Night Vision hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by keatonskidmore View Post
    Killed 14 more last night. Got 10 out of this one group. I'm extremely impressed with this photon. I could clearly see pigs 150 yards on a moonless cloud covered night with the built in IR. We had two thermal sights, a N750, and my photon xt.

I see you're the only one shooting suppressed. Wondering if that makes any difference out there. Soon I will be in the same position as you with my hunting team.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
      I see you're the only one shooting suppressed. Wondering if that makes any difference out there. Soon I will be in the same position as you with my hunting team.
      Yeah its pretty much the only way I can shoot that gun really. The muzzle break is still about a 1/4" inside the hand guard with the first hole on the break. Not to mention its impossible without hearing protection. But since we all had night vision the pigs really just don't know what to do without being able to see. They just run in circles or straight towards us for a head shot

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
        Got mine setup, going to use it down in Texas next week. 3.5 Photon, 20 IT, and Doubler.
        I've gone through most of this thread and think this is the set up I want to put on my AR. Except with a Photon 4.6.

Am I on the right track here, or is there a better mouse trap already? Also, where should I purchase and what can I expect to spend?

Comment

And what is the cheapest option to video shots?

Comment

Well we had a good quick hunt tonight. I had three hunters I took out and got three lone boars one after another. The count I have just from last weekend and this weekend is 29 total.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416808152.891881.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	325.9 KB
ID:	24347183Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416808169.781968.jpg
Size:	381.1 KB
ID:	24347184Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416808178.353837.jpg
Size:	368.9 KB
ID:	24347185Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416808186.424444.jpg
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	24347186Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416808195.028206.jpg
Size:	372.3 KB
ID:	24347187

Comment

Anyone ever had issues with their photon turning off after shooting it?

I have the older model 3.5x and either the IR turns off or the whole screen goes black. I tap the battery lid and it turns back on.

I've got the battery cap on as tight as I can get it, but it still wiggles.

This is on a heavy rem 700 in 300 BLK so recoil should not be an issue.

Comment

I sent Jason a PM already, but wanted to see if it was just me and possible user error.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckySWT View Post

I have the older model 3.5x and either the IR turns off or the whole screen goes black. I tap the battery lid and it turns back on.

Never had that issue with my XT but a friend had a n750 and had that exact issue. We couldn't figure out the problem either.

Comment

The first one I got had that issue in a bad way...wouldn't even turn on.

This one turns on but the gun going off fritzes it out

Comment

Originally posted by ETXBow View Post
                      Am I on the right track here, or is there a better mouse trap already? Also, where should I purchase and what can I expect to spend?

Originally posted by ETXBow View Post
                      And what is the cheapest option to video shots?

If you "read through most of the thread" those questions should've been answered.

You're on the right track. You should purchase from Jason at Outdoor Legacy (forum sponsor and all-around great guy). MAP is $499 but PM him for a possible TBH discount. Rings or mount are about $50.

Doubler is another $200; and good IR another $200 as well. Most people, including myself, do just fine WITHOUT these two add-ons, so I would suggest starting with the Photon alone, then deciding if you want to jump in another 400 bucks.

Cheapest option to video shots is some duct tape and your cell phone. The "general recommended" method is UNV's MDVR. Jason has this as well.

I don't work for him, but he has provided outstanding customer service to me, and recommending his company is how I show my appreciation.

Comment

Can't say enough good things about Jason.

Great guy to do business with!

Comment

If you "read through most of the thread" those questions should've been answered.

You're on the right track. You should purchase from Jason at Outdoor Legacy (forum sponsor and all-around great guy). MAP is $499 but PM him for a possible TBH discount. Rings or mount are about $50.

Doubler is another $200; and good IR another $200 as well. Most people, including myself, do just fine WITHOUT these two add-ons, so I would suggest starting with the Photon alone, then deciding if you want to jump in another 400 bucks.

Cheapest option to video shots is some duct tape and your cell phone. The "general recommended" method is UNV's MDVR. Jason has this as well.

I don't work for him, but he has provided outstanding customer service to me, and recommending his company is how I show my appreciation.
                          Yup. "Most of it". Just needed some justification. ..

Comment

Originally posted by BuckySWT View Post

Had this happen to me at the range today as well with the 4.6x. The first 5-7 shots were fine, but after that it cut off after every shot. I'm hoping it's the battery.

Shooting a 30-06 BTW. Hopefully this will change soon.

Comment

x2! great guy and very easy to work with. He put up with all my questions
                              I haven't had any problems with my 4.6 turning off at all.

Comment

were we at on next orders jason

Comment

Working...
                                X