No announcement yet.

Semi-Live: Hunt for High Brow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not too bad actually. The wind has laid down ahead of this front. Supposed to switch from South to 4 West and then to 9 North around 11am here. At times right now it's dead calm. Great morning if it weren't for the moon! Didn't need a light to walk to the stand.

Will try to sit until 10 for that little mid morning hump on the game chart. Evening looks best but I have to run a movie on the big screen at work this evening. Barometer sucks but maybe deer will be up and moving ahead of a front.

Comment

Semi-Live: Hunt for High Brow

One day I hope to find out what all the crashing up in the trees is around here before first light. My first thought was owls. Bumper crop of owls this year. I think it follows the spike in rat population. It's not uncommon to sit and watch three or four big owls circling feeder at dark. I'm always jumping them out of trees when walking, as well.

Rats and mice creep me out. We're good as long as you stay over in your corner.

Hey Tgil, remember the time your pet camper mouse chewed up my glasses? That was fun.

Comment

Do you document your sightings based on the charts you look at to see how accurate they are for the area you hunt? I used to make notes for a couple of years when I followed the moon guide. I never really noticed much accuracy when hunting over feeders in Texas. Seems to be more validity when hunting out west where there are good bedding, transition and feeding areas. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Larry View Post
          Hey Tgil, remember the time your pet camper mouse chewed up my glasses? That was fun.
          About spewed coffee through my nose (at least it wasn't ice cream). I thought you were going to unfriend me over Fievel's misbehavior!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Redraider View Post
            Thoughts?
            How did the Indians ever get a meal? That's my first thought when I see the use of technology for hunts. Not saying it is of no use, but it does make me wonder some.

Comment

I don't document. Just a casual subscriber to it. I rarely hunt places wth good deer populations to study it any closer. Feeders definitely bend the curves. Overall I'm finding though that the charts are fairly accurate. I've had mornings where let's say the spike was at 9am. I won't see a thing until a switch seems to be flipped at 9 and then I see deer. Game cam pics are another way to keep tabs on it, and it's often easy to see deer are somewhat on schedule based on the charts. Same for full moon mid days. I think I first started looking at charts and barometric pressure on that Tell place, and I remember it being spot on some days. The rut blows it up and feeding deer has an impact for sure, though.

At the end of the day, the old saying of I'm gonna hunt when I can because I don't have much choice sort of takes over. Those charts give me something to do while sitting here staring at birds.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry View Post
                Those charts give me something to do while sitting here staring at birds and squirrel sex.
                [emoji2]

Comment

Originally posted by tgil View Post
                  How did the Indians ever get a meal? That's my first thought when I see the use of technology for hunts. Not saying it is of no use, but it does make me wonder some.

Sustenance lifestyles shouldn't really factor in the discussion, in my opinion. Having to hunt to live means you just hunt. But I still think natives went by SOMETHING to hunt. I'd love to read up on how and why they did what they did. Without the aid of modern things like light, did they hunt full moons at night? Being out and actually living with your prey would mean you pattern them more and might develop a sense of where they would be and maybe even why. They might not have based it on the solunar tables, but I'd imagine they couldn't afford to expend the time and energy if it would be a major waste of resources or reserves.

I've read about fisherman following solunar tables closely and swearing by them. Sure you can catch fish any time. What if the BEST times just happened to follow the charts? Do fish bite better on a rising or falling barometer? Are you gonna have a bad day on the water when the cows are laying down and not up eating? A fishing or hunting guide is gonna take your money and do his best to find what you're after. There are days that a fish will literally have lockjaw and watch a lure go by. Other days they attack it with a vengeance.

Same goes for deer, I think. Some days they're all up feeding and you might see dozens in a wheat field, for example. Other says you don't see a single deer in that same field. Maybe something impacts their pattern. Don't know that I'll ever be able to study it any closer than I do. I average seeing about .5 deer per sit on my little deer less. It's far from scientific for me.

I know fish aren't deer, but I personally feel that all animals do some of what that they do for reasons beyond simple explanation. Are there days that we feel really off or really on, and we're not sure why? We have to get up and go to work, so we don't always have a choice.

I find it all interesting. I wouldn't go so far to skip a weekend because the game chart or moon phase said to. I just like to dabble in it.

Comment

Feels like it dropped ten degrees in the last five minutes. There's a mouse living in the heater. I better not smell him. Ha! He just ran out. Sorry little fella. I'm cold!

Comment

Some of us have to get up and go to work, others get up and hunt. <<sigh>>

Comment

Good luck this morning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Maps look like the front is passing through your area now. Should be at my place starting at 2PM. Good luck this morning Larry.

Comment

Call off the search party. That didn't take long in the daylight. Bigger pig that I thought. Shot looks really good in the light. Maybe a tad high. No blood on ground at all. Crazy. I can see camp from here. He died in a dense plum thicket.

I give all the credit to my lucky whatever tail I found when I started looking. [emoji12]

Comment

Congrats on finding him. And that's a cottontail by the way. Big one too.

Comment

Everyone needs some lucky tail once in a while....I mean A...a lucky tail!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X