No announcement yet.

Aging deer on the hoof - best & worst signs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something I have noticed during Hard Horn season is that really mature deer like 5+ tend to be lighter or grayer in color at least here in Texas in the places I have hunted.
    One thing for sure is that when the big one steps out, it's obvious because a mature deer just looks different all over to me.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
      Something I have noticed during Hard Horn season is that really mature deer like 5+ tend to be lighter or grayer in color at least here in Texas in the places I have hunted.
      One thing for sure is that when the big one steps out, it's obvious because a mature deer just looks different all over to me.
      I have noticed the complete opposite, the older deer at my ranch seem to be darker in color in both horns and body color than the younger deer.

Comment

I usually look at the face, roman nose, hairy inner ears ect... Heck that sounds like me.

Comment

Originally posted by gravesc987 View Post
          I have noticed the complete opposite, the older deer at my ranch seem to be darker in color in both horns and body color than the younger deer.
          This^^^^^

I like to look at the neck/brisket/front shoulder section. To me this is the main indicator of a mature deer. Also I like to see if I can see the skin hanging loose under their chin, another trait of mature deer

Comment

If you are looking at one characteristic, then I think you will be wrong most of the time. I think you have to look at the deer in it's entirety. Neck to body match, overall body size, pot belly, short legs or not, roman nose, etc. Then I look once they start scraping hard, and the mature bucks will have black hocks, with stains all the way down thier legs. The really mature bucks also tend to get callouses (sp) on thier front knees.

Comment

Good thread Codie. In addition to what some of the others have said, I like to see how long their legs appear. Usually once they get mature, it seems due to thickening of the brisket area, that the front start to appear much shorter.

Comment

Originally posted by big_smith View Post
                If you are looking at one characteristic, then I think you will be wrong most of the time. I think you have to look at the deer in it's entirety. Neck to body match, overall body size, pot belly, short legs or not, roman nose, etc. Then I look once they start scraping hard, and the mature bucks will have black hocks, with stains all the way down thier legs. The really mature bucks also tend to get callouses (sp) on thier front knees.
                That is good, I saw a mature buck last year with callouses on his front "knees" and now realized what it actually meant, he was old.
                I look first at the body relative to the legs, short looking legs...equals big thick body...mature buck, but also the chest/brisket area and the loose skin around the face. Sometimes the face is grayer, but not always. And I like to see a big wide butt. Most of our deer tend to get darker with age, not lighter, the face being an exception.
                As far as hock staining, my understanding is that if the hocks are darker they are just scent marking more, hornier???? We feel that an 8 point that has long dark hocks may???? be a more active breeder and if we don't like his antler characteristics, then he moves up on the "hit list" Just our take on things.
                But we all know when the "big guy" shows up, all of the other deer begin to act differently, how they interact with him, he is the boss, he is the
                "stud", I think it is harder to decide on a big deer when he is alone rather than in a group and when the grass is tall early in the season and you can't see the body/leg ratio it is sometimes hard to tell whether he is mature or not.
                all of this in my opinion, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                  I don't think you can age a deer by color at all. This is not an indication in any way of how old or young a deer is.

Comment

I thought you were supposed to take a picture of it and post it here with the caption "How old is he?" !

Comment

I try to take all of the aging factors into account when trying to field age, but if I had to only choose one, it would also be the chest/brisket/shoulder area!

Comment

Originally posted by leasecommander View Post
                        That is good, I saw a mature buck last year with callouses on his front "knees" and now realized what it actually meant, he was old.
                        I look first at the body relative to the legs, short looking legs...equals big thick body...mature buck, but also the chest/brisket area and the loose skin around the face. Sometimes the face is grayer, but not always. And I like to see a big wide butt. Most of our deer tend to get darker with age, not lighter, the face being an exception.
                        As far as hock staining, my understanding is that if the hocks are darker they are just scent marking more, hornier???? We feel that an 8 point that has long dark hocks may???? be a more active breeder and if we don't like his antler characteristics, then he moves up on the "hit list" Just our take on things.
                        But we all know when the "big guy" shows up, all of the other deer begin to act differently, how they interact with him, he is the boss, he is the
                        "stud", I think it is harder to decide on a big deer when he is alone rather than in a group and when the grass is tall early in the season and you can't see the body/leg ratio it is sometimes hard to tell whether he is mature or not.
                        all of this in my opinion, of course.

You sure that deer wasn't just queer??!!

Comment

The size of their sack is a good indicator too

Comment

Originally posted by Peyton View Post
                            The size of their sack is a good indicator too
                            Peyton- good point but who on the Greenscreen can run up behind one and grab and see?

I'm not fast enough. Even if I was I would let you go first.

Hehehe

Comment

Working...
                            X