds. Order a barrel action and order Boyd's stock in a short length and a good recoil pad. You can hunt with with a 223 but 308-311 hole over any 223 hole any day of the week. A lost deer is the worst thing you can have with a young hunter. Put the odds in the favor.

Comment

Wow - lots of options and opinions here. My advice would be to let them try an AR-15 in 5.56mm out to see if it fits them well. The AR-15 just doesn't fit some people well. Assuming it fits your boys, then I'd get an AR-15, put a good mount and scope on it, a 10 round magazine (less weight, and less magazine height and bulk they have to fight with), and a suppressor. I know of many young/inexperienced shooters that can handle the AR-15, but the muzzle blast scares the heck out of them. Careful shot placement, and proper ammo selection, and they should be okay for hogs and deer.

As they get older, you could get them an upper in either .300, 6.8 SPC, etc. If they want to get into larger calibers.

Best of luck,

Dave

Comment

7mm08 in a bolt gun or 6.8spc in an AR

Comment

I started with a browning A bolt 25-06 with a muzzle brake. I started shooting it at six. In my opinion a lot of kids don't wanna screw up and fail especially in front of the person they look up to the most at that age there dad. I would never give a kid a 17 caliber gun at six and tell them to shoot a deer. Buy a 25-06 put a muzzle brake on it, they need to be wearing hearing protection anyways, and they can shoot it forever if they want to.

Comment

22 hornet!!!!!

Comment

Nice kill with BB gun.

Comment

AR 223. The stock will adjust and they will never out grow it. As they get bigger then upgrade to a bolt rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                          Just had to provide a little dishonest backup. :-).
                          I love this!

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                            Here ya go. Kill two birds with one stone.
                            http://www.cabelas.com/product/Savag...un/2286476.uts
                            I have almost the exact gun as this. Mine is a 222 over a 20 though. Shoots real good.

Comment

Originally posted by DWA View Post
                              22 hornet!!!!!
                              This!

Comment

This

This
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X