Cabbage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cabbage

Does anyone have any good Cabbage recipes they could post up. I am looking for a recipe for a country cooker. Thanks.

Ckuehl,

My favorite way of making cabbage is fried with bacon and onion. Take a head of cabbage and chop into bite size pieces along with a onion chopped, set this to the side. Cut about half a lb. of bacon into small pieces and fry once the bacon gets done remove it from the grease and set aside. Now take the cabbage and onion and fry untill tender in the bacon grease then add the bacon to the mixture .... Done deal. This is definately high calorie with the bacon but it sure is good.

Comment

I layer cabbage with smoked sausage then onions on top and steam it. My hunting buddy does the same except he adds rotel and boils it for a short time.

Comment

Originally posted by rzrbak View Post
        Ckuehl,

My favorite way of making cabbage is fried with bacon and onion. Take a head of cabbage and chop into bite size pieces along with a onion chopped, set this to the side. Cut about half a lb. of bacon into small pieces and fry once the bacon gets done remove it from the grease and set aside. Now take the cabbage and onion and fry untill tender in the bacon grease then add the bacon to the mixture .... Done deal. This is definately high calorie with the bacon but it sure is good.
        I do mine close to this but I add a can of stewed tomatoes some TONY`S ,a couple of jalepenos and a half of 1 beer.Why half of one beer? Because I drinl the other half.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

Salt pork 1
            few small onion or lg cut up
            red taters small bag
            mushrooms 1 can or fresh
            1 cabbage cut in 1/4
            hot links or your fav. sausage
            1 stick butter or 2
            cajun seasonings or cayenne pepper

put everthing in 1 big pot cover with water and cook till veg are done

I have made this on alot of hunting trips and aways a hit and have won a few cooking contest with this.

Saw this on Justin Wilson cooking show yrs ago

Comment

This is my grandmothers recipe. People that dont even like cabbage love this stuff.
              11/2# ground meat
              1 medium head of cabbage
              1 big onion
              1 big potato
              I season the meat with salt,pepper,garlic. In a 4 qt dutch oven, chip 1/3 cabbage to cover bottom.then a layer of 1/2 onion and 1/2 the meat, and taters.Repeat. Top with layer of cabbage.Salt and pepper to taste, add 1 cup of water. Lay about 4 strips raw bacon on top and sprinkle with about1/2 cup of kechup. Cook on low heat for about an hour. MMMM Think Im gonna have to make this tonight.

Comment

I love some cabbage. Just don't over-cook it!

Comment

I forgot to say, the onion is chopped and the potato is sliced.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

I like boiled cabbage.
                      Cut up a head of cabbage and put in a large pot.
                      Fill with water to top of cabbage.
                      Add a ham hock and alot of black pepper.
                      Boil until cabbage is tender.
                      Salt to taste when on your plate.

Comment

Get 2 packs of Johnsonville Italian Sausage 1 - hot and 1 - sweet.
                        Remove the sausage from the casing and cook in pan with a little bacon grease until mostly done.
                        Put a large head of cabbage or 2 small heads in the pot boil with water cook until cabbage is done.
                        Add Onion if desired.

Comment

I take a big head of cabbage and core it. I put one stick of butter in and some bacon (cooked)and about 2 to 3 tablespoons of brown sugar and wrap in foil like a candy kiss with the hole up and put on the smoker while you are cooking and in about 2 hrs you have something good to eat... verry easy and can be done on the trail when you don't have anything but a fire...

Comment

put one dead skunk in a pot with a head of cabbage, boil until tender, throw the cabbage away and eat the skunk!!

Sorry fellas i had to. Im not a fan but my mom always cooked like mentioned above, fried in bacon grease with onions.

Comment

How do you know when the Cabbage is cooked?

Comment

Working...
                              X