No announcement yet.

C-Purlin & Patio question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you get closer pics of how you connected the purlin to the building?
    Thanks

Comment

I'll try this evening if we get home before it gets dark. On the R-panel on the left, we calculated the drop then screwed from the outside in. Then every 1' (every rib) we put 2 screws from the inside out. All of the dark round splotches is galvanized spray so you can estimate the amount of screws used. I also plan to put a bolt through the C-channel to 4 upright beams inside the garage for peace of mind. On the home, we dropped it down 1-1/2" or so for the tin ledge and ran self-drilling screws every 12"-18" inches. The backing up there was was a pretty solid eve strut. The home is all-metal construction as well. All of the screws were heavy duty, not your standard self-drilling screws.

Comment

All you've got holding that thing up on the left side is self tappers thru tin?

Comment

By looking at his pics I'm pretty sure they are screwed into reinforcement on the back side of the tin. Probably the brace that ties the top of his post together.

Comment

Where your purlanes sit on the top of the columns, I would use some flat strap and bridge across the open of the purlane. so that it doesn't start closing up over time.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazzy View Post
              Can you get closer pics of how you connected the purlin to the building?
              Thanks
              X2

Interested in what you've got going on over there.

Comment

They are self-tapping screws from the inside of the tin screwed into the open C. We also have four or eight 1/2" or 5/8" bolts we are going to bolt through main support beams on the inside through the open C. You would be surprised how strong this is without the bolts. We had something else similar to that through some storms without any problems. Worst case we could put 2 columns against that wall for down weight, but it's not going anywhere. Both of these are engineered buildings, the home is engineered for 130 mph winds and garage is engineered for 100 mph winds.; not engineered by me, but my wife and I constructed both of these ourselves so you could probably cut that engineering in half. lol

Comment

How much pitch do you have? There was 12" snow in your area about 7-8 years ago. What is that about 20K pounds. How much can those 2 8" purlins carry over the 4" that they rest on the post. At the very least, I would box the purlin in that area.

Comment

Originally posted by STICKIT View Post
                    How much pitch do you have? There was 12" snow in your area about 7-8 years ago. What is that about 20K pounds. How much can those 2 8" purlins carry over the 4" that they rest on the post. At the very least, I would box the purlin in that area.
                    This.

If it was mine, no way could I rely on screws to hold my load. I would tie it in hard & fast to the main columns of your garage, or stand some more posts up. .

When you put those bolts in, and start tightening them down, I see it buckling the tin. (If im understanding you correctly).....

Im sorry for hating on your design. I know you've put allot of hard work into it. I just get that uneasy feeling in my gut about the garage connection. It might be fine for several years, but I dont see it as having a long lifespan.....maybe it's just me. Other than that, it looks clean, and well built.

Comment

Compacted snow is estimated at 12.5 lbs / sq. ft. It would be 9000# at most, but I have never seen 12" of compacted snow. The snow we had was more fluff and probably would be less than 5 lbs / sq. ft. at 3750#. There is an 8" fall. The purlins on the columns are doubled now which was my original plans. There are 100's in this area where dual purlins are carrying weight that have withstood 70+mph winds and the same snow. We had something similar to this on a different project during the snow you mention and nothing happened. Three different builders and/or steel providers have seen these plans and didn't see any problems with it. Carports that Mueller's sell are actually designed the same way with the columns. I think people are under-estimating the strength of metal, but I have considered 2 small columns along that wall.

Comment

Working...
                      X