Easy jerky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easy jerky

I was in a hurry to get some jerky made yesterday for our trip to Matador WMA this week. I cut up some venison hams and hit both sides with some mesquite flavoring and Tony Chachere's. I did that Friday night, actually, and let it sit in the fridge until Saturday morning. Hung the meat on the racks in the oven and turned it on about 170 with the door cracked open (wood spoon propping it open). After about 4 hours I took out the thinner pieces and left the thicker pieces in another hour and a half or so. Got a nice big sack full of jerky. I've been viciously guarding it so we'll have plenty all week in camp.

It's pretty dang good for oven jerky. The mesquite shake stuff is better than liquid smoke, and Tony's is hard to beat for seasoning.

THat is some nice looking jerky......That is how I do mine!

Comment

that's just to easy gonna have to get some of that started
      looks good

Comment

YUM...YUM

Comment

Huh, is it really that easy??

Comment

Will have to trie this. looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuz View Post
              Huh, is it really that easy??
              Yep. Just leave it in the oven (as low a temp as you can go while still remaining on) until it is good and dry.

Comment

Definitely gonna try this. Thanks!

Comment

ive been working too hard, imma try the oven out this year

Comment

Thanks Shane; it looks great.

Comment

I like it I've made jerky before using some kind of jerky kit. It was WAY to salty. I even followed the directions and everything. Simpler is better in my book.

How do you cut the meat thin enough for jerky? Use a slicer or what?

Comment

Also, did you then just lay out on the regular oven racks and put foil under to catch drippage?

Comment

Try slicing the meat when it is stilla little frozen cheez. Use a good sharp knife and it will slice REALLY thin for you.

Comment

How did you put it on the racks?!?!

Comment

most poke toothpicks thru the meat & hang thru the rack with toothpicks holding them

Comment

Working...
                              X