What Poundage are you using?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Poundage are you using?

Watching Ted Nugent's hunting show, he said that he is shooting 50lbs.
    That seems low but he is very successful at harvesting deer.
    I think I'm at 64lbs.
    It seems that Kinetic Energy is more important than the speed according to some articles I've read.
    If you have to strain or grunt when pulling your bow back, that may be a clue that it's too much.

The Realtree Store is the best place to find all of your favorite products in your favorite Camo Patterns | Realtree the Best Camo Patterns World Wide.

I went from 70#s to 55 because of him and I have had zero problems.

Comment

50 lbs here, a good cut on contact broad head is key.

Comment

My elite is a 50-60lb bow and I think it's set at 59 or 60.

I see no reason for me to ever shot 70lbs again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jkyle1 View Post
          Watching Ted Nugent's hunting show, he said that he is shooting 50lbs.
          That seems low but he is very successful at harvesting deer.
          I think I'm at 64lbs.
          It seems that Kinetic Energy is more important than the speed according to some articles I've read.
          If you have to strain or grunt when pulling your bow back, that may be a clue that it's too much.

https://www.realtree.com/kinetic-ene...tum-calculator
          Kinetic energy is derived from speed. Momentum is what's important.

Comment

I shoot 64 pounds. Rage 2 blade. I do not know my total weight but I shot a light weight arrow. I hunt mainly in the hill country and do not have issues getting pass throughs.

-john

Comment

Comment

70lbs which isn't necessary but I'm comfortable with it and its fast (so more KE and flatter trajectory for what its worth).

Uncle Ted is also getting older so maybe 55 is what he is comfortable pulling.

Comment

Comment

I've always shot 70# just because I can. It is not difficult to draw in any way. This year, my shoulder hurt a bit and had one of my bows dropped to 65# and I love it. Haven't shot anything with it yet but I know it will still blow thru anything in Texas.

Comment

65#

Comment

63 lbs

Comment

53-54# with hypodermics. Shot a 350# mule deer two weeks ago with no problems. Have shot a few whitetail at 49# with hypodermics at 30 yards both complete pass throughs

Comment

I still shoot 70#, and it's easy for me to draw and let down. I would have no worries about changing to a lighter draw weight though. I stay with 70 mostly because I like to keep the distance between my sight pins as narrow as possible (more speed) so the variation between yardages if I misjudge aren't quite as large. Maybe that's not a huge issue either, but shot placement is more important than broadhead selection or arrow weight or whatever - and inches matter in shot placement. At least that's my thinking. If I ever get to where it becomes a struggle to pull, hold, and let down 70#, then I'll switch to a different draw weight in a heartbeat though.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X