Lease pricing for cattle /hunting in Palo Pinto County

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lease pricing for cattle /hunting in Palo Pinto County

So here is the deal, my wife’s family has 175 acres in Palo Pinto County with a small cabin that I have hunted for over 20 years. I got a call from her uncle last night that he was going to lease for cattle for a year, which basically means I’ll fight the cow battle this coming season(food plots & feeders getting knocked over) not to mention the damage to my pop up blinds. I was wondering how to look up the current leasing price per acre for both grazing rights and hunting. Any info would really help. Was debating the cost of leasing from him to keep away the cattle plus I pay all upkeep since he lives out of state,or should I use that money and buy my own place somewhere else

Gotta keep something on the property that the land can carry or you will lose the ag exemption, then it will be bad tax wise. Grazing rights can very per acre my guess $6 acre for grazing rights only.

Comment

Check with the Ag county agent in that county. He/she could give you an idea of what the cattle lease would be worth per acre.

Comment

Local County Extension Agent should be able to tell you going rate on grazing in county. A lot will depend on improved pasture or just native

Comment

Originally posted by clffrdfdge View Post
          Gotta keep something on the property that the land can carry or you will lose the ag exemption, then it will be bad tax wise. Grazing rights can very per acre my guess $6 acre for grazing rights only.
          Once an ag exemption is in place you can get an ag exemption in Texas for raising wildlife at the value of the previous ag exemption.

Comment

I doubt the uncle is trying to make money. I be he just doesent want to loose ag exemption on the property. If you enjoy the place enough to deal with it, then either get some cows yourself, or convince him to go wildlife. If you go wildlife, then tell the uncle that you will handle everything, and pay all the property taxes in the future.

Depending on the quality of the land, lease prices could vary greatly. I doubt it will be enough to justify buying your own place though.

Comment

For perspective purposes.

We have land in coke county (200 acres) that is not ag exempt and the taxes are 12-14k a year. It takes 5 years to get ag exempt. Its a huge pain to get if you don't already have it.
              My buddy has grazing rights on the same amount of land in midland for 300-500 bucks.

Comment

Buy a couple old cows( as in headed for dog food) at auction for cheap and put on the place and so he can claim ag exemption. I put gate between my cousins place and ours so they can claim it. I put a few head on their place during the off season so its a plus for both of us. A basic lease for unimproved starts around 6.00 per acre. If you have good grazing grass, good fences, pens to work the cattle and a good water supply, price could go 10.00 per acre or more. EDIT AFTER GOOGLE SEARCH: You would need to check with your local Ag Extension office on the number of cow/calf units or what they require for the exemption. So it may not be as easy as buying a couple old cows. I know it did not take my cousin 5 years to qualify. Maybe different counties have different time lines?
                Last edited by brushtrooper; 02-02-2018, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by clffrdfdge View Post
                  Gotta keep something on the property that the land can carry or you will lose the ag exemption, then it will be bad tax wise.
                  I bet I haven't understood ag exemption right. Does leasing to hunters not count for an Ag exemption? Can't you get AG exemption for hunting / managing a deer heard?

Does it depend on the county?

thx

Comment

completely depends on what part of the county you are in. If you are in the cedar country I would say $6/acre would be tops, but if you are in some better grazing country then $10/acre is probably more like it.

Comment

Is the price per acre monthly or yearly?

Comment

Originally posted by passafist View Post
                        is the price per acre monthly or yearly?
                        annually

Comment

Originally posted by CJ776 View Post
                          I bet I haven't understood ag exemption right. Does leasing to hunters not count for an Ag exemption? no, live stock or some sort. Think even bees would pass

Can't you get AG exemption for hunting / managing a deer heard?yes, wildlife exemption.

Does it depend on the county?

thx

Comment

It's up the the county tax assessor for ag exempt in their county. not only does it vary from county to county but election to election.

Comment

It depends. I've seen it as low as $2 and as high as $35.

How much grass?
                              HOw many units per acre will it support?
                              How good are the fences and water? Crossed fenced?
                              How good is the support structure? Hay barns, working corrals, barns for cattle...

Comment

Working...
                              X