No announcement yet.

Why do we hunt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm different in my way of thinking. I understand all of the reasons people have brought up but the saying "it's not about the kill" is said often. But when you look at the price some people pay for a lease,a bow,arrows and countless hours of time they've spent practicing how could it not be? To me it's a lot about the kill. That big buck ain't gonna come lay in your yard and if you jack around and don't get him killed ASAP something could happen and you never will. When I go out with intent to hunt an animal I want that moment to happen. If I wasn't focused on the kill I'd just stay home or pick up a camera and start going on hikes. I ain't out there to fart around if I'm investing my time and money into something. The kill is a huge part of it.

I don't really think the whole food thing is a valid reason just for the simple fact that if you're paying thousands of dollars to go sit and wait on food with the possibility of not seeing anything at all you're not that bad off. You ain't hurtin for food. You like to kill and eat things is what it is. I get it.
    Last edited by okrattler; 10-14-2018, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Bowhunting....

My grandfather did it....my Dad did it, albeit it with a gun. They provided us boys with years of fun, adventure and life lessons with our raising while doing it. Bowhunting added a more challenging facet to it for me and has kept me driven o do it.

I take that and use it as a way to get out of the concrete jungle and keep my sanity. The whole lease process is a great release to drive past that gate and just forget about everything but my wife.. I probably love the lease work and the campfire more than the actual killing at age 49. However the buck fever and flood of emotions sharing it with your buddies when you kill your target deer is second to none and keeps me coming back. Plus its cheaper than a shrink and my wife loves deer jerky..

Comment

It ain’t about the killing. Otherwise I would fill my tags and go home.
        Of course, as you gain years and experience, your goals change.
        I shoot lots of coyotes, raccoons and pigs, but that is in the management of the deer, turkey quail and the other native game. However, no cats. Including lions.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
          I'm different in my way of thinking. I understand all of the reasons people have brought up but the saying "it's not about the kill" is said often. But when you look at the price some people pay for a lease,a bow,arrows and countless hours of time they've spent practicing how could it not be? To me it's a lot about the kill. That big buck ain't gonna come lay in your yard and if you jack around and don't get him killed ASAP something could happen and you never will. When I go out with intent to hunt an animal I want that moment to happen. If I wasn't focused on the kill I'd just stay home or pick up a camera and start going on hikes. I ain't out there to fart around if I'm investing my time and money into something. The kill is a huge part of it.

I don't really think the whole food thing is a valid reason just for the simple fact that if you're paying thousands of dollars to go sit and wait on food with the possibility of not seeing anything at all you're not that bad off. You ain't hurtin for food. You like to kill and eat things is what it is. I get it.
          Yes sir!

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter View Post
            I love to put meat on the table and in the freezer. We eat it up! For the last 3-4 years we’ve been eating 3-4 deer a year.

That being said, I love to be in the woods and clear my mind.

All of that being said, I like to believe the above is the exact same reason my father and his father and his father have been hunting. Not because it’s nostalgic but because it’s what’s in our blood.

Nailed it all right here for me...my job is/can be a lot. Best place to clear my mind by far.

Comment

Because there is no wi-fi out there.. but you're guaranteed to find a better connection.

Comment

It's fun

Comment

1. For the love of nature and the outdoors.
                  2.Tradition
                  3. Fellowship
                  4. Conservation
                  5. Natural unprocessed food that is **** tasty.
                  6. And for about the past 10 years or so to make leftist liberals heads explode.

Comment

As uncle ted would put it, Because I’m a hunter

Comment

My Dad's Fault.

And all grandfathers as far back as I know were hunters and fishermen too.

I can remember when I was a LITTLE kid my Dad coming home with quail, ducks, doves, squirrels, rabbits, fish, frogs, (yes, he used to gig them at night) and I just could not WAIT until I could go too.

I guess it's not very deep or philosophical of me, but it is just so much FUN!

I introduced my kids to it and now my grandkids. So happy to pass that flame!

Comment

To get away from all the bull****.

Comment

Because that’s what I was born to do.

Comment

Sanity, because sometimes killing little animals keeps me from killing big animals.

Food, because I prefer natural God made food.

Comment

I just love to hunt and the challenges of it.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                                For fun. Making memories with friends and family and beating animals at their own game. The adrenaline rush and peace and quiet when you're by yourself.

I can't say I only shoot things that I plan on eating. I ain't eatin no coyote,skunk,badger,opossum,raccoon or bobcat. That just ain't for me. Too many stores around with food in 'em to mess with that.
                                Making memories ..... spending time during the year getting our lease ready to spend time in the stand. And especially with my grandson!

Harvesting a deer is an added bonus!

Comment

Working...
                                X