6’ no plow/till seeder options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6’ no plow/till seeder options

Can anyone recommend a good 6’ wide no plow/till seeder that will not break the bank? Looking up farm equipment, prices, and sellers online is frustrating the heck out of me.

What’s you budget?

They are all expensive (to me, ... and I farm)

Comment

Like to keep it under $7k.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddox View Post
        Like to keep it under $7k.

Used you might could find one in that range. Look up compact notill drills. I think Great Plains makes one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

frontier conservation seeder CS1360

It's about 10K brand new, but john deere sells it and they often have 0% financing. I have one and it's pretty flawless and super easy to use. Very simple design. Comes standard with a large and small seed boxes.

Comment

The Firminator gets pretty good reviews. I wouldn’t buy anything Field Tuff puts out. Lots of options if you want to spend $10/$15K. Genesis, Brillion, Great Plains, Land Pride, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadEyeB View Post
              frontier conservation seeder CS1360

It's about 10K brand new, but john deere sells it and they often have 0% financing. I have one and it's pretty flawless and super easy to use. Very simple design. Comes standard with a large and small seed boxes.
              Direct knowledge is what I was looking for. Thanks.

Would you agree that it is a no-till design or do you do some ground work before planting. Im looking for something that I can use after mowing and spraying that will prep seed bed, plant, and cover in one trip. Any problems with Oats?

Thanks

Comment

Great Plains has a new No-Till Seeder that they came out with recently. 7', 9', and 11'

Guy around here bought one this spring and is pleased with it, not sure on the price though

Comment

Direct knowledge is what I was looking for. Thanks.

Would you agree that it is a no-till design or do you do some ground work before planting. Im looking for something that I can use after mowing and spraying that will prep seed bed, plant, and cover in one trip. Any problems with Oats?

Thanks
                  it's no till. Has super sharp spikes that cut through the dirt and or plant matter. It drops the seeds through a little siphon, then covers it back up.

There isn't quite a science to it though. There are some general numbers on how open the seed box needs to be based on the size of seed, but might not necessarily have your specific seed. This determines the rate that it spits the seeds out so you want to try and be sorta close with that.

Then from there the tricky part for me is depth. Depth is set by how high you have the whole unit. So you have to find that spot when you are stationary and just try to keep it in the same spot as you go. Which gets a little tricky when turning around or if the ground is uneven.

Some trial might have to take place depending on what you are planting, but I imagine as long as you get some good rain you'll be fine.

Rain part is the hardest for me haha

Comment

Im planting Whitetail Institute Oats Plus, Fusion, and No Till this Fall.

Comment

Im planting Whitetail Institute Oats Plus, Fusion, and No Till this Fall.
                      yeah so the seed boxes have these dials on the side that set the seed opening size. The point of these is to basically set the pace at which the seed falls.

In the book that comes with it there is a chart that has fairly common seeds and what the recommended settings are. You'll just have to play it by ear a bit but try to match the seed with something they have listed.

It's a bit of a trial and error thing, but if you get plenty of rain in your neck of the woods you should be able to be a pro after just a couple of seasons.

you can also just look back and see the seed fall and stop and look at the seed box to see how fast the seed is coming out. You can def tell if it's too slow, but if it's coming too fast it's a little harder to tell other than you empty your seed box too fast.

Then again it also depends on the plant itself. If it likes it's space you have to pace it differently.

Cool thing about this seeder though is it's literally 1 knob to set that per seed box.

Check out the youtubes out there on it.

Comment

Anyone know someone in the Lufkin/Groveton area that rents them?

Comment

Maybe look up a pasture dream, they are old but work well. Usually can pick them up relatively cheap, but might have to do a little searching for a good one or put a little money into it. We have 2 of them that we plant oats with in the fall.

Comment

Anyone know someone in the Lufkin/Groveton area that rents them?
                            I would be interested in the answer to that question myself. I will have my tractor and tiller and all over by Groveton in a week and a half if you need to use any of it, you can. I know that isn't what you're after, but the offer stands if you don't have any luck with what you're looking for.

Comment

there is a used land pride 606nt pull type on east texas craiglist for 16,500"

acre meter reads 89 acres, as i recall

bill

Comment

Working...
                              X