No announcement yet.

Spending the night in a blind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't have any experience with sleeping in a blind. But here's a scenario. Say you fall asleep,it's dark and the wind blows right at him and he takes off. If he winds you in the dark he's gonna get pushed out anyways. At least in the day light you'll be able to see him and get a shot before that happens. You not being able to see what's going on,making noise in your sleep and everything else could do what you're trying to prevent doing.

Just something to think about. That might not happen at all but I think it could.

Comment

I believe that okrattler is correct.

I'm assuming this is a bow blind and is close. If it is a gun blind and is positioned a long way off it will be a lot easier.

I would have to be VERY sure that the wind would stay steady and he would not circle and catch a whiff of me. I would also take off shoes, watch, rings anything that could make a noise. Do you snore.

If the deer is smart enough to be nocturnal already if you bump him at night I bet he will be gone for good.

Be very careful.

Comment

Box blind yes pop up no

Comment

That's how I killed this buck the last day of the season last year. Went in at 9 PM after my buddy left to head home. Shot him.at 715 am next morning. I had been busting em out every time heading in early to hunt them. It seemed like.the only logical way to be in there and not spook them again. It worked for me.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes, once. And it paid off, big time. Not sure I could do it again, he’d have to be a monster..

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
              Yes, once. And it paid off, big time. Not sure I could do it again, he’d have to be a monster..
              Right!!! No dinks like the first one,huh???

Comment

I slept in an Atascosa 5x8 trailer blind one night.It was set up in the middle of a wheat field.Woke up,and the deer were on the far end of the wheat field the next morning.Btw,that blind was nicer than the house we stay in!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                  .....and

....and I slowly climbed out of my sleeping bag, and looked through the mesh window of my pop up blind to see that the buck I've been hunting was actually right in front of me. He was broadsided, and eating the hand corn I had toss out the night before. I quietly strapped the release on my wrist, nocked an arrow, and took aim. Just when he put his front leg forward I released an arrow, and watched it fly right over his back as he ducked about 8". Never saw that buck again

Comment

yes, you can do it.

Honestly, it sucks though and I think the potential is there to leave a lot of scent in the area.

Comment

Just make sure you're not trespassing and your story stays straight that you shot him before dark or after light! Been a while since that drama LOL

Comment

I have several times while pig hunting with my feeder light. Took short naps and peek to see if the motion activated green feeder light is shining. If not, nap time again. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The only real question to me, is can you shoot straight... with no coffee, no food in your stomach, bleary eyes, cramped muscles from lack of stretching, and your gut/bladder demanding immediate attention? If yes, post LDP's!

Comment

Not sure on your feed times but try only spin feeding at morning sunlight. I had a lot of night time activity until I quit feeding at evening.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                              ....and I slowly climbed out of my sleeping bag, and looked through the mesh window of my pop up blind to see that the buck I've been hunting was actually right in front of me. He was broadsided, and eating the hand corn I had toss out the night before. I quietly strapped the release on my wrist, nocked an arrow, and took aim. Just when he put his front leg forward I released an arrow, and watched it fly right over his back as he ducked about 8". Never saw that buck again
                              You forgot to brush your teeth. Might have made all the difference

OP get the hunt stand app on your phone. You will know what direction wind is blowing. That is a big factor.

Comment

Just get in there early before there's any hint of light and if you can do it without use of a flashlight at all, I think you'll be fine. I've walked in early and once the sun came up there were deer still bedded down that were within 15 yards of where I walked. Their vision isn't that good and as long as you don't do something to really spook them, you should be fine.

Comment

Working...
                                X