New Boat ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Boat ?

I am looking at retiring in another 5 or 6 years.
    I want to have all my toys in order before I do.
    I mostly crappie fish

I am fishing out of a 2072 tracker and there is a lot I like about the boat but a couple of things I don't.

Pros...
    lots of room for a load of grandkids
    Painted with rhino liner so the kids can smear catfish bait all over it and I just power wash it back clean
    not much chance of hurting it when I hit a stump ( lake of the pines is full of them )
    Not real heavy, my Tacoma pulls it well

Cons
    Rides pretty rough being a big flat bottom
    If the lake is rough you get pretty wet
    Coating on the inside is rough non slip which is abrasive on kids hands and knees
    boat gets really hot, you can't set anywhere that is not covered as metal will burn you

Is it possible to have the inside of the boat carpeted ?

I'm really leaning towards a new 21' bass boat but i am afraid I will spend $70,000 and not like fishing out of it as much as I do my tracker.

What do y'all think

Click image for larger version

Name:	#41.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	25147586

Click image for larger version

Name:	crappie.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	25147587
    Last edited by Buff; 05-24-2018, 04:56 AM.

Keep the tracker and buy some sort of new pontoon style boat w a canopy top for boat riding and fishing w the kids.

Comment

Do the grand kids like to fish or just play or both? Pontoon may be the way to go and keep the tracker for yourself

Comment

I wouldn't get carpet if you like to catfish it's a pain to get the slime out. Look at putting hydro turf in. Non slip, cushioned and cool to the touch. If you like taking multiple people a bass boat probably isn't the ticket. I would look at a center console bay boat.

Comment

New Boat ?

Safe floor or sea dek, I would not carpet that boat.

Depending on hull design of those aluminum boats some are drier than others. I know a guy with a 2072 Aluma weld and that boat will drown you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by Mayhem; 05-24-2018, 05:35 AM.

Comment

I had that same boat, and same problems. I would not carpet, but look at a lighter color of deck coating. I also understand about the rough surface being hard on the kiddos hands and knees, but it is a trade off. A smoother surface will get slick quick and we are all to old to fall down in a boat, you might look at that Seadek stuff though.

I like the idea of the pontoon as well.
            Last edited by Radar; 05-24-2018, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Hydroturf would be another option for the interior. http://gatortraxboats.com/options/hydroturf
              Can be bought in different colors and patterns, comes in sheet form, cut to size, with or without adhesive backing. Non-slip, won't snag a hook, cool to the touch. Have it in three aluminum boats. Liked it so much i even installed it in a 1976 Duracraft that is considered our "beater boat".

Comment

Center console bay boat would be my choice.

Comment

Have you looked at the Ranger boats? they have a TR 188 c that is set up for crappie fishing with two live wells. You can also put two seats on the front of the boat. I like the on I have it is 2015. Ranger has put a boat out there like the tracker. It is like the high dollar Ranger boats unsinkable!!

Comment

Sea dek your tracker. Or by a bass boat. Tracker will ride rougher than the bass boat, but if you don't mind that and getting a little wet at times then I would stick with the tracker and sea dek it.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
                      Center console bay boat would be my choice.
                      This was my choice. Look at the 20 foot Expresses and Excels. Versatile, easy cleanup and plenty of room for the grandbabies. Shipps in Gladewater carries the Express, and Bayou Outdoors in Bossier carries the Excell. You can occasionally run across a used Express Bay. Bounced mine off a few of those LOP stumps a couple weeks ago, and drove across the gulf of Tawakoni last Saturday in a 20 mph wind. Never could have done that in my old 16 foot duck boat. Holler at me and I will meet you at Pines and you can run it around.
                      Attached Files

Comment

You can also find a shop that will do custom seat cusions, you could have a few designed to fit certain areas so there is always a cool and comfortable place for the kiddos and adults for that matter to sit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Check the new Vexus aluminum boat out, the inside is glass, really sharp boat, the old Ranger guys just started this company, will be of high quality.

Comment

Safe floor in the tracker would be nice! Todd Box has it in his crestliner. Call and ask him about it. My suggestion would be get another boat and keep that one so I can borrow it to sink brushpiles!

Comment

Buff you can check out my xpress h20 bay I recently got next weekend at the TBH crappie getaway! Its rides great in rough water for aluminum and is plenty big and stable. You can walk around barefoot or sit anywhere in it also in the heat of the day without getting burned.

Comment

Working...
                              X