Bought my first smoker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought my first smoker.

I have been eying those Oklahoma Joe’s smokers at Lowe’s for a long time. Finally pulled the trigger. I loved grilling on my old charcoal grill until the bottom rusted out last year. I wanted to save up for a smoker to replace it, but I don’t know the first thing about using the smoker box properly. Any advice? What’s the easiest meat to start with? Wood choice?

Thanks all.

Ribs are the easiest with 3-2-1 method. I like pecan, oak and mesquite.

Comment

Search the username Smart on here. He's the resident smoker here on TBH..

Comment

I found pulled pork to be the easiest to learn. Then spatchcock chicken.

Comment

Pork butts. They are cheap and very forgiving. Work on keeping your fire clean and temps constant.
          Post Oak is the wood of choice in Central Texas. Usually what's readily available in your area. Be careful of using too much mesquite as the creosote can leave a bitter taste.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
          Last edited by LonestarGent; 08-18-2018, 07:47 PM.

Comment

In for the mouth watering pics

Comment

Go buy a pork butt

Cheap so if you screw it completely up you are not out a bunch of $$

Plus pulled pork can be used for sandwiches, breakfast tacos, and other good stuff

Comment

Throw some charcoal in that main chamber and it doubles as a regular grill too, make some good steaks that way.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyb_23 View Post
                  Ribs are the easiest with 3-2-1 method.
                  How does this work?

Originally posted by zr2chevy22 View Post
                  Search the username Smart on here. He's the resident smoker here on TBH..
                  Would love to hear from Smart. I hear he has smoked everything.....

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
                  In for the mouth watering pics
                  Yes please.

Originally posted by bk913 View Post
                  Throw some charcoal in that main chamber and it doubles as a regular grill too, make some good steaks that way.
                  I did just that with some chicken and ribs tonight. Turned out good. This thing heated up faster than I expected.

Comment

**** Lowe’s

Comment

I use pecan for smoke and charcoal for heat. You may find that the end of the smoke chamber near the fire box gets really hot. You will probably need some sort of baffle to cool it down.

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
                        How does this work? .

3 hours unwrapped
                        2 hours wrapped in foil
                        1 hour unwrapped to finish add sauce at this step of you use it.

I prefer to shave a 1/2 or so off those for a little bit more pull

I also agree that pork butt/pulled pork is the cheapest easiest to start with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Get ready to load up on the Labor Day meat sales. Happy smoking

Comment

When you wrap the ribs I add apple juice or beer, helps moisten them up. If doing baby backs you can cut some time off and usually finish in 4hrs. Pork butts are fairly easy too, but I like ribs better.

Comment

Pork butt is really easy too. It's cheap and very hard to mess up.

Comment

Working...
                              X