Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protein question

Hey folks,

I have a question about protein. Somewhere I read or heard not to feed multiple kinds of protein at the same time because it will mess with the deer’s digestive tract. Is this true? I want to run some different brands of proteins in different locations on our place this year as a sort of test. I know I have some bucks hitting multiple feeders and I don’t want to screw up what I have going.

I believe that if the protein percentage is the same and the composition is fairly similar you should be fine.

Comment

Same stuff goat/ deer pellets

I think I am switching to a goat pellets, I was studying up on all our feeds available, and all the protein %'s and mineral package, crude fiber ect
      Are all 100% identical, just different packaging/ bags
      But deer pellets are $4 more per unit
      I grilled the owner and he just shuffled around the subject never telling me it isn't different
      So I don't think if you would have a problem with upsetting the stomachs of wild deer

Where I am currently hunting ,double down and LE are a special order and run $2-$3 a bag over our locally blended stuff(which is more expensive than goat), I will go back to premium blend when I find a closer source

Comment

In for the discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
          I think I am switching to a goat pellets, I was studying up on all our feeds available, and all the protein %'s and mineral package, crude fiber ect
          I grilled the owner and he just shuffled around the subject never telling me it isn't different
          So I don't think if you would have a problem with upsetting the stomachs of wild deer

Where I am currently hunting ,double down and LE are a special order and run $2-$3 a bag over our locally blended stuff(which is more expensive than goat), I will go back to premium blend when I find a closer source
          How are you analyzing the ingredients, just by the tag or did you send it to a lab?

Comment

Originally posted by Kdog View Post
            How are you analyzing the ingredients, just by the tag or did you send it to a lab?
            No lab work just using the spreadsheets provided by both mills
            Only difference seen is copper levels from different mills

Comment

Goat pellets???? Have to look in to this.

Comment

No lab work just using the spreadsheets provided by both mills
                Only difference seen is copper levels from different mills
                Thanks Pilar.

Maybe someone can answer the question, but what actually is in the pellets? I know I have read they use Peanuts for Double Down feed but what are the common ingredients for the other types of feed?

Comment

Double down's active ingredient is unobtainiumkryptoids.

Comment

Must be your area concerning prices. I looked up goat pellets on the Tractor Supply website and they are no less that other protein brands. Some of the goat pellets were four to five dollars more than L&E feed. I would still be curious if the deer would eat the goat pellets. Let us know if you try it out.

Comment

Originally posted by ByronB View Post
                      Must be your area concerning prices. I looked up goat pellets on the Tractor Supply website and they are no less that other protein brands. Some of the goat pellets were four to five dollars more than L&E feed. I would still be curious if the deer would eat the goat pellets. Let us know if you try it out.
                      I did try goat pellets at my house and the deer ate the entire load in short order
                      But they also cleaned up the whole cotton seed
                      My feed mills offer 6 different types of goat feed and some was as expensive or more expensive due to it being medicated and different applications (some of the deer pellets are medicated too and very in application)so I just used a apple to apple comparison, on protein content and other ingredients( minerals package) and then moved to price compared

On a side note I my 5 years notes from south Texas found Dilly feed & grain , and LE to have the highest consumption rates and most favorable results ! Over purina, and mummies (a local brand)
                      Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 01-22-2018, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IbeHuntn View Post
                        Hey folks,

I have a question about protein. Somewhere I read or heard not to feed multiple kinds of protein at the same time because it will mess with the deer’s digestive tract. Is this true? I want to run some different brands of proteins in different locations on our place this year as a sort of test. I know I have some bucks hitting multiple feeders and I don’t want to screw up what I have going.
                        For what it is worth I fed one type of protein January to May and switched to a different brand first of June. About 6 out of 10 bucks had deformed antlers that year and my fawn crop was way down. Many people post on this site that say they switch feeds all the time and have no issues. It was a issue for me because all that time and money I invested that year was for naught.

Comment

I did try goat pellets at my house and the deer ate the entire load in short order
                          But they also cleaned up the whole cotton seed
                          My feed mills offer 6 different types of goat feed and some was as expensive or more expensive due to it being medicated and different applications (some of the deer pellets are medicated too and very in application)so I just used a apple to apple comparison, on protein content and other ingredients( minerals package) and then moved to price compared

On a side note I my 5 years notes from south Texas found Dilly feed & grain , and LE to have the highest consumption rates and most favorable results ! Over purina, and mummies (a local brand)

That is great!!!! I am no protein expert by any means. Sounds like you also have the "goat" feed down as well. When my Daughter raised goats and pigs for FFA I never questioned her. She knew what she was talking about. I promise you I did not.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTK View Post
                            For what it is worth I fed one type of protein January to May and switched to a different brand first of June. About 6 out of 10 bucks had deformed antlers that year and my fawn crop was way down. Many people post on this site that say they switch feeds all the time and have no issues. It was a issue for me because all that time and money I invested that year was for naught.
                            I'm not really trying to switch mid season, I want to feed different proteins at different locations on out place at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by IbeHuntn View Post
                              I'm not really trying to switch mid season, I want to feed different proteins at different locations on out place at the same time.
                              Speaking from the peanut gallery, I was on a 15000 acre place and we tried almost every brand under the sun at the same time with various consumption rates and results
                              With many deer eating out of many different feed stations in a week
                              If your herd is healthy ? And you have the time I would place three molasses tubs with all the different types you want to checkout and TC them and see what your deer favor, it is my belief deer will not eat a feed that gives them a sour stomach?
                              Our final results were our deer liked some of the dilly feed & grain products and LE products. ALL the deer liked cotton seed

Comment

Working...
                              X