No announcement yet.

Pool excavation Tomball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am retired and do not build pools so I have no dog in this hunt.
    I apologize for being so negative and wish you the best of luck.

Comment

Coby, contact Landrover. He contracted his own pool (Woodlands) and may be able to share some contractor contacts.

After the pool we had in Richmond, I really don't want another. Like all things my wife wants, she says she'll take care of the cleaning and such, that only lasted two weeks before I had to do it. In her defense, she has kept he promise taking care of the dog and the kid. After I got tired of taking care of the pool, which I was horrible at, I ended up hiring a company to come do it. I do not want another pool, but I'm sure, in the end, we'll have one in Fulshear. When that time comes, I will be building (or contracting) it out, myself as I cannot see spending that much again. We got a DEAL on our first pool ($32k), but I doubt we'd get that now.

Comment

In

Comment

I guess the only guys that build pools have done 100s of them and did everything themselves starting out. I wonder how they ever got to that first one?

Seriously a joke with some of the negativity in this thread.

Good luck to you Sir, All the best.

After getting our first 2 quotes, wish I had the free time and ability to try my hand at rounding it all up.

Comment

Originally posted by Swampa View Post
            What happened with your friends? My ears are open, but after getting quotes I think I can save around $30K. Even if something goes wrong I will have some wiggle room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            You are not going to save anywhere near 30K if you are building apples to apples, well unless you have several subs that are doing the work for cost. Most good pool contractors make 15-20 percent on a project. As one poster already said, good luck when things start to break, you will be the one to take care of it, and even if the subs provide a warranty good luck getting them back out, they work for builders who give them dozens of jobs, not just one. Also most of the subs are not going to give you builder pricing, i know that i rarely give a homeowner the same price that i give my builders. Good luck on the pool build.

Comment

How much is the pool going to increase your property taxes?

Comment

pretty cool concept. I'm really interested to see what you do end up saving in the long run.

We need to have our pool resurfaced in the next year or two. I have heard varying prices on what the cost is. I know that we were quoted almost double on pebble tec versus white gunite.

Comment

I'm a DIY kinda guy too. Own an excavator and run it for a living. Mostly septic work.

I've been wanting to dig a pool for some time now but like any first timer haven't taken the "risk" yet.

The wife and I have talked about buying a big prefabbed fiberglass pool and installing everything myself. Therefore if it fails I wouldn't be out near the $$$! Maybe turn it into a fancy stock tank. Lol

Comment

I'll post up my build and numbers for all the naysayers.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                      Coby, contact Landrover. He contracted his own pool (Woodlands) and may be able to share some contractor contacts.

After the pool we had in Richmond, I really don't want another. Like all things my wife wants, she says she'll take care of the cleaning and such, that only lasted two weeks before I had to do it. In her defense, she has kept he promise taking care of the dog and the kid. After I got tired of taking care of the pool, which I was horrible at, I ended up hiring a company to come do it. I do not want another pool, but I'm sure, in the end, we'll have one in Fulshear. When that time comes, I will be building (or contracting) it out, myself as I cannot see spending that much again. We got a DEAL on our first pool ($32k), but I doubt we'd get that now.
                      Thanks bud!

Comment

Let me know when it's ready, I'll come to the grand opening pool party.

Comment

LOL! TBH pool party

Comment

Rent a mini excavator and I'll bring the beer!

Comment

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
                              You are not going to save anywhere near 30K if you are building apples to apples, well unless you have several subs that are doing the work for cost. Most good pool contractors make 15-20 percent on a project. As one poster already said, good luck when things start to break, you will be the one to take care of it, and even if the subs provide a warranty good luck getting them back out, they work for builders who give them dozens of jobs, not just one. Also most of the subs are not going to give you builder pricing, i know that i rarely give a homeowner the same price that i give my builders. Good luck on the pool build.
                              ^^^^This.

I grew up building pools and my family has been doing it since 1949. I don't do it anymore, but I am still a construction estimator. If you think you are saving that much either there is a hole in your bid or you are talking to the wrong contractors.

We only subbed gunite, plaster, and permit electrical or plumbing stuff, and I would think that most reputable pool contractors do it more or less the same. There were also some specialty stuff we subbed like cool deck, spray deck, etc.

That leaves alot of work for you to do yourself or find subs for.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolHandLuke View Post
                                Rent a mini excavator and I'll bring the beer!
                                You two digging up a backyard brings this to mind.

Comment

Working...
                                X