TX Supreme Court allows property to be landlocked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TX Supreme Court allows property to be landlocked

This case involved two Collin County properties - the Staley Tract, which was landlocked, and the Stiles Tract, the property adjacent to the Staley Tract. Both properties were once part of an 1853 land grant from the State. In 1886, the land grant was partitioned into separate tracts and severed. The eventual owner of the Staley Tract (“Staley”) sought to establish a roadway easement across the Stiles Tract. The trial court rendered judgment finding that Staley was not entitled to an easement across the Stiles Tract. The court of appeals affirmed, holding that there was no evidence that, at the time the two tracts were severed, the easement would have resulted in access to a public road from the landlocked property. The Supreme Court affirmed, holding that Staley failed to establish entitlement to a necessity easement across the Stiles Tract.

I've always heard "no property can be landlocked in Texas!"
    Well, according to this court case that's not always true.

It is not uncommon in Texas for a landowner, for example, someone who has inherited property, to find that the property is landlocked and without access to a public road. Sometimes access to the ...

"The Court noted that proof of unity of ownership and current necessity of a roadway are not enough to establish an easement by necessity, and that the party seeking the easement must prove the necessity existed at the time the dominant and servient estates were severed. In this case, the Court held that Staley had failed to show that, at the time of severance, a necessity across the Stiles Tract to a public road existed."

Wow thats BS.

Comment

That will go to a higher court....they are arguing over proof of necessity for something that transpired in 1866?

Comment

Looks like this came out in 2016, why is it news now?

Comment

Originally posted by Tuffbroadhead View Post
          That will go to a higher court....they are arguing over proof of necessity for something that transpired in 1866?
          The supreme court is the highest court in Texas
          Lower court already landlocked it
          He appealed to Supreme court and they affirmed
          Which is the case I linked above is the affirmation

Not only that, the guy that wanted the easement got hit with like a $50k attorney bill for the defendant!

So, as we see, your land CAN BE landlocked.

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
            Looks like this came out in 2016, why is it news now?

Because last month on this site folks are still passing around the notion that no land can ever be landlocked in Texas.
            That's a great amount of misinformation that can ckst some folks a great deal of coin.

I relied on that similar info and bought landlocked property in December
            For the last three months ive been having lawyers shoot me down on taking my case to get an easement by necessity because they point to this case.

So now I must sell to the guy who has road frontage for less profit than I'd have liked.

Comment

Stiles is shown in green. Staley is shown by the arrow.

Staley alleged that the Staley Tract has been landlocked since 1866 and an easement of necessity across the Stiles Tract to the public road was created at the 1866 severance because Honey Creek and its tributaries bordering the Staley Tract on three sides was impassable. However, Staley provided no evidence that a public road existed abutting either estate at the time of severance. There was no evidence of any road on or abutting either tract in maps from 1936 or 1944.

Staley heirs screwed themselves back in the 1800s.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                Because last month on this site folks are still passing around the notion that no land can ever be landlocked in Texas.
                That's a great amount of misinformation that can ckst some folks a great deal of coin.

For the last three months ive been having lawyers shoot me down on taking my case to get an easement by necessity because they point to this case.

So now I must sell to the guy who has road frontage for less profit than I'd have liked.
                I hope that the information you relied on wasn’t from an Internet forum. I have heard this “no landlocked in Texas” deal for years from well intentioned and professional people and I always argue that isn’t the case. I own landlocked land own land in front of landlocked people. It’s just the way it is.

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post

But, but, according to TBH, you don't need a realtor or real estate attorney to buy land, it's easy! Title insurance is a joke! Why pay all those fees just to buy land?

Comment

It's pretty cut and dried IMO.
                    The back story isn't in there, but what happened at the comma in:
                    "After acquiring the Staley Tract, Staley sued the owners of the Stiles tract[...]"
                    is pretty important here and probably the best opportunity for friendly resolution.
                    The land was and had been land locked for a looong time when they bought it. Nothing the court did created that situation.
                    Lesson: don't buy landlocked property unless you want to be at the mercy of your neighbors.

Comment

Originally posted by The Crippler View Post
                      But, but, according to TBH, you don't need a realtor or real estate attorney to buy land, it's easy! Title insurance is a joke! Why pay all those fees just to buy land?
                      Originally posted by hardtner View Post
                      I hope that the information you relied on wasn’t from an Internet forum. I have heard this “no landlocked in Texas” deal for years from well intentioned and professional people and I always argue that isn’t the case. I own landlocked land own land in front of landlocked people. It’s just the way it is.
                      Yes I relied on the internet for that info.
                      But lucky for me it was a cash deal and I got it for a song (Me thinks because the former owners knew this landlocked situation)
                      I still jumped on it thinking I could use The Art of The Deal and get the frontage road owner to workwith me.
                      No dice.
                      So I'm going to sell to him for a profit But not the PROFIT that I had in mind.
                      Oh well. At least I didn't lose on this one and this is the last time I'm ever buying landlocked anything!

Comment

So the thread i started a month back regarding buying land locked land.

So there is 2 gates on old paved county roads that access the "river bottom". After meeting with the landowner that put the gates up. His explanation was. The landowners in the "river bottom" own the gates. Giving us a key is no problem and it is an old county road.
                        That road then turns to dirt. At which time the landowner owns both sides of this old county road that is now dirt. He agreed that we will always have access to our property. However he does NOT want to do legal easement because he may one day decide he want to reroute the road but will always provide access to the land. Again according to the county cad map this is an old county road. So according the real estate and him we have a easement of prescription. The lawyer we hired wasn't much help other then he can annex that county road and own it. And he says we will always have access. There is 3 landowners using the same easement and have been for well over 50 years. This owner just purchased and annexed in the last 5years.

I would attach a map describing everything but I have no computer skills like some of you.
                        Last edited by elliscountyhog; 05-23-2018, 09:36 AM.

Comment

It happens a lot. THe rancher behind us at our old place parceled out pieces to church members with no easement to get to it other than his word. He dies and there are people behind us with no road access to property. At that point the property loses most of its value as it only has utility to someone adjacent to the property that already has road access.

A bank will not finance any property that does not have a recorded deeded easement to it from the main road.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by batmaninja View Post
                              Staley heirs screwed themselves back in the 1800s.
                              Staley screwed themselves when they acquired the property in 2009.

Originally posted by hardtner View Post
                              ^^this

lol
                              somebody's going to end up saying the same thing at some point about all these NFA trusts.

Comment

Working...
                              X