JFT Turkey Tour 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smart View Post
    OML... he’s not gonna be able to fit his head in my cabin front door now[emoji13][emoji23]

He and PoPo definitely renewed my addiction to bowhunting turkeys over decoys last year on their first trip. And this year was a blast. I’m spending or will be spending way too much money upgrading “tools” for next year.[emoji41]

Haha

And you’re welcome [emoji23]🤷🏻*♂️

Comment

We got out my buddy’s place Sunday a little before noon, and hunted hard, only returning to camp once before dark to get a bite to eat. We saw sign everywhere, but could not buy a gobble until 5:30. We eventually worked a bird and got him close enough to hear him spitting and drumming, but there was a cross fence between him and us and when our decoys (that were visible to him) didn’t come to him, he lost interest and moved on. We heard a few other gobbles that evening, but none close. Just before dark we tried to cut a group of toms off going to roost, but we never could get ahead of them. My buddy had a meeting he had to go to attend Monday morning, but gave me the okay to stay for the Monday morning hunt. I’m glad I did. I wake up just as dawn’s first light is on the eastern horizon. I decide to stick near camp until a bird gobbled on its own. Eventually I hear a few birds a half mile away and begin my trek. I got setup within 150 yards of a roosted tom in a live oak on the edge of a utility easement/clearing. I give him a few soft yelps, and he gobbles, but then I hear a hen start up. I call and she calls back. Several other birds gobble further down the easement to the south. The bird I was setup on eventually flies down to the easement and heads north. Also stops gobbling. I heard three birds fly down from the tree he was in, so I assume he had a hen or two of his own.

I move further south down the easement, and can hear the birds slowly working up this way. A hen continues to yelp, with several different gobblers sounding off. I get setup on a road that comes off the easement and leads to a windmill. Two toms break away and slowly but surely start heading my way. Twenty mins after sitting down, the appear from my left. A strutter followed by a subordinate bird. They skirt the decoys (maybe they don’t care for the name at this point of the season, but are still within shotgun range). I give a few yelps with the mouth call to break the leading tom out of strut. He gobbles, and continues to walk by slowly. I put him down, and the subordinate bird runs behind a small cedar. I give him a yelp, and he pokes his head out enough for a clear shot.

The birds I’ve killed this year have really liked a loud series of yelps on a box call. They could be well within range of my diaphragm calling, but would gobble more frequently with the sheer volume I was able to create with a box, even on calm days.

Comment

OML... he’s not gonna be able to fit his head in my cabin front door now[emoji13][emoji23]

He and PoPo definitely renewed my addiction to bowhunting turkeys over decoys last year on their first trip. And this year was a blast. I’m spending or will be spending way too much money upgrading “tools” for next year.[emoji41]
        You're telling me! I feel like I have to order some DSD's now. I have never been too big on the decoy thing but I realize how much of a difference it makes now. This weekend we watched a bird cross about 1/4 mile of open field just to come say hi...you woulda thought the dang thing had 170" of antler on his head with how shook up I got...the fire has been re-ignited.

Oh yeah uh btw....good luck up North this week Clay.

Comment

JFT Turkey Tour 2018

Bout to board for Salt Lake to Casper

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post

Good luck! Safe Travels!

BTW ...PoPo asked me to FedEx Fake Jake up to Casper for him....

Comment

Good luck! Bring ya back some of them white tipped tail feathers!!

Comment

Good luck! Safe Travels!

BTW ...PoPo asked me to FedEx Fake Jake up to Casper for him....

Ship it. I’ll leave it here!

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
                Good luck! Bring ya back some of them white tipped tail feathers!!

That’s the plan!

Comment

Travis Hall, CEO of Browning North America and I got a tough one Sunday evening and four before 10:00 AM yesterday morning. We were hunting some really good country in the Hill Country with lots of gobbling birds. Not sure I will go after them again this spring as I am busy chasing other critters.
                  While a box call can generate a lot of volume, nothing beats a "snuff box" call especially when Cuz Strickland is blowing it. I have hunted with Cuz for many years and he can raise a bird better than anyone I ever saw. I tell him that they aren't really answering him, just shock gobbling back.
                  Adios,
                  Gary

Comment

Good luck Clay, and keep us posted.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiebush View Post
                      Good luck Clay, and keep us posted.

Will do my best. I’ll take notes during the day in case there isn’t service.

There should be good service at the lodge.

Comment

Ship it. I’ll leave it here!
                        !

Hahahahahaha

Comment

“Name” should be replaced with “Jake” in my previous post when I mentioned that maybe the birds didn’t care for the decoy at this point in the season.

Comment

Made it

Snowing and cold

Comment

Good luck to all out there ! Finally sealed the deal on this Tom.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Great bird, Congratulations!
                                Adios,
                                Gary

Comment

Working...
                                X