Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening.
Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Arizona Elk Unit 23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arizona Elk Unit 23

So I somehow got lucky and got drawn for elk in Arizona this year. I drew late rifle unit 23. I have never hunted Arizona and was just wondering if any of y'all had hunted that unit before. I'm not looking for anyone's secret spot but for info on what kind of elevation do I start looking for elk that time of year, can I camp anywhere, weather, etc. Thanks in advance

Congrats, you've got a great tag. You will have to work at it, but I would expect about 50-60% success on the late bull hunt. They used to average around 100 bulls when there were 200 tags, now I think you will have less pressure and a better chance of killing a good 320+ bull. We hunt about 100 miles from there in a different unit, but it will be the same process. Get where you can glass a lot of country. Find the bulls and make a run on them. They will split off from the cows and spikes and tend to go into canyons and thicker brush than you would expect. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Blank View Post
      Congrats, you've got a great tag. You will have to work at it, but I would expect about 50-60% success on the late bull hunt. They used to average around 100 bulls when there were 200 tags, now I think you will have less pressure and a better chance of killing a good 320+ bull. We hunt about 100 miles from there in a different unit, but it will be the same process. Get where you can glass a lot of country. Find the bulls and make a run on them. They will split off from the cows and spikes and tend to go into canyons and thicker brush than you would expect. Good luck.
      Thanks for the reply!

Comment

How many points did you draw with?

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
          How many points did you draw with?
          Zero! Was really just trying to accumulate points and a buddy told me put in for 23, that I had a snowball’s chance in hell to get drawn. Know nothing about Arizona really, had planned on going otc deer in Dec/Jan and learning the units before I got drawn for elk.

Comment

Congrats! That should be a memorable hunt. We hunt further south in Jan so no help with the unit, but, if it's like other areas bulls will be mostly solitary and in the thickest carp you can find. Basically, if I've said in the past, man, I'd hate to haul a bull out of that mess, that's where they'd be. Good luck!

Comment

I’ve hunted that unit and it can be good. Your dates are in December, correct?

Comment

If you want or need any information about the area feel free to PM me, my buddy is always out there hiking areas 22 & 23.

Comment

I’ve just started looking at units 9 & 10, theses are TOUGH units to draw.

Comment

Originally posted by Homer75 View Post
                    I’ve hunted that unit and it can be good. Your dates are in December, correct?
                    Nov 27th- Dec3rd. I’ll send ya a pm w/ a few questions. Thanks!

Comment

Times getting close and I have yet to be able to actually get out to scout, any last minute pointers?

Comment

Should be a good hunt, great unit! Got to hunt a few years ago with my son on a youth cow tag. Saw a lot of good bulls but that was early October so not much help for a December herd. Hope you find a good one though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

They will tuck themselves into some real hell holes that time of year is about all I got for ya. As long as you've done some good e-scouting, have several plans to work, and gotten yourself familiar with a map you should have pretty good odds of filling a tag.

Comment

Directions to 2006 Elk Hunt in U23 – North of Young, AZ

• Get to Payson – To get to Payson from Tucson, take Oracle Road north to Oracle Junction. At Oracle Jct. take left fork (Hwy 79 towards Florence). Take Hwy 79 through Florence and continue north to Florence Jct where you will hit Hwy 60 (The road from Phoenix to Globe) – go left (west) on Hwy 60 to Ellsworth Road in Apache Jct. At Ellsworth Road exit Hwy 60 and go right (north on Ellsworth). Follow Ellsworth which will turn into Usery Pass road (they are the same road) until you get to the Bush Hwy (this will be a 4-way stop right across from the salt river tubing parking lot). At the 4-way stop turn right (east) onto the Bush Hwy. Stay on the Bush Hwy until you get to Hwy 87. At Hwy 87 turn right (northeast) toward Payson. Stay on Hwy 87 until you get into Payson.

• At Payson turn right (east) on Hwy 260 towards Heber, Showlow, etc.

• Take Hwy 260 east 30 some miles past Christopher Creek and up to the top of the Mogollon Rim. At the top of the rim is the turnoff on the left to Woods Canyon Lake (this is where we turn to go to our other elk hunting trips). Continue past the Woods Canyon Lake turnoff until you see a sign to Young on the right (this is just a couple of miles past the Woods Canyon Lake turnoff).

• Take a right (south) on the Young Road AKA Forest Road 512 – if you are on Hwy 260 and hit the town of Forest Lakes you went too far. Take the Young road south 8-9 miles until you see the 109 road on your left (you will pass the 188 road on the left to Canyon Creek/Valentine Canyon; past the 411 road on your right; past the 128 road on your right).

• Go left (east) at the 109 road – if you miss the 109 and hit the road to Red Lake you went too far. Take the 109 road 0.5-1.0 miles and we will be camped on the right (east) side of the road. See you all there!!!

Comment

Avatar picture is from that unit

Comment

Working...
                              X