I want to build a log splitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to build a log splitter

I've been wanting to do this for some time because splitting old dried out live oak with a sledge is rough. Ive got a motor from a riding lawn motor I would like to use but I am unsure since it has a vertical shaft. Is it possible for me to build one with this engine without spending as much as I would for a new one?

Interested in hearing the answer also. However, did you try an online search first? I bet someone has actual plans available on the Web.

Comment

All the new ones at Tractor Supply use a vertical shaft engine. Im thinking the same thing for a few projects in the future. I have an I beam and an engine. Now looking for the rest of the components.

Check out surplus supply. Good prices.

Comment

Sorry, make that surplus center

Comment

There are a couple of log splitters in this thread:

Northern Tool has everything you need other than iron.

Comment

Thought it would be nice to group our pics togeather here,to give others ideas.Ienjoy looking at the different designs. HERES MINE; This old girl has been a work in progress for 15 years.Im always changing something:Dguess i like to fabricate.Most recent was the direct mounting of the pump to...

I'd start looking around on this site. There are a lot of builds there.

Comment

had a buddy build one a few years back. by the time he finished, he could have bought a new one cheaper than the one he built.

Comment

Working...
              X