X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bitcoin

Comment

Originally posted by J Wales View Post
      To sleep good at night. Is the write-off on the low interest rate worth the piece of mind of having a paid off house?
      If I told you I could take that 40k and make you 7-8% over the life of your mortgage, would you still pay off your mortgage with the 40k?

Comment

Farm for 15 days..I think that Bitcoin idea is worth a shot

Comment

Originally posted by 12RingKing View Post
          If I told you I could take that 40k and make you 7-8% over the life of your mortgage, would you still pay off your mortgage with the 40k?
          Will you guarantee me 7-8% returns? With no mortgage, I can guarantee that I will sleep better.

Comment

Originally posted by J Wales View Post
            Will you guarantee me 7-8% returns? With no mortgage, I can guarantee that I will sleep better.
            Each to their own.

Paying a mortgage has never bothered me. Wasting money does.

There’s a reason why lots of wealthy people say that a mortgage is some of the cheapest money you’ll ever borrow. What comes in vs what goes out.

Comment

How would you invest $40k?

Nevermind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

1. I am not a CPA, but don't forget about Uncle Sam's share of that $40K inheritance.
                2. If I inherited $40K today, I would get a mortgage banker to tell me how much of a down payment I would need to buy some land. For a hypothetical scenario with easy math let's say the banker says I need $22K down. I would put $22K in a high-interest savings account (currently 1.5% at CapOne, so you'd earn $330 in interest per year, minus taxes). I would leave it alone until I had the monthly income to afford the mortgage payment, and when I did, I'd buy the land.
                3. I would invest the rest for retirement. I'm about as old as you. $18K invested at age 37 with a retirement target of 67 will yield $314,000 at 10% ROI. (By the way, if you put all $40K in, you'd end up with $700,000).

Comment

Unless cash flow issues, land.

Comment

nevermind as well

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                      1. I am not a CPA, but don't forget about Uncle Sam's share of that $40K inheritance.
                      2. If I inherited $40K today, I would get a mortgage banker to tell me how much of a down payment I would need to buy some land. For a hypothetical scenario with easy math let's say the banker says I need $22K down. I would put $22K in a high-interest savings account (currently 1.5% at CapOne, so you'd earn $330 in interest per year, minus taxes). I would leave it alone until I had the monthly income to afford the mortgage payment, and when I did, I'd buy the land.
                      3. I would invest the rest for retirement. I'm about as old as you. $18K invested at age 37 with a retirement target of 67 will yield $314,000 at 10% ROI. (By the way, if you put all $40K in, you'd end up with $700,000).
                      The good new is there are no federal estate (inheritance) taxes owed, unless you inherit $11.18 million or more.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                        Let me be the first to say hookers and cocaine! JK

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!!
                        This would be the most fun for the money
                        40k on hookers and cocaine you will be dead by the time your broke so the future won’t matter JMO

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
                          Why in the world would you pay off a a low interest rate mortgage on your house? Can someone explain this to me?

Edit: I would buy rental property in a good school district, or a index fund like someone said earlier.
                          For me I work in oilfield and there will be another bust at some point. If that’s paid off it’s less going out during the month and I can’t pull from most investments like they’re cash. I want it paid off quick as possible. Plus my construction loan was at 5%

Comment

Boy Scout cookies.

Comment

If you have a mortgage, do a loan re cast and dump the $40k in there. Payment can drop a pretty good lick.
                              At least get an estimate.

Comment

Land

Comment

Working...
                                X