My kids made me proud today!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My kids made me proud today!!

Made the 8 hr trek to deep S Tx with my 15 yr old son and 12 yr old daughter to do some hunting with my dad in the area that I grew up hunting. This is a new piece of property my dad just gained access to this year so we didn’t really know what to expect, but being that the land owner said it hadn’t been hunted much in several years we were pretty confident we’d have a chance at some decent deer. My daughter and I hadn’t been in the stand 5 min after dropping everyone off when my son texted that he already had 5 deer out. Next text was “big bodied deer definite buck can’t tell how big yet”. Followed by “holy crap” he’s huge Dad!! [emoji23] I gave him the green light and said it’s up to you. The buck walked off several times following a doe and finally came out and gave him a shot. The phone rang and he could hardly get any words out. “I got him! He dropped in his tracks. OMG he huge!!” He was breathing like he just ran a 400 m sprint. Emma said let’s go see him. We pulled up to him, and I have to admit I was pretty shocked. Samuel didn’t exaggerate any. This was a toad of an 8. As big as anything I’ve got on the wall. An hr later after lots of pictures and congratulations, we’re headed out to the main road and I look down the same sendero he shot his buck in to see some javalina. We get out so Emma can take a shot at one, and I’m looking through my binos and see several bucks at the far end on of which looks pretty good. So we load up, drive around to a crossing sendero, and slowly ease our way to the bucks. We had to belly crawl out to the middle of the sendero to get a clear shot. I had grabbed a Gatorade bottle to use as a gun rest so Emma wouldn’t have to make a free handed shot from the prone position. She got the buck in her sights, and we patiently waited for him to turn broadside. He ended up walking straight toward us and made the shot at least 50 yds shorter. [emoji1303] I told her he’s really not that big, but he’s a great first buck trying to keep her calm. He finally turned quartering to us, and I said there’s your shot. She squeezed it off and made a near perfect shot with the same old Savage lever action .243 I shot my first deer with 35 yrs ago. We gave him some time and waited for Dad and Samuel to join us before starting the track. It was a short one. He didn’t make it 20 yds into the thorny S Tx brush.

I couldn’t be more proud of my kids. An 8 pt of a lifetime on a solo hunt and a 10 pt first buck shot from the ground on a spot n stalk accompanied by my hero and man that started me out hunting when I was 5 yrs old!! Gonna be hard to top this day...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SKLOSS; 11-20-2017, 08:53 PM.

Awesome!!!

Comment

Heck yeah Great job.Congrats

Comment

CONGRATS to All of Y'all!! Great times there. Priceless memories made for sure!!!

Comment

Congrats. Id be proud too! Great memories made.

Comment

Good stuff. Big congrats to y’all.

Comment

Congrats to all of you. Great pics. Memories made there. Good job.

Comment

Whoa- heck of a day!! So many traditions listed!

Comment

Sounds like a great hunt. Congrats to both!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Comment

congrats on the success and memories for a lifetime!

Comment

Good stuff Kevin...congrats!

Comment

Awesome hunt and great memories. I grew up hunting with my Grandpa and will never forget the good times we had.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome story, write and memories for a lifetime. Bigger deer than I've ever got. Congratulations to you all

Comment

Nothing but awesomeness here

Comment

Man that’s great stuff. Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X