Property tax question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Property tax question

My hearing is Thursday in Burnet Cty., and like everyone else our taxes went way up so we are having our hearing. The appraisal district sent us a offer to settle, but we refused it. They are stating that we have 2645 square feet of living space, but our home plan blueprint only shows 2182, so I'm not sure where they are getting that number. Anyone know how they define "living space" and any ideas on how to get that changed would be appreciated. The difference in the appraisal value will be about $40k, so not chump change. Thanks

"Living space" is usually if it has a/c and heat.

Comment

Living space is heated, make sure you read ALL of the requirements, they are very strict on that. If your not prepared 100% they will kick you out and your hearing is over.

Comment

Just drop by the office and ask to meet with an appraiser tomorrow or Wednesday. Take a copy of your plans to show them. Be nice and tell them you just want to make sure there was not a mistake and could they explain the discrepancy to you. Then ask them to show the sales comps they used to appraise your house. They may make the change and adjust your property if not you will then know why it is different from your plans. You then can proceed to the hearing Thursday and present your case if you wish. Remember he who gets mad first loses when it comes to appraisal hearings so be nice and calm.

Comment

They are probably using google earth to measure your roof line, if you have a covered porch it my appear as covering living space.

Comment

I do have covered porches and they estimated them at 700 ft sq., no way that is correct either. I'll go in with a great attitude and hopefully they will see the error and fix it. It's the first time I have ever seen the square footage listed, so they have been doing it all along and I have been overcharged all this time, 9 years. Anything I can do about that? Thanks for the responses!

Comment

You know theirs can still go up right? Taxrs dont just go down at a hearing they can go up even more nakes sure you knpw what ur doing.

Comment

Originally posted by wilded View Post
                Just drop by the office and ask to meet with an appraiser tomorrow or Wednesday. Take a copy of your plans to show them. Be nice and tell them you just want to make sure there was not a mistake and could they explain the discrepancy to you. Then ask them to show the sales comps they used to appraise your house. They may make the change and adjust your property if not you will then know why it is different from your plans. You then can proceed to the hearing Thursday and present your case if you wish. Remember he who gets mad first loses when it comes to appraisal hearings so be nice and calm.
                Yes, this is the informal process and you should do this first. Also if you do go to your ARB hearing make sure you have a $ number (say like $200k or whatever you feel is fair) that feel is what the home should be. They will ask you this number and they are going to either rule on your number or the appraisal $ number so be ready for that. You can always say well it should be what it was last year but know how much that is.

I have won and I have lost. The ARB often does want to rule in your favor but you have to give them something to work with or they really have no choice but to rule in the appraisal districts favor.

Comment

If out in the country, make sure they have the right house. Bastrop County had me one time at 3,000 sq feet and we only had 1,800. I went up there and spoke with the appraisers office. It didn't take long to figure out they looked at my neighbors. He got my tax bill and I received his.

Just make sure its worth it. I appealed mine one time and my taxes went up higher. I had a shed out back and a big back deck, they didn't have on their appraisal. They came out and measured everything.
                  Last edited by crawdaddct; 07-11-2017, 05:57 AM.

Comment

The a/c area is typically what they go on. That said ive seen them use satalite to blind measure a house and use that number. Which is wrong and you should protest. Garages and covered patioes dont count.

Comment

We had a hearing a couple of weeks ago and did alright, market value lowered a little from last year. Our comps were houses in the area sold last year. We showed that they were in much better condition and nicer neighborhoods. Actually used realtor pics I found online. Also presented needed repairs along with pics. Also showed how much taxes had already increased in last few years. But for sure have your case ready to present, they are not going to let you take a lot of time. Good luck with it. D

Comment

My home value has increased 52% since we built in 09, they use the whole county for comparables, which includes Horseshoe Bay and some other very high end lake front communities. I live out in the boonies. Showed them my house blueprint and the "living space" square footage, they didn't budge. When I asked to see the state definition of living space they told me to look it up on the Comptroller'so website. Tomorrow is going to be frustrating I'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Ishi&Elvis View Post
                          My home value has increased 52% since we built in 09, they use the whole county for comparables, which includes Horseshoe Bay and some other very high end lake front communities. I live out in the boonies. Showed them my house blueprint and the "living space" square footage, they didn't budge. When I asked to see the state definition of living space they told me to look it up on the Comptroller'so website. Tomorrow is going to be frustrating I'm sure.

That is just plain stupid. They should use homes sold that are similar. That's why they're called comps! Comparable homes! Not lake front homes compared to boonies. Have some true comps ready to present. And the state definition of living space.

Good luck, keep us updated. I'm curious and really don't like tax appraisal systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

i got mine knocked down 105k just a couple weeks ago for a similar reason and also the lack of comps in my area. Hold ur ground and show up with blueprints and a good explanation. The hearing usually consists of 3 neutral people that are hired to hear both sides ...yours and the county appraiser. They are fair and if you give good argument they will side with you.

the trick is you need to go the the Formal one not the informal .. you sit down and talk under oath

Comment

I am going in asking for a different square feet adjustment and comparing my property to others around me, but I don't think I am going to get much relief. They seem pretty dug in. My frame, no rock, no brick, is being compared to homes with rock/brick, and they all have multiple buildings like garages, carport, barns etc., and I have a small storage building and a small pole barn. So I have to show that my comparables they are using are not quite the same. If I can do that I might have a small shot at reduction. I'm about as confident of that as making a 50 yard shot on a squirrel with my 30lb recurve

Comment

Working...
                              X