Giraffe hunt help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giraffe hunt help.

Leaving for South Africa the end of August and I’ll be chasing one of these tree toppers. Anyone have a arrow set up that has worked for them? I know I want to be around 850 grains. Broadhead is still up in the air as well, but will be a solid cut on contact, single bevel. 74lb elite at 28”.

Diamond S might have shot a G with his bow

Comment

Never shot one but I’d think the lower half is pretty similar to an elk. A lot of info on those setups.

Comment

There’s a thread from a member on here who killed a Cape buffalo with a recurve earlier this year. I would probably go with a similar set up as his as giraffe’s are very big and big boned animals.

Comment

Per my PH they are much tougher to kill than a buffalo. He said he has hunters kill capes all the time with 70lbs, but won’t allow the same setup on a giraffe. Apparently their skin is incredibly thick. They are more along the lines of a elephant set up. 850-900 grains with a solid head is a serious set up. With the proper shot placement I can’t imagine anything on this earth that can handle that.... surely someone on here has some more experience with them than I do though.

Comment

J-J Matt just got back (check his thread out) where they killed one. I would check with him.

Comment

As you stated, heavy arrow and heavy broad head. I would go with no less than a 900 grain total weight arrow. Tip it with something like a Ed Ashby 315 grain single bevel. These are some seriously tough animals that are really hard to bring down.

I have witnessed one take 3 rounds from a 375. First shot he went over a 1/4 of a mile, second round he went about 500 yards. Third round was really not needed because he was starting his death wobble. All 3 shots were money and under 120 yards. They are just that tough.....and big!!!

I was not as wise when I shot mine, 3 arrows later I put him down with a 375. I can tell you a magnus in no match for a giraffe and anything under 800 grains will not do the job unless you are extremely lucky.

Comment

Kinda off topic but how do they taste?

Comment

Originally posted by Diamond S View Post
                  As you stated, heavy arrow and heavy broad head. I would go with no less than a 900 grain total weight arrow. Tip it with something like a Ed Ashby 315 grain single bevel. These are some seriously tough animals that are really hard to bring down.

I have witnessed one take 3 rounds from a 375. First shot he went over a 1/4 of a mile, second round he went about 500 yards. Third round was really not needed because he was starting his death wobble. All 3 shots were money and under 120 yards. They are just that tough.....and big!!!

I was not as wise when I shot mine, 3 arrows later I put him down with a 375. I can tell you a magnus in no match for a giraffe and anything under 800 grains will not do the job unless you are extremely lucky.
                  Good advice. That pretty much mirrors what my PH told me. As a whitetail hunter a 900grain arrow seems insane to me!

Comment

Originally posted by CodyWitt View Post
                    Good advice. That pretty much mirrors what my PH told me. As a whitetail hunter a 900grain arrow seems insane to me!
                    The people at Grizzlystik had a hard time convincing me to shoot my Cape with a 950 grain arrow, but I did, and I am glad I did. He went 90 yards and done.

The hardest part for me was how slow the arrow was, but when you think which you would rather be hit with, a 90 mph ping pong ball or a 20 mph bowling ball it becomes clear. With things like a Cape and Giraffe you want all the momentum you can get out of your setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Diamond S View Post
                      The people at Grizzlystik had a hard time convincing me to shoot my Cape with a 950 grain arrow, but I did, and I am glad I did. He went 90 yards and done.

The hardest part for me was how slow the arrow was, but when you think which you would rather be hit with, a 90 mph ping pong ball or a 20 mph bowling ball it becomes clear. With things like a Cape and Giraffe you want all the momentum you can get out of your setup.
                      Very true. I was going to give them a call at grizzleystick and pick their brains about it too. They should be able to point me in the right direction.

Comment

This is what you have to penetrate.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	2199DAB0-27FA-4206-9038-6B73934899CC.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	24584809

Comment

Neck shot FTW

Comment

Last trip to RSA one of my hunters killed a huge bull giraffe. The PH wanted 80 pounds minimum and a cut on contact two blade head. He shot 80 and a Grizzly Stic with a Silver Flame 180.
                            The PH would only let him take a frontal shot, just off center, just below the neck/ shoulder. He got the shot at 25 yards and the arrow penetrated about 15/16 inches and into the top of the heart. It looked like a garden hose skirting thru a slice and like a ribbon of blood.
                            He was up for 45 minutes before the second shot it the base of the head.
                            The skin on the base of the back of the neck is 2 or 3 inches thick!!!
                            HUGE TUFF CRITTERS for sure.
                            Good luck and listen to your PH.

Comment

the big G full body cape is about 6-700 pounds. Nothing like an elk as the hide is "fend off Lions" thick.

choose heavy single bevel and sharp.

Comment

Working...
                              X