New career

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New career

Ive been a mechanic for years and recently a service advisor. I cant stand the way people get treated around here. I want out of the car business. I know a little bit about a lot of things. Except welding but im dying to learn. If you know anyone hiring please let me know.

Hostile work environments suck. Good luck on something new.

Comment

Originally posted by silentstalker92 View Post
      Ive been a mechanic for years and recently a service advisor. I cant stand the way people get treated around here. I want out of the car business. I know a little bit about a lot of things. Except welding but im dying to learn. If you know anyone hiring please let me know.
      Where do you live, and what kind of pay range are you looking for?

Comment

I live in rye,tx its about 30 min north east of cleveland. I need be in the 40-50k range to account for bills. I have no problem with a hostile envrionment. My work ethic is unrivaled its just im an honest man and when my boss tells me to lie so he can make more money or stay out of trouble its unacceptable. Especially when it comes from the expensive of a customer.

Comment

if you don't mind, how old are you? I'm awaiting approval to hire another technician in the power generation industry. would require frequent travel.

Comment

Originally posted by Japeatr View Post
            if you don't mind, how old are you? I'm awaiting approval to hire another technician in the power generation industry. would require frequent travel.
            This is not technically illegal but you can't use that to discriminate against him...

Risky business asking that question
            Last edited by tfrye; 02-21-2018, 05:50 PM.

Comment

this isn't an interview, this is TBH

Comment

Originally posted by Japeatr View Post

He's 25 years old, and he's a very smart, honest, and a hard worker. Any company would be glad to have him.

Comment

I sold service for a while. Hated it. People come in mad and usually leave mad.....

Comment

good to know, have him PM me his contact info. I don't have approval to hire yet but expect to next month

Comment

I understand that, just odd that's the first question asked rather than past experiences and so on.. No worries either way, if you were closer silentstalker92 I would have you come by the shop. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by silentstalker92 View Post
                        PM sent

Comment

I will give you a little insight. I just talked to him. He may not want me to, but here is the quick version. He works for a car dealership. A lady came in and spoke Spanish. He was able to communicate with her enough to find out she had a vehicle towed in and needed to find out what it needed to run again. His technicians looked at it and determined the engine needed to be replaced. He called her and told her the bad news. She didn't have the money to replace the motor. So she was going to have a tow truck pick it back up. He told his techs to put the truck back together because she couldn't afford a motor and would come get it. Tow truck came and left with the truck. Now all this took place over a few days. She called him asking why the truck was in pieces. Well the technicians didn't put it back together. At this point he got his manager involved in an attempt to make this right. The manager told him to tell the lady she was going to have to pay for the parts to be put back on the truck. Even though the dealership did this. Well he said he couldn't tell this lady who cant afford to fix her vehicle in the first place that she was going to have to pay more money to put it back like she had it. So the manager called and told her. She said she couldn't pay. So that was that. Well he called the lady and told her he would come to her house when he got off work, and put the motor back together himself tonight for free. Sometimes you just have to treat people like people. He still has his job, but he wants to keep his integrity. If anyone has a career opportunity please let him know. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by tfrye View Post
                            I understand that, just odd that's the first question asked rather than past experiences and so on.. No worries either way, if you were closer silentstalker92 I would have you come by the shop. Good luck!
                            He said the possible job requires frequent travel. Standard minimum age to rent a car is 25 years old. Some agencies will allow down to 21, but will access additional fees.

I pretty sure it's not illegal for an employer to set a minimum age for a job based on that type of criteria. I could also see why that would be one of the first questions asked if it was unknown. Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainDave View Post
                              He said the possible job requires frequent travel. Standard minimum age to rent a car is 25 years old. Some agencies will allow down to 21, but will access additional fees.

I pretty sure it's not illegal for an employer to set a minimum age for a job based on that type of criteria. I could also see why that would be one of the first questions asked if it was unknown. Just a thought.
                              Figured he would get a work vehicle or just turn in miles. It's not illegal to ask or illegal to set a standard minimum age, I really wasn't trying to attack anyone on here. I do a fair amount of hiring and was just mentioning that I would never personally ask that question as it could possibly backfire on you. No harm intended, and within different industries and with minimum age requirements I can see how the question could come up.

Comment

Working...
                              X