Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fathers, your thoughts on newborn screens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fathers, your thoughts on newborn screens?

Soon to be father... about 7 weeks left. I went to a baby class last Wednesday and found out that the kid will be subject to two mandatory screens, PKU and Newborn.

I wouldn't have a problem with this except that the screens aren't done at the hospital. The kid's blood get sent to Austin and the Texas Department of State and Health Services runs the tests. Why does the government need my kid's DNA the day after it's born?

I'm not a conspiracy theorists by any means, but this is just odd. If it's so important to catch abnormalities, why not do it at the hospital by a private company instead of shipping it to Austin to have the government run tests and send results in 8-10 days?

You can opt out for "religious reasons." Any of y'all ever opt out?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that we both did genetic testing before being pregnant and it's impossible for the kid to have a genetic disorder. We also tested the kid's DNA in utero and the kid is "at very low risk" for any disorder. This was done in house by a private HCP.

^ Link to the FAQ on DSHS.
    Last edited by ctom87; 09-30-2019, 05:11 PM.

I can’t comment on the necessity but that heel ***** is horrible on them. It barely bleeds and they squeeze the foot like crazy to get enough of the “small amount”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I never realized the gov does the test. I assumed the hospital did it. It doesnt sit right with me either, but atleast its state.

Comment

The goal of the testing is to diagnose diseases that need to be found treated quickly. You generally aren’t going to see much of anything wrong on physical exam. The test are done at birth and 2 weeks. You can get false positives on the first test related to organ immaturity in the newborn. The vast majority of the original positive tests then come back negative on the second screen. I have never had a patient refuse the test. The heel stick is not horrible on them. All babies can do is scream and cry, and they are going to do that any time they are examined. The heel stick is not nearly as bad as a lumbar puncture or other procedures that sometimes have to be done. They will quickly get over it with a bottle or pacifier and some rocking. Just realize that by doing the test you are trying to make sure your baby is healthy. By having the testing run by the state the cost stays down. If it was run by a third party then they could sell information to other parties just like 23 and me and the other genetic testing companies already do.

Comment

Originally posted by TX Doc View Post
          The goal of the testing is to diagnose diseases that need to be found treated quickly. You generally aren’t going to see much of anything wrong on physical exam. The test are done at birth and 2 weeks. You can get false positives on the first test related to organ immaturity in the newborn. The vast majority of the original positive tests then come back negative on the second screen. I have never had a patient refuse the test. The heel stick is not horrible on them. All babies can do is scream and cry, and they are going to do that any time they are examined. The heel stick is not nearly as bad as a lumbar puncture or other procedures that sometimes have to be done. They will quickly get over it with a bottle or pacifier and some rocking. Just realize that by doing the test you are trying to make sure your baby is healthy. By having the testing run by the state the cost stays down. If it was run by a third party then they could sell information to other parties just like 23 and me and the other genetic testing companies already do.
          Tx Doc - GREAT response. Thank you. A few questions and comments...
          I'm not too concerned with the heel stick. Gotta do what you gotta do, plus I won't feel it (probably will feel it vicariously as soon as he/she is out.)
          I'm going to go back and confirm what the wife, myself and the kid has already been tested for. I feel like they may match, so why pay for the same thing twice?
          I understand that the price is being driven down...but what's another $500 to test for this? Honestly, I've already paid $3,000 to the OB, I'm going to pay God knows how much to the hospital, anesthesiologist...so they want me to save money on 1 test? If they're that concerned with saving me money, why not have the whole operation done by the government... Sorry, it just doens't add up.

Comment

My kid was born in a bathtub all natural with a midwife. He has not had any vaccines. He won’t until he is 1 yo. 7 months now and not even a runny nose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

O.p....all will be good...see you have another 60 years of paying this young'un..lol

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                Tx Doc - GREAT response. Thank you. A few questions and comments...
                I'm not too concerned with the heel stick. Gotta do what you gotta do, plus I won't feel it (probably will feel it vicariously as soon as he/she is out.)
                I'm going to go back and confirm what the wife, myself and the kid has already been tested for. I feel like they may match, so why pay for the same thing twice?
                I understand that the price is being driven down...but what's another $500 to test for this? Honestly, I've already paid $3,000 to the OB, I'm going to pay God knows how much to the hospital, anesthesiologist...so they want me to save money on 1 test? If they're that concerned with saving me money, why not have the whole operation done by the government... Sorry, it just doens't add up.
                They are keeping the costs down so that those who can't afford all of those other tests, can still have their child checked for potential diseases.

Comment

Not sure what your concern is? It is a public health program that checks for treatable conditions. I'm not sure genetic testing on the parents would reveal one of the screening conditions with the baby. This screening is done in every state in the U.S. and has been done for many years on millions and millions of babies (since the 1960s). From the link you posted, it looks like Texas may be doing more testing than other states. I would consider that a good thing.

I think it would be foolish to opt out as this screening is done in the best interest of your baby's health.

EDIT: What TX Doc said!!
                  Last edited by AlaskaFlyerFan; 09-30-2019, 06:38 PM.

Comment

We allowed it, didn’t bother us one bit. The way they get the blood I’m sure hurts the baby but my little boy didn’t cry. He just shouts whenever he gets his shots he’s super tough.
                    Last edited by STX_Shooter; 09-30-2019, 07:35 PM. Reason: .

Comment

You're overthinking it. Just do what they recommend and be thankful for a healthy kiddo.

Comment

Working...
                      X