Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood?

building a new stick burner

im surrounded by oak and mesquite what's yalls preference on smoking/cooking with??? and why

oak and pecan most of the time.

Comment

I'm a pecan guy for smoking, mesquite for grilling.

Comment

I used nothing but Mesquite for years and scoffed at other wood, then I moved where I have Oak and some Hickory, the Oak sure burns longer and hotter which is real nice for some things but smoking longer times I like Mesquite, have a pile of it for this reason.
        So....Both.

Comment

ya my wood rack is running low I think ill just stock up on both mesquite and oak

anyone mix mesquite and oak when smoking? oak for the heat and mesquite for the flavor?

Comment

My preference is Oak. Mesquite is fine to mix in some with the oak, but mesquite by itself is too strong of a flavor in my opinion. Make sure it’s seasoned (dried), especially the mesquite.

Comment

I agree with all things said above. Mesquite only is too strong of a flavor and needs to be mixed with some other type of wood.

Comment

Originally posted by duckboy007 View Post
                I'm a pecan guy for smoking, mesquite for grilling.
                This. Oak, Pecan, and Hickory for smoking. Mesquite for grilling. Now if you burn the mesquite down to coals and shovel the coals for some barbecue, that can be some good eats. But don't smoke with mesquite unless it has been burned to coals. It will impart a bitter, tannic flavor to the meat.

Comment

I prefer hickory, it splits so much easier. My friend cut down a big Bradford pear yesterday, I'm gonna go this weekend and cut it up and give it a shot.

Comment

Another vote for hickory [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

good info here guys... while im building the smoker I might build a ring or pit to shovel coals from

Comment

I use oak because it is free. Mesquite sometimes.

Comment

I was watching a bbq competition on what I believe was the food network. The winner was from Texas and an older man by the name of Jim Trigger. He used mostly post oak. He is known as the king of ribs, supposedly.

I have cut my share of Post oak and didn't realize that it is preferred even over live oak. I always felt that live oak makes better coals,but apparently post oak is better for flavor. ????

What was amazing was how well he did cooking things he had never cooked before like pork belly and pork jowl.

Comment

Originally posted by wickll View Post
                            I was watching a bbq competition on what I believe was the food network. The winner was from Texas and an older man by the name of Jim Trigger. He used mostly post oak. I have cut my share of Post oak and didn't realize that it is preferred even over live oak. I always felt that live oak makes better coals,but apparently post oak is better for flavor. ????
                            Probably Johnny trigg?? He's a BBQ master lol

Comment

I’m in agreement with most above. Love mesquite for grilling. Steak, chicken and fish. Like hickory, pecan, oak in that order for low and slow smoking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X