German shorthair pointer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cbb1722 View Post
    Man he sure looks skinny to me. I guess it just goes back to me being around coonhounds my whole life lol.
    You should be able to count at least 3 of the back ribs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

My GSP lives in the house with us. She probably runs 3-5 miles per day plus what she does on her own in the back yard. She gets about 1.5 cups morning and evening and weighs 51 lbs. Don't worry about it. I might worry about the diarrhea after a while tho.

Comment

Comment

A little oil or raw eggs will help put a little weight on and help out with his coat.

Comment

Comment

And I guess I didn't look well but he is not underweight !

Comment

Originally posted by Heathbar_tx View Post
                Cant see you picture very good but 50 to 60 lbs is about average for male shorthairs. I have 7 that are all females none are over 45 lbs. There are lots of studies showing it is better for the dog to be under weight than over as it put stress not only on their structure but also on their heart and tendons. There is really no need to worm him every month either. Another thing to try that will help his stomach problems is feeding twice a day. Good luck and get the dog on some quail as it is an epic year!
                Seven?! How do you keep your sanity?

OP, I have a female just under three and she is 48#s. We feed two cups twice a day. She runs everyday about two hours a day and still stays lean. She did put weight on at closer to her second year.

Good luck
                Last edited by j944; 11-11-2016, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Yall got some good lookin dogs! I feel better about it now i just didnt know where a good weight range is for him.

Comment

My 6yr old 65# (when in hunting condition) neutered male eats 2 cups in the morning and 2 cups in the evening of Purina pro plan or sensitive stomachs. I scale back to 1 5 cups if activity level is low. I try to keep him where his ribs are hardly visible but easily felt. I haven't seen his spine since he was a pup. His back is solid muscle.

Comment

Originally posted by j944 View Post
                      Seven?! How do you keep your sanity?

OP, I have a female just under three and she is 48#s. We feed two cups twice a day. She runs everyday about two hours a day and still stays lean. She did put weight on at closer to her second year.

Good luck
                      Its really not that bad just wish I had a better set-up and enough land to run them on. Luckily I have a great friend whos helped me out a lot. Now he has over 30 and I definitely dont want his feed bill!

Comment

German shorthair pointer question

I feed Diamond Natural Extreme Athlete to my pups. I have a 9 month old GSP, she has always been massive, lol much larger than her siblings. She is right at 55 lbs right now but I wouldn't call her chunky at all.

So she had the diarrhea in her kennel thing for while. I did the slow switch in the food, took her to the vet, did the stool sample thing. Finally figured out it was the Dental treat bones I was giving them to clean their teeth. My Boykin has never had an issue with them, they are the milkbone hard Dental chews.
                        Last edited by rferg84; 11-12-2016, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by j944 View Post
                          IMG]http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q191/jk944/Orbea%2011.27.2015%20037_zpslc6ppqlr.jpg[/IMG]
                          Is your dog in MMA?

(I hate it when the photo doesn't copy. User error I guess.)

Comment

I want one of these!

Comment

Originally posted by STex View Post
                              I want one of these!
                              me too hell I want 3 or 4

Comment

I was having trouble with mine the same thing and switched to 4 health from tsp she's doing good now and I feed her a green bean can 2x per day can still see ribs but back bone is not near as visible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X