Florida deputy refused to engage school shooter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Florida deputy refused to engage school shooter

I can not comprehend this, if in face it is true. I assume it is as he was suspended then now resigns.

If you wanna flip effin burgers then fine but don't get into LE. I keep thinking "what if" he had engaged with that psychopath POS at that school. Could he have killed him? wounded, made him fled?

Any of you with LE experience and have been thru the active shooter classes you know there is no time. The perfect scenario is get a team then go in. There are no perfect scenarios though there were 17 kids killed. SMH.......

As a consequence, Scott Peterson, on duty as the school resource officer at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, resigned from the department, said Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel, who earlier has suspended the officer from the force. He did not say if Peterson would face criminal charges.

Israel said he decided to suspend Peterson after viewing a video that showed the deputy’s actions during the rampage that killed 17 people. A former student Nikolas Cruz, 19, is accused of carrying out the attack with an AR-15-style assault weapon.

“What I saw was a deputy arrive at the west side of Building 12, take up a position and he never went in,” said Israel. The building is popularly known as “the freshman building.”

Israel said he would not release the video that shows Peterson’s actions at this time and may never do so, “depending on the prosecution and criminal case.”

Now that this info. Is out I would not be surprised if he shoots his self

Comment

How can he 'not release the video' - "possible ever".... FOIA would deem it public domain at this point...wouldn't it?
      Sincerely don't know...asking -- not questioning.

Comment

Yeah he was in the wrong line of work for sure. There's a few guys like that unfortunately and they don't always get weeded out like they should.

Comment

The whole thing reeks. The Fed's, school board, school administrators, local LEO, crisis entertainers,school law enforcement etc.... it's all ugly. The innocent students never had any intervention against the mental case.

Comment

Originally posted by CRM_95 View Post
            Yeah he was in the wrong line of work for sure. There's a few guys like that unfortunately and they don't always get weeded out like they should.
            Worked with a couple of those. I only depended on me. Made it for 30 years.

Comment

Same thing happened at Columbine. Their reasoning was the hallways could be boobie trapped.

Comment

Yea there are a few guys out there in every department that probably shouldn't be. I can also say that if you've never been in this kind situation, you wont know what you'll do. You simply can't "train" this.

Heck I've seen guys that have been on patrol freeze up for a hell of a lot less then this.

Comment

Not the same thing, but I watched an officer across from where a crime was in progress, that I called in and was still on the phone with dispatch, not respond to the crime and drive in the opposite direction. He passed right by the suspect as the suspect was fleeing on foot. This was not my imagination or a misunderstanding on my part.The officer was parked and facing the scene of the crime when dispatch notified officers.

Comment

"Same thing happened at Columbine" This is not correct, Columine was one the reasons why we started the active gunman training and how we respond to these type of these calls.

Comment

Unbelievable

Comment

Originally posted by tradslam View Post
                        "Same thing happened at Columbine" This is not correct, Columine was one the reasons why we started the active gunman training and how we respond to these type of these calls.
                        Very true. I lived there when it happened, and my kids were in Jeffco ISD. There was a swat officer that got there in short order, as he lived blocks away. Jeffco deputy was trying to enter and swat officer wouldn't let him enter for exactly the reasons I mentioned. We heard a lot more about Columbine locally, than what was on national news.

Comment

Worksalot, this happens every shift. When something crappy happens, we get tons of calls, getting processed through dispatch. Lots of bad info shows up on our end, not even taking in account for the delay. If you were on the phone with dispatch, I can 100% guarantee that cop wasn't getting your info real time.

Comment

Agree, horrible and will probably prove to be impossible to live with.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                              Very true. I lived there when it happened, and my kids were in Jeffco ISD. There was a swat officer that got there in short order, as he lived blocks away. Jeffco deputy was trying to enter and swat officer wouldn't let him enter for exactly the reasons I mentioned. We heard a lot more about Columbine locally, than what was on national news.
                              I got buddies that were there, I can tell you no one got out of that "ok" on law enforcement side.

Comment

Working...
                              X