Anyone ever built a fence...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever built a fence...

Behind an existing old fence line that is well treed?

Here is my dilemma. We are building a new barndo on our property. We have an approximate 100 foot open area in front where we had to take down the old fence to grade the site. I am going back in with a pipe fence. Out side of the area we had to clear for grading the old fence row is heavily treed with some big trees and some scrubs. My options are to clean the old fence row out and install new or put the new fence inside the old fence row. Currently the old fence row gives a good screen from the county road. Am I crazy to consider leaving it? Has anyone done this before?

Since you said the fence is on the edge of the county road and not an adjoining property I would do just like you suggested. However, if it was between my property and a neighbor I would want to protect the integrity of the property boundary and install the fence where its supposed to go. If that makes sense.

Comment

We just built a fence in Fayette County, and part of the fence was along a county road. I called our commissioner and the county cleared the fence line free of charge. Then we put up new fence.

Comment

Thieves like to hit homes that have a lot of cover. They can sneak around and not be seen by passing traffic. I would clean it out. I was not bothered for 25 years. I cleaned mine out after I was hit for about $10K in stuff.

Comment

I would build it and encourage growth on my side about 10’ in. Leaving a clear fence line.
          By encourage I mean don’t clear. And fertilize that natural vegetation inside line heavy.

Comment

Working...
          X