Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2020, 12:10 PM   #1
Stick1
Ten Point
 
Stick1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lone Star State
Hunt In: Hardeman
Default New action from Defiance

In keeping with the theme of sharing all of the cool stuff with you guys first, I'm posting this

A bunch of you probably knew this was coming, but some might not have. Defiance announced a new light weight action earlier in the year. The thing that really made this interesting news is the fact that they said they were sticking to stainless instead of titanium. Not exactly the normal path most other makers are following. They were kind enough to send us what may be the first sample of this thing in the wild......and we're all extremely impressed. Our sample weighs in at 20 ounces all in(action, bolt, rail).

That's pretty impressive for a stainless action! They were extremely creative in where they chose to remove the weight. Most areas are well hidden and far enough from critical areas as to maintain strength and rigidity where it is needed. Maybe the coolest feature of all is that by avoiding Ti construction, they were able to avoid Ti pricing! This thing will retail around $1,000. Pretty awesome for a true light weight action with Defiance level fit and tolerances. We'll be launching a whole new line on it in the next few days that will look real familiar to many of you





Stick1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2020, 12:46 PM   #2
Bowtech38
Pope & Young
 
Bowtech38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Belton
Default

Looks pretty cool
Bowtech38 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2020, 12:54 PM   #3
ahlongslide
Eight Point
 
ahlongslide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: NW of Houston
Hunt In: Anywhere I can.
Default

Nice!
ahlongslide is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2020, 01:03 PM   #4
1longshot
Six Point
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Default

Oh my!!! Gonna have to find a void in my other calibers for one of these actions.
1longshot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2020, 01:17 PM   #5
Daddy D
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Liberty Hill
Hunt In: Texas & Oklahoma
Default

Very cool. Making it hard not to pick up the phone and build a new rifle.
Daddy D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2020, 04:09 PM   #6
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor
 
Cajun Blake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: SW Louisiana
Hunt In: public & pvt land
Default

Looks like a modified and scalloped Rebel with the sheep port (weight 24 ozs.). I can see 6 places where weight/metal was removed from the action to come in at under 21 ozs. - very impressive build Robert.


Glenn definitely knows what he's doing and been around a long time. I own 2 of his Nesika Bay actions (Poulsboro, WA) and they are first class, precision benchrest quality. From his fiasco with Dakota, to Phoenix Machine, to Defiance, I support that dude 100%
Cajun Blake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2020, 04:30 PM   #7
Black Ice
Pope & Young
 
Black Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baton Rouge
Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick1 View Post
In keeping with the theme of sharing all of the cool stuff with you guys first, I'm posting this

A bunch of you probably knew this was coming, but some might not have. Defiance announced a new light weight action earlier in the year. The thing that really made this interesting news is the fact that they said they were sticking to stainless instead of titanium. Not exactly the normal path most other makers are following. They were kind enough to send us what may be the first sample of this thing in the wild......and we're all extremely impressed. Our sample weighs in at 20 ounces all in(action, bolt, rail).

That's pretty impressive for a stainless action! They were extremely creative in where they chose to remove the weight. Most areas are well hidden and far enough from critical areas as to maintain strength and rigidity where it is needed. Maybe the coolest feature of all is that by avoiding Ti construction, they were able to avoid Ti pricing! This thing will retail around $1,000. Pretty awesome for a true light weight action with Defiance level fit and tolerances. We'll be launching a whole new line on it in the next few days that will look real familiar to many of you






2021 build?

Too soon?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2020, 04:32 PM   #8
Artos
Pope & Young
 
Artos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Deep South TX
Hunt In: Deep South TX
Default

Like the nifty name...
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2020, 04:35 PM   #9
Stick1
Ten Point
 
Stick1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lone Star State
Hunt In: Hardeman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Blake View Post
Looks like a modified and scalloped Rebel with the sheep port (weight 24 ozs.). I can see 6 places where weight/metal was removed from the action to come in at under 21 ozs. - very impressive build Robert.


Glenn definitely knows what he's doing and been around a long time. I own 2 of his Nesika Bay actions (Poulsboro, WA) and they are first class, precision benchrest quality. From his fiasco with Dakota, to Phoenix Machine, to Defiance, I support that dude 100%

The stuff you don't see immediately is what I find the most interesting. Didn't get a pic of the integral lug, but it is skeletonized. Did get some bolt pics, though Completely redesigned fire control, hollow knob and handle and some material removed from the handle strap. It's easy enough to take some weight off the action body, but I sure didn't expect the level of effort they put into the bolt. I'm impressed! They get extra points for the clever name, too.

Stick1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2020, 04:39 PM   #10
150class
Pope & Young
 
150class's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The Woodlands
Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne
Default

Robert- I hemmed and hawed about this years build just to bail like a loser....

That being said when will these puppies be hitting the shelves? I am thinking I need to make up for my flaking from this years build. I can see next years group build going heavy...
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2020, 05:14 PM   #11
Stick1
Ten Point
 
Stick1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lone Star State
Hunt In: Hardeman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150class View Post
Robert- I hemmed and hawed about this years build just to bail like a loser....

That being said when will these puppies be hitting the shelves? I am thinking I need to make up for my flaking from this years build. I can see next years group build going heavy...

Looking like late June/early July. We have a pretty good initial order in place. Given the positive feedback we got from last year's TBH build, and all of the other Proof/AG Alpine Hunter builds we've done since then, this action just seems like a natural fit for that platform. So that's the direction we took with this sample. 6lbs 8oz and balanced well enough it feels like 5. I think this one is going to become a regular part of the lineup!

Stick1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2020, 05:17 PM   #12
Stick1
Ten Point
 
Stick1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lone Star State
Hunt In: Hardeman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ice View Post
2021 build?

Too soon?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Who can know? It's one more thing to vote on
Stick1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2020, 06:20 PM   #13
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor
 
Cajun Blake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: SW Louisiana
Hunt In: public & pvt land
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick1 View Post
The stuff you don't see immediately is what I find the most interesting. Didn't get a pic of the integral lug, but it is skeletonized. Did get some bolt pics, though Completely
1. L side rear of action
2. R side rear of action
3. Deeper/wider bolt body flutes
4. Skeletonized recoil lug*
5. Hollowed bolt knob*
6. Metal relieved from where trigger is installed*

and the bolt shroud appears to have been slightly modified

* based on action pictures observed on web sight

Is the firing pin body fluted like a Gre’Tan firing pin ?

Is the firing pin hole .062” ?

This new Defiance action is a game changer and will rival Melvin Forbes ULA20 action


Last edited by Cajun Blake; 05-28-2020 at 06:25 PM.
Cajun Blake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2020, 06:27 PM   #14
Slick8
Pope & Young
 
Slick8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, Texas
Hunt In: In the woods
Default

I'm been wanting one of these so bad I can't stand it since introduced at SHOT.

If I have a job next year we'll be talking.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Slick8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2020, 10:07 PM   #15
bphillips
Pope & Young
 
bphillips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Angelo, Tx
Hunt In: Mexico, Tom Green Co.
Default

This baby with a new Bartlein #4 B Sporter carbon barrel for next years build please? Thank you haha
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2020, 10:10 PM   #16
bmac
Ten Point
 
bmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Weatherford
Hunt In: Robertson Co. & TPWD
Default

That would have been sweet on this years build. Guess Iíll have to get another one.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bmac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2020, 05:38 PM   #17
jeffpg
Ten Point
 
jeffpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mississippi & Texas
Hunt In: All of USA & Africa
Default

This is way cool, and exactly the kind of advances in the firearms industry that I Love to see!

I don't pretend to have a crystal ball, but I can forsee next year's TBH APR group build as being iconic!

and I was determined to start saving more money...
jeffpg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2020, 11:44 AM   #18
duckhunter175
Six Point
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Dallas
Default

welp-- my order is placed!! Have the stock and barrel... been hemming and hawwing on an action but this settles it!
duckhunter175 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2020, 10:20 PM   #19
aggieman08
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
This baby with a new Bartlein #4 B Sporter carbon barrel for next years build please? Thank you haha
X2 with the McMillian carbon stock offered this year.....please 😃
aggieman08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2020, 02:21 PM   #20
duckhunter175
Six Point
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Dallas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
This baby with a new Bartlein #4 B Sporter carbon barrel for next years build please? Thank you haha
Love this idea too!!

which probably means another dozen or two folks will swing the vote to something else and then not end up buyin nothing....
duckhunter175 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2020, 06:07 PM   #21
brrdnk
Pope & Young
 
brrdnk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Weatherford
Hunt In: Coleman,TX,Thurber & The "H" Some Years
Default

I got to handle this gun today when I stopped by there to pick up my build gun. OMG this thing is sweet. I really like it and plan to have one built on this action. Thinking a 7mm-08 with a McWoody stock.
brrdnk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com