The "I don't know Africa thread"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The "I don't know Africa thread"

Been thinking about this subject for a long time and thought maybe the blood shed may not be worth it then I did a bit of reading and listening and have decided let's make a go of it. Hoping we only get "superficial wounds" and nothing more severe.

First I have little to no desire to hunt Africa with any weapon. I can't afford it and even if I could most the animals do not really get my interest much if at all. So why start a thread here? I have seen several that have been, are going etc. off this very forum.

I have a bad enough time with HF here Texas. Not all are bad not all are good either, imo. Listening to stories of "Cecil the Lion", caged hunts, endangered species always gets my attention.

Until a few yrs. ago I never imagined Africa as a HF, caged hunt, breeding this and that type continent. I always saw it as a raw, natural, privileged place of property where everything is/was free range. Those realities have set in and I no longer think of it as such.

So with the above stated I am curious of what really goes one in Africa and hunting. Is it as bad as it has been brought up in the last several yrs.? Or is it not bad at all and one can turn an eye to some of the nonsense that is publicly placed out for us to view?

Really interested in the guys who have been, continue to go etc. But of course need feed back from us who have that desire to know about the Dark Continent as well.

I went in 2008, 2010 and 2012 and will return more times. I have been in South Africa in the Limpopo and in the southern Kalahari where I killed my lioness. Fences mean nothing to the vast majority of animals over there, even the high fences. They will go over, under or through the fences. These animals are hunted by someone or some animal 24/7 and are very, very wary. Sitting at a water hole, you better not make noise in the blind or stick your broadhead out the window of the blind or your opportunity for a shot is quickly gone. Not all my kills have been around water or out of a blind. My Nyala, Lioness and 2 Bushbucks have all been on a spot and stalk hunt. It ain't easy believe me and even if you do not kill anything, just sitting at a waterhole and seeing the numbers of animals that may come in and the different species you will see possibly can only bee seen in Africa or at a zoo.

I had no desire like you to go hunt Africa until I started reading books by all the AFrican hunters and writers such as Capstick. Most are written well before our time, but they still peaked my interest and I am **** happy I went! They are right when they say that once you go you will return. It gets in your blood and fast!

I have hunted with the same outfitter all 3 times and will return with him again and again. A wonderful God fearing family that we have become close friends with. The food is fantastic, the scenery is almost like South Texas to an extent except for the mountain and hills and the hunting is fantastic.

Comment

So I’ve personally never been. But a buddy of mine went to Limpopo a few years ago and had a blast. Shot several animals and loved it. To my surprise, most of all was high fenced. Supposedly it is to help deter poaching. He also said that the areas that are fenced are huge. 10,000 acres or more. And the animals were still tough to get on. Especially zebra. So I can see where you are coming from. I never thought of it as high fenced at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I went to the south eastern cape. Best trip I’ve ever been on. Service was great scenery was beautiful and I got to shoot lots of critters. Hunting was just icing on the cake. Africa is an amazing place.

Comment

Target rich environment, great food, accommodations and company!

What’s not to like?

Comment

I go over for business several times a year and have lost count of how many times I have hunted there.
            they don’t have welfare and folks are hungry. If not for the fences they would not have any game left. Hunger will make folks kill animals any way they can.
            The fence there are to keep folks out more than keep game in.

Finest place on earth to be a bowhunter

Comment

Just go. I do not know one person who went and did not consider it one of the major highlights of their lifetime outdoor experiences.

Comment

Ive been to South Africa 5 times and Zimbabwe twice. Yes many parts of South Africa are high fenced but not all. Very very little outside South Africa and Namibia is high fenced. On my first trip, it was mentioned the fences are to keep the people out and not necessarily the animals in. Some of the best hunts Ive done are free range in South Africa. I would consider South Africa very similar to Texas from a hunting stand point and just like there are many types of hunting in Texas and Texas is different than the rest of North America, same with Africa. The free range areas across Africa are far more wild and with higher populations of animals than pretty much any where in North America.

Africa is a truly wild and wonderful place. The continent has hundreds of cultures and the most amazing diversity of geography and wildlife. The reason to go is to explore an entirely new way of living, new types of wildlife and scenery.

Comment

All of the above post are spot on. Africa is amazing and I have my 12th hunt booked for next year. The only thing I can add to the above is once there, and when you start to see how the vast majority of the people live outside of the big cities, you will appreciate what you have and your troubles will seem very small and insignificant.

Comment

Lots of stuff I refuse to try. It might be the gateway to kick and shoot

Comment

One other thing to add, PER ANIMAL, it may be cheaper to hunt Africa than anywhere in the world, especially for the animals you can kill. I say this in reference to going on a trophy whitetail, elk, muley or exotic hunt anywhere in the states.

Comment

Hunting in South Africa is a lot like hunting in Texas...and I like both

Comment

I say don’t go man, I mean I have no desire to go to Midland and you live there so..

Comment

Going back for my third time in may. People say it’s too expensive, then spend thousands of dollars on one animal here in the states. In 2016, I took my dad for his 70th bday and my son for his 16th bday. Turn key, everything from plane tickets, food, lodging, 9 animals, taxidermy, tips and trophies shipped home was less than $16k. That’s about $5k each for 5 star accommodations, excellent food, target rich environment and the chance to travel halfway around the world to see it all. Yes, it’s worth every penny!

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post

I had no desire like you to go hunt Africa until I started reading books by all the AFrican hunters and writers such as Capstick. Most are written well before our time, but they still peaked my interest and I am **** happy I went! They are right when they say that once you go you will return. It gets in your blood and fast!
                              Do they still hunt lions in the brush like Capstick did? I'd be down for that. Sounds dangerous as hell

Comment

Working...
                              X