Duvall county hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duvall county hunting?

My old man is looking at buying a piece of property 12 miles north of San Diego. Does anyone on TBH hunt in the area or know anything about the deer numbers in that area of the county? Thanks

We hunt Duval county between San Diego and Benevides area. When we got the lease 4 years ago, there was nothing but trash bucks on the place. We concentrated on cleaning those out and now are seeing nice symmetrical bucks. Bucks seem to have the short tine genetics in the area. Lots of other game to shoot at also. In the first 2 years, we killed 17 bobcats between 4 of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I hunted between San Diego and Benavides for a few years until the landowner decided he wanted to hunt it more than we did. Lots of small properties surrounded the 1000 acres we were on, so it was hard to really manage the deer between that, the hogs, and overgrazing the cattle. The year after I got off they took off the cattle and some of the guys stayed for 2 years after that until the landowner took it over. There were some decent bucks killed after the cattle were taken off the place.

I love that country down there and would love to have a place in that area at some point.

Comment

Really hit or miss, especially around SanDiego. If there are smaller properties or county roads bordering the ranch it may very well be shot out or poached. Seen it many times in the area, lots of people in the area have the mentality "if it's brown it's down"

Comment

Hunted the area in the past . There are some good deer to be had. Poachers are pretty bad out there though in certain spots mainly right off the main highways. Turkeys ,predators ,javelina, hogs and Whitetail are all very common .

Comment

Unless it's a pretty big piece of property there's no way I'd do it. That part of the county is cut up into little tracks and WAY over harvested.

Comment

My buddy hunts around 500 acres 7 miles north of town. Plenty of critters on his place to hunt, biggest deer I have seen is 140ish but its hard to control trigger fingers of the neighbors with a low fence. Deer, Turkey, hogs, great dove and quail, loads of predators. I would do extensive research on neighboring properties before I bought there but wouldn’t hesitate in the right place. Growing big deer is very possible there

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                Unless it's a pretty big piece of property there's no way I'd do it. That part of the county is cut up into little tracks and WAY over harvested.
                Yep a friend of mine from San Antonio got on a lease in that general area north of town and he had more pics of hunters that shouldn't have been on the property than deer.

Comment

Hell to the NO!

Comment

Leased a place between San Diego and Benevides. Saw 0 deer.

Comment

I hunted 6000 acres near Benevides, it was high fenced on three sides. About 5 miles down a dirt road from the main paved road. Threw several locked gates and we were still poached. I often wonder how they got there.

Comment

Got to hunt on the Kaffie ranch. Saw some big deer but the little ranches along the border fence all put blinds up and watched the big ranch. Turn down one sendero and you see ten guys all turn around and open windows to their 50 acres. If the place is small or surrounded by small places that is not good. Had night poachers driving down the back roads all the time.

Comment

Locals poach that area pretty hard

Comment

north of san diego is better than south for **** sure. Duval is probably one of the most poached, year around hunted counties in the state. Everyone down there is related from county commissioners to local law enforcement, judges...
                            a buddy of mine has 150 acres between san diego and benavides and counted the blinds with a 1 mile radius of him. I think it was around 45.

Comment

I just got on a lease in Benavides I sure hope we don’t have poaching issues like everyone says.

Comment

Working...
                              X