? on AC...help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

? on AC...help!

Got another OP on this forum so you can visit for the full story.

Anyone got a clue...AC quit working yesterday, STILL no "show up" from the repair company but so Dam HOT inside I told my wife, I'm turning it back on just for grins and

IT'S RUNNING??!! Cool air blowing so wondering ***? I had previously checked all the breakers and all ok? When it quit yesterday I could just hear a low humming sound so it was getting power!

As stated on the OP before, wife is getting over hip replacement surgery and has been nauseated, head ache all day so I was getting desperate.

The unit is a Trane and about 8 years old in case that means anything?? Have NO idea if it will keep running but praying anyway!!

Any thoughts as we are STILL waiting on the repair company to show!!

Just taking a stab, maybe a hard start problem?

Sent from my TA-1004 using Tapatalk

Comment

Mine has started blowing warm air before. We shut the unit off totally and wait 30min and it blows cold again. Like it’s frozen or something similar. I’ve even had the outside fan motor issue you had with the same results. I’ve also had a capacitor go bad more than once. Next year I plan on replacing my entire setup assuming it don’t burn up and get covered under warranty.

Comment

Capacitor

Watch a video on how to change. It's really easy. I'm the most unhandyman ever and I did ours.

Comment

Dirty ac filter will make the inside coils freeze up. Which in turn makes the ac not work. Check your filters?

Comment

Mine has a automatic shut off if the drain line becomes clogged. Now I'm not sure if it shuts it off or if it just shuts down tbe compressor leaving just the fan running. I would check to make sure the drain line is clear just in case. Mine is a Trane also and it's about 6 years old.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by justindfw View Post
              Dirty ac filter will make the inside coils freeze up. Which in turn makes the ac not work. Check your filters?
              Could have been this. It had time to thaw out and now gets cool air across the coils. I’m by no means AC tech though.

Comment

If the outside unit wasn't coming on, it isn't filters or drains or freezing up.

I'm almost certain it's still the start/run capacitor. It probably was ineffective while it was hot and running so hard. It cooled off and maybe had time to take some charge. Probably will still need to be replaced, but it may run a stretch while it's cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                  If the outside unit wasn't coming on, it isn't filters or drains or freezing up.

I'm almost certain it's still the start/run capacitor. It probably was ineffective while it was hot and running so hard. It cooled off and maybe had time to take some charge. Probably will still need to be replaced, but it may run a stretch while it's cool.

This.....at least in my experience.. That or the contactors somehow cleaned themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by JWalker08 View Post
                    Mine has started blowing warm air before. We shut the unit off totally and wait 30min and it blows cold again. Like it’s frozen or something similar. I’ve even had the outside fan motor issue you had with the same results. I’ve also had a capacitor go bad more than once. Next year I plan on replacing my entire setup assuming it don’t burn up and get covered under warranty.

Mine did this once and I was low on refrigerant/freon. Outside pipe froze up....turned it off, pipe thawed and it started back up. Eventually needed to get a shot of refrigerant/freon to keep it rolling.
                    Last edited by Smart; 08-27-2019, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Mine did that last summer and I called repairman out but it started working then while he was there it stopped running again. It ended up being the smart thermostat, wr lost internet and it would shut compressor off. This would cause it to take awhile to reset, he said he sees it all the time so now I got just plain old dumb thermostat

Comment

Still possible something was in the contactor not allowing high voltage to fan and compressor. The contactor is energized by 24 volts from stat.(separate power source) They can cause a hum that can be heard when the compressor and fan is not in operation Possible the contacts are worn or there was an insect under contact.

Comment

Capacitor, quick and cheap fix.

Comment

Internal overload had time to cool down and reset

Was the outdoor fan running when it wasn’t cooling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                              Mine did this once and I was low on refrigerant/freon. Outside pipe froze up....turned it off, pipe thawed and it started back up. Eventually needed to get a shot of refrigerant/freon to keep it rolling.
                              Thanks! I’ve had pieces replaced by warranty each year but I’m tired of knowing it will go out at some point each summer. It typically seems it’s just a matter of time. I’m hoping to catch a deal on a new install after this summer or before next but requardless Ive got o replace it!

Comment

Working...
                              X