New Lights At the Feeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Lights At the Feeder

Been using lights on poles wired to t-posts at my feeders, but the other night as I sat for a couple of hours with the lights shining places they weren't supposed to shine, I came up with a plan that should fix the problem once and for all. Built the 2x4 frame to fit around the bin, put eyebolts in at the corners to accept the spike of the light, and then just put a screw through the spike to hold it in place. Lights can be rotated left and right, and in and out, and now I won't be having to constantly re-aim them due to wind and cow activity.

Next time I hunt here I'll post up a report.

Good luck!

Comment

That is a lot of light.

Comment

I like your setup. That is until the coons figure out it's a perfect place to park their azzes while they monkey with your lights and the wires. Let us know how it works out. I assume they come on at dusk and stay on until they lose stored up battery power.

Comment

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
          I like your setup. That is until the coons figure out it's a perfect place to park their azzes while they monkey with your lights and the wires. Let us know how it works out. I assume they come on at dusk and stay on until they lose stored up battery power.
          qb---fortunately, I have another feeder in a pen trap about 60 yds away towards the creek and the coons stay there. Once they get comfy, it is Duke's time for them--

And, yes the lights have a built-in photocell activator and stay on about 6-8 hours, depending on whether I have them on which brightness setting I have them on.

Comment

Did you use colored plastic or a marker to make the lights green/red?

Comment

These. One small screw holds the light in place. No wires, no nothing for coons and such to mess with. Attach directly to feeder and cheap.

Bright? super bright and you can do motion sensor or non sensor. Cover the light plate with red plastic adhesive and your done if you don't want the white light.

Comment

Should work. I have been thinking about doing something very similar for my back yard feeder so I can see the pigs at night from the back porch. Good idea you came up with.

Comment

I have the exact same lights on my feeder but I put a red film on the lenses. I put them out a few months ago and haven't been back to the lease since then. I'm hoping they are still running.

Comment

TexasArchery 27 -- no color, just the white light. Been working for me for at least 7-8 years now. Hogs get used to it.

Crooked Arrow---I like the lights that are on all the time and not motion activated. I suppose the hogs would get used to the motion-activated lighting but in the past, witha rifle-mounted light, every time I shined them, regardless of color or how slow I lit them up, they flushed like a covey rise.

Comment

Your rig looks great, and if it works then hey that's even better!

Initially I thought about rigging up some solar lights and attaching to the feeder as well. I knew for sure I didn't want motion sensor ( $30 wildgame innovation feeder leg light would send them running on cam), so it had to be photocell and hopefully at least 6 hours of run time.

Ultimately decided against it for a few reasons:

1.) I'd read that water can accumulate in those little solar panels
                      2.) Wasn't sure it would cast enough light
                      3.) On camera it appeared the hogs liked to hang out about 5 yards away from the legs.

Here's my rig:

(1) 56 LED 800 Lumen Solar light - Amazon $60, (1) 2x4x8 ' (1) 2x4x6' (2) 18" sections of 2x4, (2) T-posts, and fenicing wire to hold them on. Later added 2 T-post/Rope anchors on each side. (2) 5''x5'' Sections from a Sprite bottle (Ironed it flat and inserted the pieces on the outside glass of the light). Total height is just over 12' tall, and casts light with about a 15 yard diameter
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by TexasArchery_27; 05-14-2018, 12:16 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Working...
                      X