Head or back legs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head or back legs

How do you hang deer? I'm a back legs guy. Is hanging by the head an east Texas thing?

back legs. tried doing a pig by the head before but i feel like the front legs get in the way.

Comment

Back legs.

Comment

back legs

Bisch

Comment

Back legs and I haven't gutted a deer in years.

Comment

back legs, the way God intended.

Comment

Back legs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Head, if I am going the cape a deer out I will hang by the back legs.

To answer the question about the "east Texas thing", I grew up in east Texas hanging them by the head. When I moved to west Texas I found that everyone used a gambrel and did as the romans do for a while. Then I talked a few buddies into skinning deer the way I was raised and they seemed to believe it was easier that way. But we still skinned deer by the back legs if we were going to cape them out. I always had issues with trying not to dump the hams off the gambrel when cutting them loose. Skinning by the back legs just seemed to be a PITA to me but maybe I'm just weird.
                Last edited by BBReezen; 10-11-2016, 09:54 AM.

Comment

I do them on the tailgate laying down. Much better than having them hanging, and swinging around

Comment

Head all day long unless I am caping them out.

Comment

Back legs spreads the animal out more and lot better clean cuts to avoid swinging when i was younger my dad would make me hold the deer where he wasnt cutting so he could skin it����

Comment

Back legs.

Comment

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
                          Head, if I am going the cape a deer out I will hang by the back legs.

To answer the question about the "east Texas thing", I grew up in east Texas hanging them by the head. When I moved to west Texas I found that everyone used a gambrel and did as the romans do for a while. Then I talked a few buddies into skinning deer the way I was raised and they seemed to believe it was easier that way. But we still skinned deer by the back legs if we were going to cape them out. I always had issues with trying not to dump the hams off the gambrel when cutting them loose. Skinning by the back legs just seemed to be a PITA to me but maybe I'm just weird.
                          Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
                          Head all day long unless I am caping them out.
                          ^^^ This. I've done both and find hanging by the head is much easier, especially when it comes to taking off the hindquarters.

Comment

I have never skinned one hanging by the head so I really can't imagine how it works so well. But hanging by the legs has worked well for me. To fix the swinging issue you just simply tie a string from one leg to a pole and that solves it all right there. Once skinned around the hind quarters just run the blade down the middle to it's head, down the middle of both fronts, skin down past the tail then get a buddy and pull that hide off. Really pretty easy that way. But obviously if caping for a mount you wouldn't cut it down the middle or cut the front legs down the middle either.

Comment

Back legs

Comment

Working...
                              X