Trap/skeet question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trap/skeet question

What type ammo do you use, shot size and weight and charge. My cloud doesn’t allow larger than 7 1/2. And does it matter if shooting skeet vs sporting clay or 5 stand.?

Some ranges limit to 8s or 9s and even dram,Ive seen "no more than 1300 fps posted.

Most 5 stand I like 7 1/2s. Sporting clays folks may even load for the target.

Comment

7/8 oz., 7.5 shot. I'm not a very good shooter. But a couple of guys that are very good shooters turned me on to the 7/8 oz. shot. Easy to shoot and doesn't turn a shoulder into hamburger at the end of a long round of shooting. Practice makes, well, at least decent.

Comment

7.5 and 8's are the most common shot sizes
        1200 fps

1 oz to 1 1/8 oz loads

Buddy of mine uses 9's for skeet on all guages. He shoots alot of skeet.

For a follow up shot on skeet and sporting clays less recoil makes for faster second target acquisition.

American Trap you only shoot 1 at a time so recoil is not a factor

Comment

For competition there are defined weights for the shot charge. Just FYI if your considering that.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd-ty729 View Post
            7.5 and 8's are the most common shot sizes
            1200 fps

1 oz to 1 1/8 oz loads

Buddy of mine uses 9's for skeet on all guages. He shoots alot of skeet.

For a follow up shot on skeet and sporting clays less recoil makes for faster second target acquisition.

American Trap you only shoot 1 at a time so recoil is not a factor
            ^^^ This. Especially the 9's for skeet. You certainly don't need any shot larger than 7 1/2 for trap, sporting clay's or 5 stand.
            Last edited by Monark; 12-13-2017, 08:00 PM.

Comment

I've shot every kind of shell under the sun in the past. I now just shoot a 1oz 7.5@ 1200fps. It breaks everything I can hit and does it with fairly low recoil.

Dave

Comment

Working...
              X