No announcement yet.

GSP Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Appreciate these thoughts and I'm much more comfortable with keeping a dog outside now. I have a carport and a set of steps the dog can get under to get out of the weather. Now I just need to find the dogs I want!

Comment

Hey I have one more question on GSPs..... can you bring them around to do things off leash like on a ranch or do they tend to run off and cause you to send out a search party?

Comment

Originally posted by STex View Post
        Hey I have one more question on GSPs..... can you bring them around to do things off leash like on a ranch or do they tend to run off and cause you to send out a search party?
        Mine it was a search party till I got a shock collar. Fixed that problem. And I taught him when I say come he better come or he's gonna get his butt lit up. Now I don't really put it on him a whole lot cause he learned to come. I'll let him get some distance but not too far away before calling him back. Just gotta keep an eye on him. Their nose is like a hound. It distracts them

Comment

Originally posted by STex View Post

Train it with a whistle. Mine listens to the whistle 100x better than voice if she ever does wander off to far. I can sit her down and come at anytime with a whistle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good stuff. Hey is there any material difference in the way a female behaves vs a male GSP? I've located a female I'm talking about bringing on board.

Comment

I have a female as well and she's not as high strung as my male and they're both 1.5 years old. Both are smart. Get them as puppy's and teach them the basics. If they have the drive then the hunting part should come natural

Comment

Never had a female, but I have seen a few gun shy ones.

Mine wont run off, but he may chase a deer and forget where he needs to go back to. Get a shock collar for sure, I have a tritronics and really like it. It allows you to shock em or buzz em. Mine knows that when he is buzzed he better get his spotted tail back to me or the shock will soon follow.

X3 on the whistle. When mine was a pup, I would whistle for him before I fed him. Make him sit and lay down before I would put his bowl down. He can be on the other side of the house, asleep for hours, and when he hears me whistle his comes in like a freight rain.

Comment

I personally prefer to train females (of any breed). Just like teaching a person to shoot, I have always been impressed how much quicker and better females pick up shooting...

They also seem to fit in socially better too... If you take your dog(s) with you to other gatherings and there are 2 males, they WILL fight. May happen to some extent with females, but it is GUARANTEED with males.

Comment

Dodge is collar conditioned. It took some time and little by little I let him run further and further. Each time, I just beeped him three times on his collar for my signal for him to return to me. Once he returned, he was able to get a tiny treat and then was allowed to run again. As many said, I did this every single day for at least six months. Now, he runs and sometimes returns on his own, checks in, rubs against me and takes off again. The best training for Dodge was the collar and it has rarely had to used as a shocking collar. The beep and the vibrate feature works like a charm for him.

Comment

Well I've gone and done it! 11 weeks old. Counter surfing already.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Female

Comment

She is a beauty! I love the solid liver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Love my GSP, I will say that she gets some separation anxiety when she's not around me. I take her to the office with me 90% of the time though. Best dog ever.

Comment

Good looking pup!

There are some gsp books out there. I used one when I had a gsp.

Train her for 15-20 several times a day.
                              Socialize her with other dogs. Take her to the playground and let her see and hear kids.

Teach her to woah, sit, stay and heal.

Good luck!

Comment

Congrats, you can get ahead of the counter surfing right away. I clicker trained my pup and set him up to succeed now, he knows he isnt allowed to do things like counter surfing or even entering the kitchen and rooms. Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X