No announcement yet.

Muzzle loaders....tell us all you know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just got a text from cabelas and they have a ton of cva's and traditions on sale for the hunting classic or something...really want a t/c but hard to pass up some of these deals..someone talk me out of the t/c and that it is ok to go cheaper on this

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
      I've only hunted muzzle in Colo and followed their regulations. No scopes, no compressed powder, ect.

50 cal, 300 gr lead, and a lot of practice. It's as much fun as archery!
      I did the same thing in New Mexico several years ago for elk. I think the bullet i used was the 385 grain Hornady Great Plains bullet.

Comment

Originally posted by ckamp52 View Post
        Thank you sir. What do you shoot? I read a lot on the guns last night but dont see a whole lot of difference between a $250 cva or a $650 t/c. Im sure there are small things i dont notice i just dont want to overpay if its not worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        I have a TC, but the CVA guns are very accurate. Even the cheap ones. I second the break open action though, just better all around IMO.

Comment

Where are you located. I may want in line as well

South of San Antonio. I can ship it to your door in Texas

Comment

Thank you sir. What do you shoot? I read a lot on the guns last night but dont see a whole lot of difference between a $250 cva or a $650 t/c. Im sure there are small things i dont notice i just dont want to overpay if its not worth it

If this was in reply to my post, here is my response.

I've shot a TC a couple of times (another guys), my ML are Traditions, and I once owned a CVA. I didn't like the CVA, nor did I have good luck with the Powerbelts.

The lower priced brands (Traditions/CVA) in the metal and action have been just as good as a TC. The TC sights were much better. The TC stock was 100% better. In short, overall the CVA felt the cheapest, Traditions in the middle, TC was well above the other two. My favorite is my Traditions Hawken type sidelock, 90gns with Hornady lead on top.

They will all kill, just depends on how fancy you want to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
              If this was in reply to my post, here is my response.

I've shot a TC a couple of times (another guys), my ML are Traditions, and I once owned a CVA. I didn't like the CVA, nor did I have good luck with the Powerbelts.

The lower priced brands (Traditions/CVA) in the metal and action have been just as good as a TC. The TC sights were much better. The TC stock was 100% better. In short, overall the CVA felt the cheapest, Traditions in the middle, TC was well above the other two. My favorite is my Traditions Hawken type sidelock, 90gns with Hornady lead on top.

They will all kill, just depends on how fancy you want to be.
              Yes sir, that was for you...I think I am going to make a detour on the way home from the lease middle of next week and stop by cabelas and handle a few. I shouldered a few about two years ago but I don't remember what was what. I may be bugging the crap out of you about this before long haha

Comment

I'll be here. I might pull the storage box out this weekend and get a few pics of the necessities that you would need. I'll describe when used, what I do with it and the other guys can add their expertise.

I'll have to think up another word for one very important part that probably won't pass the swear filter. Actually it's two words if discussing the tool.

Comment

just got a text from cabelas and they have a ton of cva's and traditions on sale for the hunting classic or something...really want a t/c but hard to pass up some of these deals..someone talk me out of the t/c and that it is ok to go cheaper on this
                  CVA Optima will do everything you want. I really do not think you can beat them for the price. I own a couple now and they are very user friendly. The money you save will buy all the goodies you need to start off with. YouTube a few of their videos for more info.

Comment

I'll be here. I might pull the storage box out this weekend and get a few pics of the necessities that you would need. I'll describe when used, what I do with it and the other guys can add their expertise.

I'll have to think up another word for one very important part that probably won't pass the swear filter. Actually it's two words if discussing the tool.
                    You must mean a nipple *****

Comment

I didn't think nipple would make the filter.

Comment

I didn't think nipple would make the filter.
                        Haha, he said nipple!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a Traditions I picked up from Cabelas Bargain cave. It's the most worthless firearm I've ever touched. If I could bend the barrel around a tree I would. Mine is better served at a trash can ornament. Last year while walking to the stand the stock fell off, barrel got full of mud. Also had the little metal sleeve that holds the ram rod in place break off, so I had to carry the rod in my pack.

Comment

Think I have decided on the CVA accura nitride .50 open sights and adding a scope mount with max 1 thumbhole stock.

Comment

Nice you'll probably like it.
                              I just took my muzzy barrel off and replaced with my 308 for my 1st season tag I got today. One benefit of TC is the interchangeable barrels

Comment

Originally posted by tbeak View Post
                                Nice you'll probably like it.
                                I just took my muzzy barrel off and replaced with my 308 for my 1st season tag I got today. One benefit of TC is the interchangeable barrels
                                I'm not exactly hurting in the nice bolt action rifle department lol. Factory TC center fire barrels probably won't meet my accuracy expectations anyway. Which is why I've never bought one. I've wanted one for a long time though.

Comment

Working...
                                X