No announcement yet.

The Backcountry Gear Thread!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also I have both the 3500 and 5500, when I use a synthetic sleeping bag I tend to grab the 5500

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
      No such thing as weights nothing.... I’d rather pack a contractor trash bag(multiple uses)then liner for same weight

JTelakin made great point I can’t tell you last time I packed rain pants
      Noted. I need to add trash bag to my list. Very handy! I already have the pants, and they will be a last minute weather decision.

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
      Also I have both the 3500 and 5500, when I use a synthetic sleeping bag I tend to grab the 5500
      That's why I'm trying to decide between the two. I think I could use the 3500 most of the time, but they compress and 5.4 lbs isn't much different that 5.1 lbs.

Thanks again!

Comment

Last three years back county hunting Colorado it rained a ton and I would have been in a bad place without rain pants or my gaiters. No matter how much you water proof your boots gaiters will help. We walked miles in tall wet grass every morning

Comment

Originally posted by whiteoak View Post
          Last three years back county hunting Colorado it rained a ton and I would have been in a bad place without rain pants or my gaiters. No matter how much you water proof your boots gaiters will help. We walked miles in tall wet grass every morning

I agree gaiter are a must. Rain pants are on my maybe throw our list depending on how heavy they are and what part of Colorado I’m hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would only bring 1 1/4 zip either a fleece or pullover with or without a hood. A 200 weight base layer top should keep you warm down into the 30s if you are moving.

Comment

Originally posted by whiteoak View Post
              I stop carrying rain paints about 8 years ago. Now if I was hunting northern Idaho or west coast for sure, but even the year of the floods in 12 when it rained every day flooding out CO & NM, with gaiters on I didn’t get that wet. In fact I only remember having to sleep in my pants one night to dry them out. To each their own, I’d rather spend the 13-16 oz on something else.

Comment

Originally posted by Jared.King View Post
                That's why I'm trying to decide between the two. I think I could use the 3500 most of the time, but they compress and 5.4 lbs isn't much different that 5.1 lbs.

Thanks again!
                I researched the Exo packs for quite a while trying to convince myself to pull the trigger. Most opinions I could find said go 5500 since the weight difference is not noticeable.

I ended up getting a Stone Glacier (6200) because of frame size and somehow find a way to pack it full. I think there's something to the belief, if you have more room you'll find something to fill it with.

Comment

Gaiters are a must for me and I’ll take my rain gear anytime it could be wet and cold at same time.

Comment

I have a excel spreadsheet with all of my gear for New Zealand made up. I haven’t finalized it yet tho. I’ll post it up on my New Zealand thread when it gets closer to time. I have a lot of gear tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
                      I researched the Exo packs for quite a while trying to convince myself to pull the trigger. Most opinions I could find said go 5500 since the weight difference is not noticeable.

I ended up getting a Stone Glacier (6200) because of frame size and somehow find a way to pack it full. I think there's something to the belief, if you have more room you'll find something to fill it with.

I’m gonna go with the EXO 5500. I tried it on along with several other packs at the Western Expo and it just felt better than the others. Steve said if I wasn’t in a hurry to wait until their new June release

Comment

Originally posted by huntingfanatic View Post
                        I’m gonna go with the EXO 5500. I tried it on along with several other packs at the Western Expo and it just felt better than the others. Steve said if I wasn’t in a hurry to wait until their new June release
                        Was the expo cool? Been thinking about going.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Good choice! From what I have heard the new frame is gonna be awesome. I have a ‘15 3500 bag w/ frame(pre k2) and an ‘18 5500 bag w/ k2 frame. The new frame won’t be quite as rigid as the Ti k2 and therefore won’t have the roll when side hilling and will give a little like the pre k2’s but not as much. Also changed up a few straps, I’m excited to see the new stuff. Never had a single complaint about exo and their quality and customer service is second to none and that’s a fact. I do know they are releasing a 6500 bag size FYI.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
                            Was the expo cool? Been thinking about going.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Absolutely. Definitely worth the trip. Nice to see the equipment, the calling contests and seminars

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                              Good choice! From what I have heard the new frame is gonna be awesome. I have a ‘15 3500 bag w/ frame(pre k2) and an ‘18 5500 bag w/ k2 frame. The new frame won’t be quite as rigid as the Ti k2 and therefore won’t have the roll when side hilling and will give a little like the pre k2’s but not as much. Also changed up a few straps, I’m excited to see the new stuff. Never had a single complaint about exo and their quality and customer service is second to none and that’s a fact. I do know they are releasing a 6500 bag size FYI.

Thanks for the info. Really enjoyed talking to Steve. I’ll have to check out the 6500. Will probably take a scouting trip when I go get the bag

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                                Good info! I'll likely wait to order a pack. Probably will be the 5500

Comment

Working...
                                X