Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 05-04-2020, 09:50 AM   #1
wytex
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming , Texas, Colorado, Nebraska
Default Wyoming deadline

June 1 is last day to apply for deer and antelope . Some quotas reduced for pronghorn but plenty of great public land hunting to be had.
If you have a few PP it's always fun to hunt pronghorn, so p areas can be good hunting as well.
Some decent region tags for deer to be had with 0 PP for nr.
Doe tags are reduced price and random draw so lots of opportunities to put some meat in the freezer and not break the bank. Fishing and some bird hunting to also to enjoy on your trip.
wytex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2020, 12:45 PM   #2
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

Thanks for the heads up. I have a couple antelope points but deer hasn't been on my radar. Looks like both of my sons want to pickup a General Elk tag and I'm gonna go up and play pack mule and clueless guide but it'll be awesome and I'm looking forward to it.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2020, 01:19 PM   #3
Jon B
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Tx and the Western States

32Drawlength.....we have to get together to make a plan!
Jon B is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2020, 01:24 PM   #4
wytex
Ten Point

You're going to get to see the beauty of that general elk tag, lots of great spots to hunt. You'll be able to move around and find elk.
Old 05-04-2020, 01:32 PM   #5
Falling
Six Point

what is the deadline for buying more PP? The plan right now for our group is to get one more year PP in Deer/Antelope / Elk this year mostly due to the virus, and enter lotteries the following year with each member having 2 (so 3 total)

thanks for the help and information! you're a rockstar wytex!
Falling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2020, 01:38 PM   #6
Spoiled_TN_boy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public Land

If one of us newbies wanted to chase mulies and have a good chance at harvest, what area and region would you point us to?
Spoiled_TN_boy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2020, 01:44 PM   #7
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

Thanks for the reminder. I need to get my apps in as I’m banking on an antelope and a deer tag in WY this year as long as the odds trends don’t change for some crazy reason.
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2020, 01:55 PM   #8
diamond10x
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
If one of us newbies wanted to chase mulies and have a good chance at harvest, what area and region would you point us to?
Youd probably want to look at regions/units on the eastern side of the state. This could depend on what you want out of the hunt as well whether mountains or more plains type hunt, private land or public, DIY or outfitted.
Old 05-04-2020, 01:58 PM   #9
justletmein
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytex View Post
You're going to get to see the beauty of that general elk tag, lots of great spots to hunt. You'll be able to move around and find elk.
I'll have a measly 2 PP next year, hoping to get lucky with my own NR general tag to hunt with them. I'm tickled pink to just go explore though, don't need to shoot anything myself. I think I'll go antelope blasting this year though, it's been a few years for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falling View Post
what is the deadline for buying more PP? The plan right now for our group is to get one more year PP in Deer/Antelope / Elk this year mostly due to the virus, and enter lotteries the following year with each member having 2 (so 3 total)
They sell them separately later on, pretty big window.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:27 PM   #10
wytex
Ten Point

July is when you can buy PP.
Hop on over to the drawing odds page onG&F website.
Like stated most of the 0 PP regions will be on east side or central part of the state. Good bucks can be found in any region.
Doe tags for deer and pronghorn are cheap and a random draw. Good way to learn an area and get some meat. Doe hunts are usually very laid back and easy tags to fill, good trip for some fishing and bird hunting too.

We get our moose drawing results this week,spouse has a chance at a tag and I have only random tag Hope's. My bighorn sheep last fall was my OIL sheep tag as far as I'm concerned.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:51 PM   #11
32drawlength
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Palo Pinto County, Mexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B View Post
32Drawlength.....we have to get together to make a plan!

Yes sir, time to move forward

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
32drawlength is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2020, 08:54 AM   #12
wytex
Ten Point

Saw some interesting results on the NR side of our draw for moose and sheep. Less than max to draw some great areas, you all with lower PP may have better odds this year.
WG&F has come out stating they plan to have full hunting seasons this fall.
Good luck with your apps.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:12 AM   #13
justletmein
Pope & Young

I thought this virus thing might lower point requirements. Unfortunately the deadline for NR Elk has passed and I didn't apply.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:21 AM   #14
SwampRanger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Batson

Quote:
June 1 is last day to apply for deer and antelope . Some quotas reduced for pronghorn but plenty of great public land hunting to be had.
If you have a few PP it's always fun to hunt pronghorn, so p areas can be good hunting as well.
Some decent region tags for deer to be had with 0 PP for nr.
Doe tags are reduced price and random draw so lots of opportunities to put some meat in the freezer and not break the bank. Fishing and some bird hunting to also to enjoy on your trip.
Ill have 6 PP after this year for deer and lopes. My hunting Pard has 8 each. We are getting close.
SwampRanger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2020, 09:22 PM   #15
icon6669
Spike

Hunt In: LBJ

I applied for NR general elk tag this year, we'll see if it comes through with a couple of points.
icon6669 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2020, 02:27 PM   #16
jnd1959
Eight Point

I'm still debating what to do. With 10 points I may swing for the fences in case less than max points prevail. I'm probably three points behind what I need in the top units but who knows?
jnd1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2020, 10:29 AM   #17
wytex
Ten Point

Finalizing our apps this weekend.
We'll be in for :
LQ elk tag, ok odds to draw
buck antelope with good draw odds, 100% last few years
doe antelope
whitetail tag, type 3
cow elk , 100% , we have private access in an area that always has hundreds of tags left over
doe deer, private access

After the draw we can buy OTC another cow elk tag and a general deer to go with our Type 3 whitetail tag.
If we don't draw LQ elk we will get a general license for bulls, we have some private access for that as well.

We should have 6-7 tags to fill this fall, each.

Good luck folks.
Old 05-16-2020, 12:33 PM   #18
justletmein
Pope & Young

Holy smokes, you're gonna be busy!
Old 05-16-2020, 12:37 PM   #19
HuntorFish
Spike

Sounds like the making of a great fall to me. I have put in for the first time this year for antelope. Hoping to learn a little (it will be my first antelope hunt) then buy some points to be able to draw a better public access area in the future. Also probably look at elk and mule deer in the future too. Super excited and hope to draw.
HuntorFish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2020, 12:48 PM   #20
bloodstick
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas

My first year going to Wyoming is this September. Going to 7J in Sundance for Deer.

They handled our licensing, we just paid them and its 99% of the time a lock to get the tags (according to the outfitter).

Can we purchase OTC doe tags or is that area a draw only for doe? I would like to go home with 2+ deer if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bloodstick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2020, 02:11 PM   #21
wytex
Ten Point

I believe most of the areas they hunt at 7J have boat loads of doe tags for private land. I would certainly ask them about that possibility, gaining private access is tough up there for NR so they would be the way to go.
You'll want to shoot a whitetail doe for the best meat, mulies on alfalfa are great but still not a whitetail.
Old 05-16-2020, 02:21 PM   #22
wytex
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
Holy smokes, you're gonna be busy!
We'll probably fill 2 elk tags, 2 deer unless we get the Type 3 tags then 3-4 deer and 2-3 antelope tags.
The doe deer tags are mostly in case we see a whitetail doe or a big barren muley .

Antelope are usually a day trip over the mountain, or maybe 2 days at most, we just look for mature bucks and don't trophy hunt unless things look good for that.
Deer will be last week in Oct and into Nov for whitetails.
Elk is where we'll spend some time, most of Sept archery hunting then on to cows on private for rifle. We do have limited rifle elk access as well if we don't draw LQ.

We have 3 freezers to fill.

You all don't forget about the leftover list and draw that happens in summer. It's a random draw for all, residents and NR in one draw for all tags leftover.
Old 05-16-2020, 02:32 PM   #23
justletmein
Pope & Young

Quote:
We'll probably fill 2 elk tags, 2 deer unless we get the Type 3 tags then 3-4 deer and 2-3 antelope tags.
The doe deer tags are mostly in case we see a whitetail doe or a big barren muley .

Antelope are usually a day trip over the mountain, or maybe 2 days at most, we just look for mature bucks and don't trophy hunt unless things look good for that.
Deer will be last week in Oct and into Nov for whitetails.
Elk is where we'll spend some time, most of Sept archery hunting then on to cows on private for rifle. We do have limited rifle elk access as well if we don't draw LQ.

We have 3 freezers to fill.

You all don't forget about the leftover list and draw that happens in summer. It's a random draw for all, residents and NR in one draw for all tags leftover.
Oh I was thinking busy processing and eating. We ended up with 5 Texas whitetail this year and been burning through it at record pace with the staying at home stuff, it's forced us to get creative and I'm loving it. We've discovered some new favorite dishes. At this pace we're likely running out around September so it's a good gauge and I'm gonna have to limit my harvests if we happen to get an Elk this year.

I'll need to educate myself on the Wyoming leftover system and pick out some good tags and areas to try for, would love to do that and develop a consistent process and break away from Colorado for good. I'll likely end up with an Antelope tag in the draw and my two boys up there will probably both do the same. One of them is planning to pickup a general Elk tag so I'll go hunt with him whether I have a tag or not just to help out. Wife and I will both draw Elk but in Colorado, one bull and one cow. We hunt 2 hours from Cheyenne so I can visit the boys before and after hunting. Definitely not the best units but we can consistently draw them and they're close. I think we can do much better on Elk in Wyoming and I'll buy another point this year. There's two youth deer hunts down here I plan to hit with my youngest and I'll get a couple Amistad trips in for myself. I think it'll be a busy year for me this year no doubt, need to save up vacation and funds to go full bore.

Last edited by justletmein; 05-16-2020 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:28 PM   #24
jnd1959
Eight Point

Sounds like y'all have a busy fall. I decided to average my lope points with my youngest and put in for the unit we failed to draw last year. If we have time left we may stumble around and see if we can locate a "bar". I like to hunt lopes late. It's less busy, but I don't want to be so late the bears have denned up. We may run up and hunt bear late September and go back for lopes in mid October.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:52 PM   #25
Jon B
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Tx and the Western States

My crew is in for speed goats!
Jon B is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2020, 09:05 AM   #26
wytex
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnd1959 View Post
Sounds like y'all have a busy fall. I decided to average my lope points with my youngest and put in for the unit we failed to draw last year. If we have time left we may stumble around and see if we can locate a "bar". I like to hunt lopes late. It's less busy, but I don't want to be so late the bears have denned up. We may run up and hunt bear late September and go back for lopes in mid October.
We see bear sign and bears in spots we elk hunt just about every year, the Snowies actually have a decent population. I might be able to point you to the area we see them if we don't end up in there ourselves this Sept.
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2020, 05:09 PM   #27
jnd1959
Eight Point

pm sent
Old 05-19-2020, 09:17 PM   #28
wytex
Ten Point

Last of our apps are in. Have to say, seems like a bunch of cash spent on tags but the 9 tags we applied for together totaled just over what one deer or pronghorn tag costs you all. Residency has it's benefits for sure.

Good luck in the draws!
Old 05-21-2020, 09:07 AM   #29
wytex
Ten Point

T- 2 hours for elk draw results. Anybody getting antsy ?
Old 05-21-2020, 12:25 PM   #30
icon6669
Spike

I'll be ****ed, I actually drew that general tag. Numbers must be way off from last year with all the financial turmoil.
Time to start planning in earnest and i have a scouting trip come 4th of July week.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:07 PM   #31
justletmein
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by icon6669 View Post
I'll be ****ed, I actually drew that general tag. Numbers must be way off from last year with all the financial turmoil.
Time to start planning in earnest and i have a scouting trip come 4th of July week.
Nice, congrats. Now I wish I would have applied.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:29 PM   #32
wytex
Ten Point

You're going to love Wyoming mountains in July. Bring a jacket.
Not sure when they will start taking reservations but there are some FS cabins for rent in some pretty spots.
Good time to enjoy small town festivities for the 4th as well.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:59 PM   #33
Bear82
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kaufman where there is no deer

Any area recommendations for antelope with 7pp. Didn't get my elk tag. Might just take my sister mule deer hunting south of Casper. Want a bear tag after seeing one last deer season. Or i might just get a whitetail tag and come up during Thanksgiving. I'm not sure if I want to pay full price for a cow elk in that area.
Bear82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 03:37 PM   #34
icon6669
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
Nice, congrats. Now I wish I would have applied.
Turns out the draw odds were slightly lower actually, i just lucked out.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:47 AM   #35
wytex
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear82 View Post
Any area recommendations for antelope with 7pp. Didn't get my elk tag. Might just take my sister mule deer hunting south of Casper. Want a bear tag after seeing one last deer season. Or i might just get a whitetail tag and come up during Thanksgiving. I'm not sure if I want to pay full price for a cow elk in that area.
With 7 PP you have good options. I would look at areas 52, 48, 63, 65 and 66.
Mule deer south of Casper would be best hunted last week in Oct.
Might be a few cow tags in the leftover draw.
Old 05-23-2020, 03:13 PM   #36
wild_bill_kodi
Spike

I’ll just be buying points for a while
wild_bill_kodi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2020, 11:47 AM   #37
wytex
Ten Point

Results are out, anyone coming up for deer or antelope ?
Old 06-18-2020, 12:02 PM   #38
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Quote:
I've just been picking up points the last few years. Have you hunted Medicine Bow NF for deer or elk? Is it worth burning the points (2-3) next year for any of those units (Units 9, 10, 11, 12 or 110)?

I lived in Laramie one summer and was up there a lot. Never recalled seeing elk or deer. But I wasn't looking for them either.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2020, 12:55 PM   #39
skipetex
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cass and Bowie

Well I just checked and it says unsuccessful. Dang. Hopi g to check again this evening with better news. Maybe I will get a surprise. Is there a leftover drawing later or anything.
skipetex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2020, 01:05 PM   #40
justletmein
Pope & Young

Quote:
I'll just be buying points this year, but at least one of my son's drew Antelope, waiting to hear from the other one but presume he's drawn. I'll be up there terrorizing Wyoming with my Texas plates for about 6 weeks helping them out with Antelope hunts and trying to scout some General Elk areas.
Old 06-18-2020, 02:44 PM   #41
jomw10
Four Point

Quote:
I draw an antelope tag for area 21. My son got an antelope doe tag for same area and a Deer tag for Region Y.
jomw10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2020, 08:52 PM   #42
HuntorFish
Spike

Ended up with a buck and two doe antelope tags for Unit 26. Will be my first trip up there.
HuntorFish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2020, 08:58 PM   #43
jason86
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney county

Unit 9 antelope for me and my group!
jason86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2020, 08:51 AM   #44
TXBadger
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomw10 View Post
I draw an antelope tag for area 21. My son got an antelope doe tag for same area and a Deer tag for Region Y.
I drew an antelope tag for unit 21, too.
TXBadger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2020, 09:49 AM   #45
camoclad
Eight Point

Hunt In: central tx

Quote:
Friends are going...

Do you hunt antelope? How would you do it via walk in areas? Blue and yellow sections are good to go to?
camoclad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2020, 10:30 AM   #46
diamond10x
Ten Point

Drew my second choice antelope and MD tags. Happy to be hunting there and keeping my points. Looking forward to Oct 1, Can’t get here any sooner!
Old 06-19-2020, 10:55 AM   #47
txhunter806
Six Point

Hunt In: over yonder

I drew a region j deer tag. Will be my first time there so if anyone wants to offer up any advice I’m all ears!
txhunter806 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2020, 11:18 AM   #48
Bear82
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kaufman where there is no deer

Region D deer successful. Last year 80 people applied for 160 antelope doe tags in an area. This year 1250 people applied for 100. That really messed up my doe tag chances.
Bear82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2020, 03:53 PM   #49
wytex
Ten Point

The HMA info will be out in July for those areas and some take a drawing to get the public access. Check on those right away.
Walk in areas and any BLM that has public access via a public road are good to go. Lots of folks take antelope off of walk in areas and HMAs. The state lands are also open , some may have restrictions of they are farmed or have had damage. No camping on state lands, ones that allow it will be posted with signs.
Old 06-19-2020, 04:16 PM   #50
wytex
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
I've just been picking up points the last few years. Have you hunted Medicine Bow NF for deer or elk? Is it worth burning the points (2-3) next year for any of those units (Units 9, 10, 11, 12 or 110)?

I lived in Laramie one summer and was up there a lot. Never recalled seeing elk or deer. But I wasn't looking for them either.
Lots of elk up there. We hunt it every year for archery season. Lots of roads but you can use the closed off ones for good walk in access.
Deer can be hit or miss, some good ones but they are harder to find. Numbers are good though throughout the forest for both.