No announcement yet.

Seriously?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ya'll go got nothing to complain about, read about what happened at Beaumont ISD and see the fbi investigation and arrests and indictments that resulted,,,,, I keep hoping they will actually go after the ring master super,,,

Comment

Clear Creek built a new stadium a few years ago....$39,000,000. Alvin ISD has theirs at $41,000,000. Clear Creek was sharing one VERY OLD stadium for 6-6A Schools. They needed a new place. THey have held state track meets there as well. Nice place. Both of my kids are in college now so of course I do not like paying the taxes. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
        We're sponsoring a program right now with our local school district with curriculum and hands on experience in civil construction. It includes reading plans, equipment operation, surveying and layout, safety, estimating, material purchasing and project management. It's in its infancy, but we have great hopes that it'll teach some valuable trades to the young men that want to go straight into the workforce.
        Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
        It doesn't surprise me at all that you are in on something like that. I'm a member of a council of folks in my business, and we collectively are supporting similar programs.

I know you already know this, but we are in the middle of a labor crisis right now. There are too many kids getting college degrees that just don't pay off. They don't want to really work, And we just don't have enough "legal" guys who will do the actual work.

I don't know the real solution to the problem, but I do know that it's going to cost EVERYONE more money pretty soon. And if the wall builders get their way...I'm gonna pass the losses on to them....and they are NOT going to like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Agree. There needs to be more of this. Our oldest is a HS senior this year, almost straight A's and never an ounce of trouble out of him. We have encouraged him to think outside the college box when it comes to a career and look into going into some sort of an apprenticeship straight out of high school. Even to take college classes to get a degree that may help with advancement along the way and do the above at the same time. He has spent the last 3 summers working for his uncles framing houses and doing manual labor and he says he actually really enjoyed it.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbad243 View Post
          It couldn't be just for improvement based on what the teachers/parents want could it? Oh wait, from the very site of this school which the OP posted upon:

This year our fundraising goal is to raise $17,000 for playground improvements
          (update our blacktop with games/activities, similar to Story Elementary, and add soccer goals).

Says nothing about disrepair, or anything of the sort. If you want to have a discussion about misappropriations, we can have that, but this OP was all about him now know what the donation was for, and then several people hopping in about it was the board, or.... They dont need these things, they want them, thus the asking of donations.
          Look at my OP. I said "upgrades". The way I see it, what they want are upgrades and should be handled with monies already being paid by the citizens.

Comment

No, that isn't how any of this works lol. (Insert the old lady posting on her wall meme).

Comment

Originally posted by 96ags View Post
              A bond issue is the exact definition of a loan.

The bond buyer agrees to loan the school district money for a set period of time with the promise of the funds being paid back at a set interest rate.
              Yeah and then the citizens are responsible for paying that note off through higher than giraffe *** school taxes whether they want it or not. It's easy to pay for something when it's someone else's money...La Grange just did the same **** thing for almost $60 mil when I've had more than a handful of people in the large construction field tell me it could have been done for $35, $40 mil tops.
              Last edited by kck; 09-21-2018, 11:49 AM.

Comment

If you want to have a discussion about misappropriations, we can have that.
                I thought that was the intent of the OP. Just because you don't agree doesn't mean the subject changed.

Hoggslayer

Comment

Allen has good Schools
                  good Parks and Neighborhoods
                  good Property value

Doesn't seem like it's all that bad of a place. Seem to be doing a good job overall.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                    I thought that was the intent of the OP. Just because you don't agree doesn't mean the subject changed.

Hoggslayer
                    No he thought the school/District/Board was soliciting donations when in fact it is/was the PTA

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                      Lots of these programs exist in Texas. A buddy of mine helped start a welding program in Splendora ISD that certified young men as welders upon completion. There is a district (I can't recall which one) that does airplane mechanics sponsored by an airline. I wanted to do something that was specific to civil construction rather than general construction practices. I know how hard it is to find good people, so we decided to help create them.
                      No doubt, my wife and I don't have any kids, so I am somewhat out of the loop on vocation education here in Texas high school's. It's good to see folks like you, taking an active role to change it.

My wife and I do our own part to show kids they can make a lot of money without a college education, and it blows my mind how many kids have it instilled in them from day 1 that college is the ONLY way to make millions, or even a living.
                      Last edited by WItoTX; 09-21-2018, 12:08 PM. Reason: .

Comment

No he thought the school/District/Board was soliciting donations when in fact it is/was the PTA
                        No, He thought the Parents and Teachers (PTA) were asking for money because they were forced to pick up the slack after the school board wasted all the tax money. But really, I can't say for sure what the OP was really talking about because I don't know him from Adam.

Comment

A distinction with little difference though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There is an incredible amount of wasteful spending in public education, just like any other governmental bureaucracy. I wouldn't give them another dime. They need to learn how to use your tax dollars more wisely. Of course they always lean on the "It's for the children" argument and try to tug on folks' heartstrings. Sadly, the general public falls for this regularly. Then, for those that don't, they are shouted down as heartless and not caring about kids or their education. Because, after all, they are our future....blah, blah. Blah. This has lead to crazy spending on all the wrong stuff, IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
                              Isnt a bond just a tax imposed on the other 49 percent by the 51 percent?
                              Correct.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Comment

I got an e-mail from The Friends of Anderson. It did not include anything that said it was the PTA. It just said they were asking for donations. I didn't know who the heck they were. My son went to school here in Allen and even went to Anderson. Now his daughter goes there and this is the first time I ever heard about them.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind donating for things like the school carnival, after school programs and things of that nature. Heck, I'll help them convert a closet into a "I'm A Little Snowflake Safe Room". But if it is an upgrade, update or any thing involving the actual school or school grounds, it needs to be paid with district money that we the citizens pay each year.
                                Last edited by Goldeneagle; 09-21-2018, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X