whole hog pit cooking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whole hog pit cooking?

I would like to cook a whole hog in a pit and looking for some guidance. If it is a good idea I would like (not really a necessaty) to leave the skin on and dip and scrape the hair off like in the old days but I don't really know how to do that, never seen it done or done it myself. I will build/dig a pit for the fire and use mesquite wood to make a bed of coals and that is about all of my expertise.

What should I season it with?
    How should I wrap it?
    How long should it cook?
    How do you put it on the coals and what do you cover it with,etc?

I saw a show on TV the other day where a group of people cooked a deer hind quarter in a pit and of course it was delicious and I have been wanting to do the same type of cooking for a group of friends. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention my wife is not a game animal eater so I need it to be eatable by her standards (if possible).

Thank you in advance for any help.

I have cooked whole hog 2 ways. The First using a bbq pit with an offset fire box and the second by building a 3 sided enclosure with cmu with expanded metal . I would start with a medium sized pig 40-70 lbs, rub the inside and outside with generous amounts of your favorite rub. (I use alot of different rubs but have found that Fiesta's Pork Rub is pretty good). Cook the pig at 225 deg. for 12-15 hrs or until the thickest part of the pig is about 165 degree. To wrap it use heavy duty foil.
    I have not tried the in ground method but if you look for luah techniques on the internet you will get some good ideas on how do it.

Comment

my grandpa would burn the hair off with a torch... stinky but effective...

you can cook it in the ground!!! actually works pretty good. I have only seen it done once or twice.

when we cook whole hogs we usually do it in a descent sized smoker, and let it cook all day. usually get it on by 6-8am and keep the fire in the pit (not direct flame) till the party starts. 7pm or so. Or until done. adding spices/marinade/BBQ sauce etc as we go through the day. usually envolves plenty of beer!

Comment

u tube has some good cooking whole hog videos

Comment

cajun microwave!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thank you guys for your comments and suggestions.

Comment

I am headed out again this morning to do a little hunting so may be posting some pics of what I plan to cook.

Comment

To scrape a hog you would do the following. 1st you need to have a lot of boiling water. you need to lay the pig on its side. You need clean burlap sacks. Once the water id boiling you put the burlap on the pig. You then pour the boiling water over the burlap, using a sauce pan or something similar. you let the water and steam work on the hair. Then start scraping with a large knife. You will need to expierement with the length of time you keep the burlap on. Once you figure it out it is easy. You can get burlap at feed stores. If you have a big black kettle, you would build your fire under it to get the water boiling. The whole process takes some time, so be ready.

Comment

I've heard of people wraping the hog up in cheese cloth before you put it in the ground..

Comment

In the Philippines they call roasting a whole suckling pig "lechon"
                    they build the fire on either side of the pig - not under it
                    that way they don't burn it

> La Caja China

Comment

ttt
                      take your hog place in a ice chest with about 3 inches of ice depending on your hog size then cover with apple juice and pineapple juice then on gas smoker place on opposite side of the lit burners with some hickory or mesquite or pecan etc and smoke for about 12 hours it will be the most tender juciest meat ever

Comment

re

re: caja china
                        ^^^^^^
                        one of these days I will get one of these, they are awesome.

If I knew a way to de-hair a wild pig and leave the skin on, I would try it. I ain't skeered, but I guess you could roast one skinned but it would not hold the juices in. I guess if it was wrapped in foil real good??
                        Last edited by westguy76; 01-11-2011, 01:41 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=CaptJack;3232994][img]> La Caja China

La Caja China is Spanish for The China Box. So is it Chinese or hecho en Mexico?
                          Last edited by southtexasff; 01-12-2011, 01:39 PM.

Comment

I had a friend that would smoke his in a china box every Xmas!! He said it was always good!!

Comment

Working...
                            X