Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > D-I-Y Projects

Old 06-25-2020, 07:05 AM   #1
TexasBob
Pope & Young

Default Lathe Projects

I have always liked the idea of wood turning, but always found something else to spend money on rather than a lathe. FIL had his grandfathers shop smith collecting dust in a corner and was glad to send it my way. Circa 1960, his grandfathers name and social security number is engraved in the top. I donít need the other tools, so it will stay configured as a lathe. Bought a nova chuck, appropriate adapter, and a new tail stock center.

First project was the tool itself. Years of surface rust, but some light sanding and all is well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2020, 07:08 AM   #2
TexasBob
Pope & Young

First lesson was wear a face shield and make sure the chuck is really tight. Wife learned how much head wounds bleed.

Iím really intrigued by wood and epoxy combos these days so trying my hand at making blanks. Bargain bin wood from rockler and total boat.

Old 06-25-2020, 08:35 AM   #3
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

I've been a machinist over 30 years and wood turning scares me lol.
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2020, 08:41 AM   #4
ctom87
Ten Point

Hunt In: Searching.

That is a beast of a lathe. Biggest recommendation I have for you is to make sure to get the bubbles out of your workpiece by either vacuum, or preferably, using a pressure pot.

I don't have one and whenever I try to turn my projects, the bubbles all shatter. Looks horrible, can't fix, and I got some hardened epoxy in the eye. Not fun.
ctom87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2020, 09:09 AM   #5
TexasBob
Pope & Young

I do need to set up a pressure pot. Hoping this works but it definitely may not.

I wasnít scared of it but taking a block to the head sure woke me up. Healthy respect now for sure.

Old 06-25-2020, 09:18 AM   #6
hog_down
Ten Point

nothing better than breathing life into an old machine, especially if it was your grandfathers.
hog_down is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2020, 10:07 AM   #7
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Davy Crockett National Forest

watching this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FLASH_OUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2020, 10:32 AM   #8
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My Truck at night.

Watching. My neighbor does a lot of turning. I keep saying I'm going to go set in his garage one evening and learn how.
Hoggslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2020, 10:39 AM   #9
ctom87
Ten Point

The coolest thing I ever did on a lathe was my first project. Bought a maple billet, turned a bat in about 2 hours, my first bat. It was crude. I didn't know how much to sand it, so it was very rough... Just did 80 grit it and to a beginner it felt smooth. Over all, it was HUGE. it was like 36 and a half inches long and 44 ounces... Just ridiculously big. You could not check swing because the bat carried to much momentum.

Anyway, I took it to my game that I had that afternoon. My first at bat went ball, swing and a miss, ball, grandslam. So much pride and joy to turn a bat that morning and 3 hours later the first time the bat I made with my bare hands ever touched leather, I knocked one out of the park. Cool memory.
Old 06-25-2020, 10:41 AM   #10
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graysonhogs View Post
I've been a machinist over 30 years and wood turning scares me lol.
All wood working equipment scares me.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2020, 11:47 AM   #11
TexasBob
Pope & Young

After 24 hours I cracked it open. Tuck tape worked great. I did have some leakage underneath Iíll use hot glue to seal from now on. I did have some bad voids on the underside. Iím trying to fill those and see if it works.

I knew this block was too big for what I had in mind so I cut it down some and decided to not waste the epoxy on the ends and the form setup.

Old 06-25-2020, 12:10 PM   #12
eaglegolfj
Ten Point

That is a cool old machine. Welcome to your new addiction.

Last edited by eaglegolfj; 06-25-2020 at 12:22 PM.
eaglegolfj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2020, 12:20 PM   #13
eaglegolfj
Ten Point

Not trying to hijack, but some of the things you will be doing.
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2020, 04:20 PM   #14
3ChordTruth
Six Point

Good for you TexasBob to get that old shopsmith making man glitter again. Lathes are like pure magic to me, and my high school shop teacher was a wizard on a lathe. With his help I made a huge salad bowl for my mom that was shaped like that bowl in eaglegolfj’s first pic (and very nice work on all those things you made eaglegolfj). Looking forward to seeing pics of this old shopsmith lathe work some magic again.
3ChordTruth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2020, 04:24 PM   #15
eaglegolfj
Ten Point

Thank you Sir, they are fun. That old machine is pretty neat. I would like to see some vids of it running.
Old 06-26-2020, 10:38 AM   #16
TexasBob
Pope & Young

Thanks for the comments and project inspiration.

Half the epoxy leaked out... I mixed up a different color to refill it. Lesson learned seal waaay better.

I keep scraps around so no epoxy gets wasted.

Old 06-27-2020, 07:35 PM   #17
John Paul
Ten Point

Hunt In: Blackhill, McCoy, Encinal

Wow. I bought a new lathe this last year and wow what a learning curve. Had two blow up on me and having a hard time with mesquite. I think I need to find someone to learn from.
John Paul is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2020, 07:08 AM   #18
eaglegolfj
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Paul View Post
Wow. I bought a new lathe this last year and wow what a learning curve. Had two blow up on me and having a hard time with mesquite. I think I need to find someone to learn from.
There is a lot of good stuff on youtube. I have had a few pieces that have come apart on me before as well. When I start a new piece. i get it as close to center as I can. Then stand to the side and run the speed up slowly and let it run for a bit on full speed until I feel comfortable enough that it is not going to come apart. Face shield is a must.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:46 PM   #19
SamHarper
Ten Point

That got cool quickly.
SamHarper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-02-2020, 09:42 AM   #20
TexasBob
Pope & Young

Tried one of my homemade blanks. Lots of tear out on the epoxy but even the wood wasn't smooth. Feels like my tools are dull- easy wood tools rotated to a fresh section. Perhaps i need new cutters for them.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:58 AM   #21
Bill
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montana

Iím putting in a 13x30íshop in our retirement home. A new lathe and my old Yamaha surround sound system are 2 things going in there.

Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 01:47 PM   #22
ctom87
Ten Point

Man had some cool looking wood I purchased, yellow with brown streaks. Unsure what tree it came from... Just looked cool as a blank. I thought it would turn out yellow once turned, and I had intentions of cutting it in half and making 2 pens that were lsu colors with a purple heart blank and maybe giving them away here.

Unfortunately, that was not the case. The yellowish blank turned into brown, and it looks like a t*rd sitting on top of a beautiful piece of purple heart. It has been relegated to the junk drawer.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk
Old Yesterday, 04:12 PM   #23
3ChordTruth
Six Point

Hey ctom87, that looks to me like you started with a piece of osage also called hedge apple, horse apple, bois d'arc, bodark, etc. Working or cutting that wood first results in a beautiful, golden color, and then over time the sun’s UV light will turn the wood to that brown color. The best self bows are made of osage, and they all start out yellow and turn that brown color. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. All of my osage self bows have turned that brown color, and all the osage bows made by Native Americans now in museums are that brown color. That’s just what osage does, and to me that brown is beautiful. You did a nice job on that pen, and cool idea to have LSU colors, sorry the yellow did not stay yellow. I like the two wood colors you ended up with anyway, and I say don’t leave that nice project you made in the junk drawer.
3ChordTruth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 09:13 PM   #24
ctom87
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ChordTruth View Post
Hey ctom87, that looks to me like you started with a piece of osage also called hedge apple, horse apple, bois d'arc, bodark, etc. Working or cutting that wood first results in a beautiful, golden color, and then over time the sunís UV light will turn the wood to that brown color. The best self bows are made of osage, and they all start out yellow and turn that brown color. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. All of my osage self bows have turned that brown color, and all the osage bows made by Native Americans now in museums are that brown color. Thatís just what osage does, and to me that brown is beautiful. You did a nice job on that pen, and cool idea to have LSU colors, sorry the yellow did not stay yellow. I like the two wood colors you ended up with anyway, and I say donít leave that nice project you made in the junk drawer.
Lots of great info here. Thank you for sharing! Had no idea I was turning Osage... Just bought it from a junk pile at my local Woodcraft. I am not familiar with the properties of Osage as you are, but I did know that Osage was great for bows. Personally I don't care for the color combination. If I can get another slimline pen kit, would you want the "twin" that I end up making from the two remaining halves of each blank?

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk