Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks! What do you mean by heel? Dumb question I know LOL

Comment

heel is to command her to stay by your side.. that's how I use the word at least[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My gsp would heel to my right. A step behind me.
        Also would heel when I was on a 4 wheeler or truck.

Comment

Ahhh ok got it. When do they start to retrieve for you? She's only 11 weeks so I'm thinking she will get the hang of it. I read some good threads on here about training and books to read on and all that. I really want her to find downed doves in tall grass. She don't need to be a field champion just get em most of the time and come back. Easier said than done I'm sure!

Comment

GSP Question

Both of these are necessary, probably the whisky first then the book. My GSP is 11 months old and has had an amazing quail season but I have put immense work into her as well as 8 weeks with a trainer at the beginning of dove season.

I run her and my Boykin daily, if not she will create moments to release her energy that aren't constructive. I keep her off leash and she hops right in the truck, listens well, and all if she has been exercised. A few weeks ago the weather had been in the teens and snowy/rainy for several days. Went to head to the office after lunch and she darts out of the house, down the alley, to the golf course. She ran in 1/4 mile circles for ten minutes on hole number 6. I drove down there and watched her, she wouldn't come to me. Finally when she was done she came to the truck and hopped in. People aren't joking when they say you have to exercise them daily. I can always tell when she is getting restless or anxious.

Now GSPs are the most loving, human attached dogs and will be couch potatoes with you all day, but you gotta get energy out. They also can go over 6-7' privacy fences lol. Smart, athletic, lean, long legs, everything you want in a woman but just like that woman they are high maintenance.

I can only imagine how good she will be when she matures because right now she is a machine in the field.

Last edited by rferg84; 01-27-2017, 06:49 PM.

Comment

You will not find a better hunting buddy than your gsp. Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by STex View Post
                Well I've gone and done it! 11 weeks old. Counter surfing already.
                Great looking pup. I didn't understand what everyone in the GSP community meant by that, I do now. One day we looked in the kitchen and our ninja dog someone stealthily ascended onto the countertop and was chilling up there asleep.

Comment

You will never poop alone again.

She should retrieve pretty naturally. If not try a bumper on a rope. Start with the basics and work up. No, sit, down, stay, come. They are eager to please, you just have to speak their language.

Comment

Thanks all. She naturally will just sit and stare at me waiting for some sort of stimulus from me, and that is really amazing to me. She has some energy though. She sleeps in short spurts then when she's up she up just like a human baby for the most part.

MYSRT8u -- pretty Dog my friend!

Comment

Thanks all. She naturally will just sit and stare at me waiting for some sort of stimulus from me, and that is really amazing to me. She has some energy though. She sleeps in short spurts then when she's up she up just like a human baby for the most part.

I've yet to see my two lose energy lol! If she shows a lot of concentration on things that is really good. Mine nearly goes cross eyed he's concentrating so hard. Gsps are supposed to have noses as good as a hound. So she shouldn't have any problem finding downed birds! Good luck with her! They're a lot of fun to train with!

Comment

Thanks brother. She's a nutcase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

They really are the best dogs. People that have problems with them don't seem to understand how much exercise they need and how tough/stubborn they are. Mine is 8 years old now and will still get a little neurotic if he isn't run off leash for 2-3 days. Keep in mind he has free range of 5+ acres every day at my shop and it's still not enough. He really mellows out and behaves so much better when properly exercised.

Richard Wolter's "Gun dog" and "water dog" books are great. Be consistent with them and don't slack off with following the rules or they will take advantage of you, they're smart.

Also, what most dog owners would consider "discipline" may not get through to them. Patting her on the head while you're petting her and slowly increasing the force until she walks away will give you an idea of where it stops being positive attention. For mine it's about as hard as you would swat a 4-5 yr old on the butt.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
                            They really are the best dogs. People that have problems with them don't seem to understand how much exercise they need and how tough/stubborn they are. Mine is 8 years old now and will still get a little neurotic if he isn't run off leash for 2-3 days. Keep in mind he has free range of 5+ acres every day at my shop and it's still not enough. He really mellows out and behaves so much better when properly exercised.

Richard Wolter's "Gun dog" and "water dog" books are great. Be consistent with them and don't slack off with following the rules or they will take advantage of you, they're smart.

Also, what most dog owners would consider "discipline" may not get through to them. Patting her on the head while you're petting her and slowly increasing the force until she walks away will give you an idea of where it stops being positive attention. For mine it's about as hard as you would swat a 4-5 yr old on the butt.

Gun dog is a great book, the humor is so politically incorrect. He does suggest treating your dog like your wife, they both need to be smacked when they misbehave.

Comment

Well I took the advice and got another one. The breeder called me and made me a deal I couldn't refuse on my first pups littermate. Not sure what I've gotten into! Thank goodness I have 100 acres for them to play on.

Can you hunt with two dogs or what? Guess they need to behave to pull that off!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Well I took the advice and got another one. The breeder called me and made me a deal I couldn't refuse on my first pups littermate. Not sure what I've gotten into! Thank goodness I have 100 acres for them to play on.

Can you hunt with two dogs or what? Guess they need to behave to pull that off!
                                Oh my.... good luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X