Texas archery laws and felons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DRT View Post
    I concur. You pay your debt, keep your life straight and you get full reinstatement as a citizen. All our current system does is discourage people.

Gary
    Example would be the right to vote, you paid your debt , but have to idlelly watch idiots pass personal agendas

Comment

I was hopeing to get a specific law that said as much....thanks for all the help anyway... i dont think opinions will mean much to his po.... warms my heart though!

Comment

Originally posted by wyliescrib View Post
        I was hopeing to get a specific law that said as much....thanks for all the help anyway... i dont think opinions will mean much to his po.... warms my heart though!

There is no law that says he can’t archery hunt or have a “trigger release” because he is a felon. The law states he can’t have a firearm. A “trigger release” is not a firearm nor is a bow. Those are all facts feel free to check them.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
          I'm not aware of a law "permitting" felons to hunt with Archery equipment. There are laws saying they can't own or possess a firearm.

Since the law is only banning firearms then Archery equipment is legal.
          Originally posted by twistedmidnite View Post
          Being a felon doesn't keep you from hunting, it keeps your from owning a gun. I'm a felon, have been since 2001. Only a couple speeding tickets since. I'm stuck to air rifles and bows/crossbows.
          "Can't own or possess firearms". I'd be curious how this plays out municipalities who have defined archery equipment as a firearm. In San Antonio it used to be that you could not legally shoot bows within city limits as they were defined as a firearms (that has apparently changed in the last few years, but I believe air rifles are still considered firearms)...so does that mean felons can't own or possess archery equipment just in those areas?
          Last edited by JonBoy; 07-11-2019, 06:31 AM.

Comment

This defines legal methods and it refers to Texas Penal Code 46.01

Oddly muzzleloaders are a gray area

It says made before 1899 or replica thereof

I bought a CVS muzzleloader via online and it was shipped ups to my front door

No atf paperwork or background check

Is a CVS modern muzzleloader considered to be an antique curio or replica thereof?

Therefore not a firearm?

Other states do not define muzzleloaders with the made before 1899 clause

Anyone know the answer?

Clearly ATF does not consider muzzleloaders firearms

Texas law maybe

Federal ATF no?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
              "Can't own or possess firearms". I'd be curious how this plays out municipalities who have defined archery equipment as a firearm. In San Antonio it used to be that you could not legally shoot bows within city limits as they were defined as a firearms (that has apparently changed in the last few years, but I believe air rifles are still considered firearms)...so does that mean felons can't own or possess archery equipment just in those areas?
              If on supervised probation or parole in Bexar County you cannot possess a bow or x-bow or any bolts, arrow, spear ,
              Heck you need a travel permit just to leave Bexar County
              Don’t know what other counties view as a unlawful weapon

Best thing to do is call your PO on your conditions so you don’t get a motion to revoke

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                The federal case of duke boys vs hazard county paved the way for convicted felons rights to use archery equipment.
                HA! "A" game material right there

Comment

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post

You’re confusing a city ordinance restricting THE USE of archery equipment NOT owning it if you are a felon. Two totally different things. Also State Laws do not define a bow as a firearm which in the grand scheme of things should override a local ordinance.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                    You’re confusing a city ordinance restricting THE USE of archery equipment NOT owning it if you are a felon. Two totally different things. Also State Laws do not define a bow as a firearm which in the grand scheme of things should override a local ordinance.

Sierracharlie out…
                    Uh you are wrong, only after a felon has completely gotten done with a probation or parole is a felon able to possess archery equipment or primitive weapons like true black powder rifle,

Laws don’t have to make any sense, but a felon must live by rules that don’t seem to make sense, till they are completely done with the terms of the courts

Example of a senseless rule , is a felon can go fishing, but can’t use a filet knife
                    Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 07-11-2019, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                      To my knowledge there is no law the prohibits a felon from owning archery equipment.

I do know of one individual who had a parole officer that denied him hunting with archery equipment. Don't know details but know that is what I was told

Most felons can own primitive blackpowder weapons also.

Are you trying to help someone with a past or restrict someone?
                      This ^^^

Comment

Wrong

Originally posted by Stykbow View Post
                        This ^^^
                        Wrong ^^^^^100% wrong

A felons must seek permission from the sentencing court, before possible possession of any type weapons,( while on probation or parole)
                        Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 07-11-2019, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bobc View Post
                          He gets his wife to do it. [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Ha. I'd love to windex the table honey but....this felony conviction and that spray bottle cannot coexist.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                            I'm not aware of a law "permitting" felons to hunt with Archery equipment. There are laws saying they can't own or possess a firearm.

Since the law is only banning firearms then Archery equipment is legal.

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                              A felons must seek permission from the sentencing court, before possible possession of any type weapons,( while on probation or parole)
                              I agree with this, each case is different and each court is different. It all has to do with how the judge writes it up. They can make it easy on you or they can make it hard.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                                The federal case of duke boys vs hazard county paved the way for convicted felons rights to use archery equipment.
                                Good one!

Comment

Working...
                                X