All is not lost, my anti- rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All is not lost, my anti- rant

I'm always seeing post about the newer generation and how they don't measure up, sometimes and in certain ways this may be true but not always.
    I flew to Los Angeles on Wednesday to be present for a very difficult project that we are doing.
    I turned this project over to a young Project Manager that I trained and I was confident in his abilitys but I had a lot on the line and wanted to be here in case something went wrong.
    I watched a crew of young guys take a very difficult and very dangerous job and execute it from start to finish without any hiccups. They acted in a professional manner and worked their plan to a complete success.
    Not only did they execute it but they had an audience that was huge and the client had all of there big wigs here to witness it. The safety guys where fluttering around waiting for someone to screw up, like I said it was dangerous and that means the spotlight was on this project. They represented this company like no other and I was proud of the way they reacted to the pressure.
    All is not lost , there are still serious, dedicated young guys out ther coming up to kick us old timers to the sidelines and turn us into spectators.

That's good to hear. Yes, there are a lot of great young people out there. The bad ones get all the press coverage........

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by bigjohntex View Post
        That's good to hear. Yes, there are a lot of great young people out there. The bad ones get all the press coverage........
        This! Unfortunately, just too many of the totally worthless ones.
        Good job training him! Congrats to you and the whole crew!
        Last edited by DUKFVR; 02-10-2017, 07:35 AM.

Comment

My stepson is one of those bright young and responsible men. From the time he was a little boy he has shown a lot of common sense. Very smart, went to West Point for two years but decided it was not for him. It broke our hearts and we worked very hard to get him there. We told him he was on his own from there so what does he do, goes to TT, works on the side, gets his PE degree, graduates with a job and company vehicle waiting on him and hits the oil field. He is now married to a beautiful model and they have two kids. He just never looks back and always with a smile on his face. We are very proud of him and would give him the shirt off our backs.

Comment

My son just got accepted to A&M to be a rocket scientist. Really Aerospace engineering but I like the other title. And even though it's 4 months out my Mom has everything A&M already LOL

Comment

Its sad that the worthless ones get all the air time.

Congrats to your crew. I saw that project on another thread

Comment

I'm a HS teacher. If I though all was lost my job would really suck.

Comment

Kinda like a sermon our pastor had awhile back about an elephant sanctuary with nothing but young bulls they tore everything up until some suggested to put an older male in there with them and they followed his behavior,no such thing as bad kids only bad upbringing or unsupervised uncaring parents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow Fox1 what an encouraging and uplifting thread!!! Also, there is a lot of wisdom in some of the following posts too! Though we lost our son a few years back, we have a daughter we are very proud of too. She was a good kid in school, an athlete, and was even given a staff position at her school that funded her graduate work, so that didn't cost her mom and me a nickle... She's always loved to teach kids and now she has her own two sons who we just love and admire... in many ways, they have helped us to get over the loss of our son... After she finished grad. school, she went into her profession in statistical analysis, then worked her way up in professional positions in the oil patch... She fell victim to the crash, and now she is finally doing what she has always really wanted to do... she's in the final stages of becoming a high school math, algebra, geometry teacher... I've not seen her so excited since she married the love of her life and had those two precious boys. She has the most kind, caring, loving heart of anyone I know (just like her momma, my bride of 40 years). Her husband is just like a son to me, and works for me. We work together every day, and it is always a pleasure to go to work, even though we struggle sometimes to make it... Yessir, there are a lot of good 'uns out there... Them what come from strong stock, likely will be just fine...

Comment

Yep, my nephew is another example of a good solid worker. The kid was helping me and his dad on remodel projects from the age of probably 10 or 12 and he's a hard worker. By the time he went off to A&M, he had experience in all phases of a construction project, from dirt work clear to final finish. He had a job working for a builder in College Station before he left our small town, and in his spare time, he mows lawns down there as well. He did an internship with Beck Construction in Austin this year, managing inspections and concrete pours on the a very large skyscraper. I couldn't be more proud of that boy if I tried. His dad played the largest role in making him who he is, obviously, but I like to think he learned a bit from me too..... and where did my brother and I get it? You guessed it, pops. That's where it all starts, good role models at home breed good kids, bad role models, well you get the idea.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by fox1 View Post
                        I'm always seeing post about the newer generation and how they don't measure up, sometimes and in certain ways this may be true but not always.
                        I flew to Los Angeles on Wednesday to be present for a very difficult project that we are doing.
                        I turned this project over to a young Project Manager that I trained and I was confident in his abilitys but I had a lot on the line and wanted to be here in case something went wrong.
                        I watched a crew of young guys take a very difficult and very dangerous job and execute it from start to finish without any hiccups. They acted in a professional manner and worked their plan to a complete success.
                        Not only did they execute it but they had an audience that was huge and the client had all of there big wigs here to witness it. The safety guys where fluttering around waiting for someone to screw up, like I said it was dangerous and that means the spotlight was on this project. They represented this company like no other and I was proud of the way they reacted to the pressure.
                        All is not lost , there are still serious, dedicated young guys out ther coming up to kick us old timers to the sidelines and turn us into spectators.
                        Be sure and share your thoughts here with the young men you're talking about, if you haven't already. You probably have. That kind of praise goes a long way toward keeping them encouraged and motivated.

Comment

Good report, congrats to you and your young crew.

Comment

Great thread, Fox1! Curious to know what type of project was involved; maybe some type of oil well containment?

Comment

Was it a new bomb 10x's bigger than an hydrogen bomb?

Comment

Working...
                              X